SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:36 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
New camera mount

I made a new camera mount. I have no idea how it'll work out since I didn't get a chance to test it before it got dark. I wanted to move the camera up and forward to try and get rid of the landing gear in the shot. It's rock solid, there is no wiggle in the mount at all. I'd like to make it out of acrylic if it works out ok. Click for bigger pic.

dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:44 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
lol
I used my "knobs" once to set up gains...no love there. I used them once to do the GPS stuff...still...nothing but hate.
So knobs... what are they good for...HUU! Absolutely nothing! SAY IT AGAIN!

oops...got carried away.

Oh and if I showed you all a video of my beast flying...could you tell me which gains are causing the twitching and if they should go up or down or am I stuck with tweek, try, tweek, try, charge battery, try, tweek....?
video definitely helps, it depends what type of twitching you're seeing. I made a video that might help you get there quicker on gain tuning, but seeing yours will help if mine doesn't get you there.
Naza Gain Effects (0 min 0 sec)
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:49 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,000 Posts
@alwaysconfused

Oh and if I showed you all a video of my beast flying...could you tell me which gains are causing the twitching and if they should go up or down or am I stuck with tweek, try, tweek, try, charge battery, try, tweek....?

To help you get a feel for gains, and what they do, click over to my blog and find the post on gains.
I've added to it several times and a link to Cervanchez's testing is there as well...

Also, on your posted video, I don't see a lot of what we call twitching.
Where are your gains presently?
Before I added camera stuff, my F550 gains were:
160/160/160/160
100/100
The airframe (just like yours) was as steady as I'm accustomed to seeing.
Now if you're looking for hanging in the sky like the moon, you might be asking a little too much.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jan 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:04 PM
NoLgs2StngArmsBigHeart!
USA, TX, Kilgore
Joined Apr 2010
601 Posts
>>>>>JJ<<<<< turned his Voltage Protector OFF just to see if it really worked or not!>>>>Dummy Dog!...LMAO!...JJ
JJtr1954 is offline Find More Posts by JJtr1954
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:11 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,000 Posts
Anonymity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJtr1954 View Post
>>>>>JJ<<<<< turned his Voltage Protector OFF just to see if it really worked or not!>>>>Dummy Dog!...LMAO!...JJ
You didn't have to confess...
I was trying to take it easy on you...
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:11 PM
Having fun again!!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
That's why I sent you the link to that huge Frsky index.
Something on your "to do" list should be to make contact with one of those Frsky fanboys who can help you...

I'm just curious here, and I mean no disrespect, but...
What possessed you (and a lot of others) to buy a radio system that is so difficult to use? Don't you guys do any pre-purchase research. Or was it strictly the impression that you were getting more for your $?
Hey TJ, he is running a FLYSKY not FRSKY

FRSKY makes plug in modules with telemetry for other manufacturers' transmitters (even Futaba and JR), along with receivers and telemetry goodies (gps, varo, temp, fuel, volt sensors). They do not make the FRYSKY system radio system (Tx and Rx).
They have noting to do with the programming or firmware for the Tx or any of the rebranded 9x type transmitters.

As far as I know they are two different companies in China, 1,400km apart.

I'm not sure there are any FLYSKY fan boys, most of the users mod the main boards and reflash the Tx with a variety of different firmware (er9x, open9x, gruvin9x and so on) that is basically open source. Once that's done they are noting like the stock 9x/ FLYSKY as every menu/page has changed from original.

For FLYSKY info look here,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=th9x&page=24

and here:
(forgive me for directing someone out of this board but this is the most comprehensive info on the Th9x (FLYSKY) Tx and firmware in one place.)
http://9xforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=37
^^^ Those are the guys that wrote the new firmwares to get the most out of the Tx.

Alwaysconfused:
In the reading I have done about the stock 9x firmware, I believe your switches are factory dedicated to channels/functions and are not programmable. Hence the reason why everyone upgrades and flashes new firmware, fully programmable even from your computer, dump it in via USB.
MTHead4u is offline Find More Posts by MTHead4u
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: er9x and Naza Setup
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:16 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,000 Posts
@MTHead4u

Man, was I ever off track.
I apologize.
That shows you how much I know about anything but Spektrum/JR!
Turnigy, Flysky, Frsky, Futaba...
They're all Greek to me.

alwaysconfused, listen to the man that knows better...
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:22 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,568 Posts
Quote:
And which knobs would that be?
The only thing I know of that's left to put on a knob is X1.
X2 is being used for IOC.

My mother taught me well.
Indeed, the NAZA doesn't know what knobs I have. Doesn't even know my gender.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:25 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Joined Sep 2004
3,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
I made a new camera mount. I have no idea how it'll work out since I didn't get a chance to test it before it got dark. I wanted to move the camera up and forward to try and get rid of the landing gear in the shot. It's rock solid, there is no wiggle in the mount at all. I'd like to make it out of acrylic if it works out ok. Click for bigger pic.
Nice. How heavy is it?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:33 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
Nice. How heavy is it?
The entire mount with camera is 260g. I just did a super quick test in my living room and I think it's going to work great. I could reduce the weight by drilling out some unnecessary material.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:42 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Joined Sep 2004
3,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
The entire mount with camera is 260g. I just did a super quick test in my living room and I think it's going to work great. I could reduce the weight by drilling out some unnecessary material.
I was thinking that. It will be heavier in acrylic too. How about carbon fiber sheet?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:47 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
I was thinking that. It will be heavier in acrylic too. How about carbon fiber sheet?
I have no experience with carbon fiber sheet, not sure how it is to work with. I used to be in the salt water reef tank hobby and I've made lots of things from acrylic. It doesn't seem heavy but I don't have much to compare it to. Right now I really like the rigidness of it. Also I like how the top plate presses back into the arms, with a thinner material it wouldn't be as effective I don't think. I'm open to suggestions, recommendations, and criticism.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:09 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
video definitely helps, it depends what type of twitching you're seeing. I made a video that might help you get there quicker on gain tuning, but seeing yours will help if mine doesn't get you there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twSop7fvkoQ
Ill have to wait until I get home from work since my laptop doesn't like playing youtube videos..lol
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:12 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead4u View Post
Alwaysconfused:
In the reading I have done about the stock 9x firmware, I believe your switches are factory dedicated to channels/functions and are not programmable. Hence the reason why everyone upgrades and flashes new firmware, fully programmable even from your computer, dump it in via USB.
I will definitely have to look into that.

And as far as the type of Tx I chose...well it was the right price at the right time..lol
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:13 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Man, was I ever off track.
I apologize.
That shows you how much I know about anything but Spektrum/JR!
Turnigy, Flysky, Frsky, Futaba...
They're all Greek to me.

alwaysconfused, listen to the man that knows better...
I thought that was you! lol
'
Thats why I love the place. I know I can get an answer sooner or later and I am learning so much everytime I click the link to here