Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:59 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
Spektrum vs Frsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
So I have a question... is the spektum Tx and good? I see so many people using them and how awesome it is. Just wondering if I should upgrade and send my current Tx and Rx to my plane.
I have always used Spektrum/JR and always will.
The proponents of Frsky say it offers more than S/JR or Futaba.
If you're mastering what you have, I think I'd see if the Frsky fanboys are right...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lipo Removal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Well what I have available for using are a 6 channel, a 7 channel and a 9 channel. The 6 is a futuba and it is set for something but has room in the model menu for more saves. The 7 channel is the eclipse pro from hitec. Haven't used it yet. Still brand new in the box.
The 9 channel is my flysky th9. It seems fine but I am wondering why if it has all these channels why I can only get the knobs to open as usable channels and not the other switches. As it stands I can only set 2 of the7 switches for anything.
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:34 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
Frsky

Quote:
Well what I have available for using are a 6 channel, a 7 channel and a 9 channel. The 6 is a futuba and it is set for something but has room in the model menu for more saves. The 7 channel is the eclipse pro from hitec. Haven't used it yet. Still brand new in the box.
The 9 channel is my flysky th9. It seems fine but I am wondering why if it has all these channels why I can only get the knobs to open as usable channels and not the other switches. As it stands I can only set 2 of the7 switches for anything.
That's why I sent you the link to that huge Frsky index.
Something on your "to do" list should be to make contact with one of those Frsky fanboys who can help you...

I'm just curious here, and I mean no disrespect, but...
What possessed you (and a lot of others) to buy a radio system that is so difficult to use? Don't you guys do any pre-purchase research. Or was it strictly the impression that you were getting more for your $?
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:43 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorhan View Post
kallend, the newer ( marked bat-data) spektrum ar7000 rxs have the preset failsafe option as well. these are now replaced with the ar7010 but the newer 7000s work fine. .might want to add those to your list...rob m
Thanks.

I thought it might be handy to compile a list so we are not wasting our time trying to solve unsolvable problems.

What we collectively know:

Rx.. Has "preset failsafe".. Described in manual

AR6210 .. no .. no
AR7000 .. yes .. no
AR7010 .. yes .. yes
AR7110 .. yes .. yes
AR8000 .. yes .. no
AR9020 .. yes .. yes
AR12020 .. yes .. yes
AR10000 .. ??? .. no
AR7610 .. ??? .. no
AR600 .. ??? .. no
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:46 PM
work all night and fly all day
USA, CA, San Fernando Valley
Joined May 2009
237 Posts
Hello
So I got a F450 with NAZA and GPS, at the AMA show.
Built it all up, connected it all up, set it up with assistant and tested for correct operation.
how to balance properly?
So ready for first flight? what is a newbee missing? what to look for, for first flight?
use gps for first or add later?
Thanks
dig
DIG2fly is offline Find More Posts by DIG2fly
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:48 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Joined Sep 2004
3,520 Posts
Quote:
So I have a question... is the spektum Tx and good? I see so many people using them and how awesome it is. Just wondering if I should upgrade and send my current Tx and Rx to my plane.
I have a DX6i, a DX8, and a bunch of Spektrum receivers from AR400 to AR8000. Never had a problem in machines from nitro pylon racers to nitro combat planes to nitro helis to my quad.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:03 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
$64,000 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIG2fly View Post
Hello
So I got a F450 with NAZA and GPS, at the AMA show.
Built it all up, connected it all up, set it up with assistant and tested for correct operation.
You're pretty sure of that?
how to balance properly?
If COG is at midpoint, your good.
So ready for first flight? what is a newbee missing? what to look for, for first flight?
Have you read the manual as thoroughly as you can?
Have you read as much of this thread and the GPS thread as you can stand?
Have you read the gouge and the wiki?

use gps for first or add later?
Nothing wrong with putting GPS on, but start out in Atti like the manual says.
Thanks
dig
Finally, if your answer to the reading questions is yes, you should know more than enough to test your wings...
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:08 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Joined Sep 2004
3,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead4u View Post
Ok, good on the IMU. It's good to go..
OK, I give in.

When does the IMU need calibrating? I've RTFM'd and can't find a description.

Also, what does "Disable all knob" do?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kallend; Jan 14, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:10 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
It should be mentioned that if you're planning on doing FPV in the future, don't get a Spektrum. I have not used one for FPV myself other than very short range, but I've read over and over that Spektrum is more susceptible to interference from FPV equipment and the range is reduced dramatically.

@ TJ regarding the Frysky stuff. When I bought my first Tx when getting back into this hobby I did research on a 9 ch system that was under $400 and ended up going with the Hitec A9 due to the built in telemetry and reasonable price compared to Futaba. Then come to find out as I was getting into FPV there was no way to get Rssi out of the Hitec combo. Then I came across the Frsky plug in module. The price was so cheap I figured why not give it a shot. Admittedly it was difficult to set up due to the documentation being even worse than DJI's. But I have never looked back. Here are some of the features available from the $25 Frsky rx that my $75 optima 9 doesn't offer:

1) rssi out
2) internal voltage monitoring as well as 2 auxillary voltage inputs
3) audible alarms for batt voltage, rssi, etc.
4) Combined ppm on ch 1 while still having standard servo outputs for ch 5-8 so really making it sort of a 12 ch rx. For example i use ch 7 and 8 for controlling my Eagle Tree while the Naza is controlled via cppm using all 8 ch. I share gains adjustments on ch 7-8 with the ET functions.
5) 1/3 the price for rx's, great when you're adding models to your fleet every week.
6) Full telemetry with any type of sensor you could want
7) Frsky is active on the forums and very responsive to input with frequent fw upgrades and choices.

I'm sure there's more but thats just off the top of my head. Also, if you mod a ER9X you get even more features. And just wait until their tx comes out soon... I wouldn't recommend the system to a beginner, but as far as I'm aware there's no system (even the over priced Futabas and such) that can do the same.

Wow, that went from a simple comment to an essay, but hopefully it helps somebody.
Cervanchez is offline Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:22 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
Imu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
OK, I give in.

When does the IMU need calibrating? I've RTFM'd and can't find a description.

Also, what does "Disable all knob" do?
The IMUwill tell you when you check it.
As far as a description of IMU...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_Measurement_Unit
I've always been scared to even click on "disable all knob".
Maybe Ed or someone can enlighten us...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jan 14, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:25 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
You're Elected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
It should be mentioned that if you're planning on doing FPV in the future, don't get a Spektrum. I have not used one for FPV myself other than very short range, but I've read over and over that Spektrum is more susceptible to interference from FPV equipment and the range is reduced dramatically.

@ TJ regarding the Frysky stuff. When I bought my first Tx when getting back into this hobby I did research on a 9 ch system that was under $400 and ended up going with the Hitec A9 due to the built in telemetry and reasonable price compared to Futaba. Then come to find out as I was getting into FPV there was no way to get Rssi out of the Hitec combo. Then I came across the Frsky plug in module. The price was so cheap I figured why not give it a shot. Admittedly it was difficult to set up due to the documentation being even worse than DJI's. But I have never looked back. Here are some of the features available from the $25 Frsky rx that my $75 optima 9 doesn't offer:

1) rssi out
2) internal voltage monitoring as well as 2 auxillary voltage inputs
3) audible alarms for batt voltage, rssi, etc.
4) Combined ppm on ch 1 while still having standard servo outputs for ch 5-8 so really making it sort of a 12 ch rx. For example i use ch 7 and 8 for controlling my Eagle Tree while the Naza is controlled via cppm using all 8 ch. I share gains adjustments on ch 7-8 with the ET functions.
5) 1/3 the price for rx's, great when you're adding models to your fleet every week.
6) Full telemetry with any type of sensor you could want
7) Frsky is active on the forums and very responsive to input with frequent fw upgrades and choices.

I'm sure there's more but thats just off the top of my head. Also, if you mod a ER9X you get even more features. And just wait until their tx comes out soon... I wouldn't recommend the system to a beginner, but as far as I'm aware there's no system (even the over priced Futabas and such) that can do the same.

Wow, that went from a simple comment to an essay, but hopefully it helps somebody.
That answer makes sense.
So, the FPV crowd is suggesting to you guys that Frsky is a good choice.
Being a LOS pilot, I've not wandered into that forest.
That's why it was previously confusing to me...
Thanks!
Alwaysconfused, here's the fanboy with your answers!
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jan 14, 2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Appreciation
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:28 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Alwaysconfused, here's the fanboy with your answers!
Unfortunately I don't have his Tx or Rx so I can't help but would gladly if I could. But I can almost guarantee that the guys on these threads can. They are a very technical bunch and are quick to answer.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471122

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176328

That's where I learned everything I know about Frsky
Cervanchez is offline Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:29 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
The IMUwill tell you when you check it.
As far as a description of IMU...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_Measurement_Unit
I've always been scared to even click on "disable all knob".
Maybe Ed or someone can enlighten us...
Disable all knob I think means all the knobs will not register...or...it could mean..Disable all knobs or we will break into your home and rape your gold fish and talk sternly to your cat.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:39 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
Look, But Don't Touch!

Quote:
Disable all knob I think means all the knobs will not register...or...it could mean..Disable all knobs or we will break into your home and rape your gold fish and talk sternly to your cat.
And which knobs would that be?
The only thing I know of that's left to put on a knob is X1.
X2 is being used for IOC.

My mother taught me well.
"Disable" w.r.t. anything Naza should not be taken lightly.
So I'm a little slow to push a button just because it's there.
Ask the poor guy who posts every now and then that disabled his voltage protection and can't get it to turn back on...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jan 14, 2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: More detail
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:33 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
And which knobs would that be?
The only thing I know of that's left to put on a knob is X1.
X2 is being used for IOC.

My mother taught me well.
"Disable" w.r.t. anything Naza should not be taken lightly.
So I'm a little slow to push a button just because it's there.
Ask the poor guy who posts every now and then that disabled his voltage protection and can't get it to turn back on...
lol
I used my "knobs" once to set up gains...no love there. I used them once to do the GPS stuff...still...nothing but hate.
So knobs... what are they good for...HUU! Absolutely nothing! SAY IT AGAIN!

oops...got carried away.

Oh and if I showed you all a video of my beast flying...could you tell me which gains are causing the twitching and if they should go up or down or am I stuck with tweek, try, tweek, try, charge battery, try, tweek....?