Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:53 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Oct 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
Yes the esc's are all set. All spinning the motors in the right direction and the proper props on each motor.

As far as calibrate the esc's no. I haven't seen any steps for that so if you could link me on something that would be great otherwise I haven't done that. I do have some Simons that work great though and am seriously considering swapping them out.

I have the switches working. I was diggin in the back of my Tx working out how to mod it so I can use a lipo instead of all those AA's (easy as heck to do as it seems) and there were a few wires that looked loose...touched them and they flopped right over. Reconnected them and golden.

Glad I decided to open the case and mod this thing or i would never have seen that.

I have to recharge the battery so maybe I can dig up how to do the ESC's by the time it takes to recharge and try to fly this thing.
No, don't fly yet!
Calibrate the esc's first. I did it one by one, bypassing the naza. Meaning, connect one esc directly to the throttle output of the receiver. With everything still turned off, give full throttle. Turn on Tx. Power quad. Wait for beep of esc. Throttle down to zero. Esc will beep again. Done, unplug battery, repeat with other esc's. Now they will all be in sync. I don't know if you need to set your esc's parameters because I don't know them. Maybe somebody elzse bere knows? Once everything is done, try in manual mode of the naza without the props mounted if the sticks work the way they should.
Edit: ok, scratch the calibration, but check your sticks next if everything is in the right order and orientation
1ooo0aks is offline Find More Posts by 1ooo0aks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:58 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,437 Posts
Quote:
Ok.. DJI F550 all built and connected.

I followed every thing that was on the downloaded manual to the letter, step by step.

I have to set the throttle to lower right and right stick to upper right to arm it.
I throttle up and it starts to lift and drift.

!
Your elevator channel is reversed. No wonder it drifts.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:03 PM
Joined Oct 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
Your elevator channel is reversed. No wonder it drifts.
I think so, too. Plus, it might be in manual. Let us know in which mode your naza is.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:05 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,503 Posts
To Everyone Helping alwaysconfused:

I'm really proud to be associated with all of you.
Your answering my request (and alwaysconfused's) speaks volumes about what we all feel is one of the best hobbies.
I think it will change alwaysconfused's outlook as well...
Thanks!

And, where is GW?
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: "In Stock"
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:12 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Uh oh! I better help rather than say help is coming....

Go back into the assistant and recalibrate your controls. Make sure all movements of the sticks make the correct movements of the sliders. Reverse controls that need it. Make sure all your switches do what they should. Make sure your flight modes highlight in blue. Rewrite any changes.

And still no help from GW...lol
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:24 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ooo0aks View Post
Yep.
And you have a NAZA? We should get together, I'd like to talk to someone else using/building these things. Are you going to the AMA Expo tomorrow?
Av8Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:24 PM
Having fun again!!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2012
87 Posts
Is the ER a tx or a new FW version?

Google er9x, it's a mod you can do to the 9x Tx to increase functionality. I believe there are also threads on here about it. Not a requirement at all though. It was just something else for me to mess with. lol

I worked out the issues for the switches. They were not connected or fully seated. I opened the back of the TX to see if I could mod it to take a small lipo I have and the wires just flopped...fixed. The switches are set for GPS-Atti and FAILSAFE the other switch is set for home-land and home lock.

Well that was an easy but frustrating fix lol. So the DJI assistant is now showing the flight mode pointer moving when you activate the switches AND each mode when activated is highlighted blue? Correct?

I am not sure what did it but I can get the thing to arm in the "upper right or Lower left setting now (loose wires?)

Definitely interesting, for giggles you might want to plug a servo into that port of the receiver and make sure it moves correctly to the stick input. Just in case the Tx has an issue.

I checked. I was use to always having to reverse the throttle on my old (bought used in '99) futuba so thats the first thing I always do now...habbits...lol

You mean it slowly continues to increase motor speed on it's own?.Yes, I bring it to about 40-50% throttle...it will slowly come up...then I have to go about 60%...it slowly catches up and then it lifts and drifts. No stability right now...had it about 4ft high and its wandering all over the place...thats why I was wondering if maybe the SimonK esc's I have will work as they did great by my first quad.

Ya, somethings still not right. You have some of the smartest people chiming in now. If you can, post some pics of the setup and screen shots of the assistant while holding the sticks in full left, right, centered. Without having the quad in hand it will be the only way to see what's happening.
MTHead4u is offline Find More Posts by MTHead4u
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: er9x and Naza Setup
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:29 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Where's the cake?[/COLOR]

And it looks like while I was slowly typing (and thinking) a few guys beat me to the party! Hope your outlook is improving...
NO CAKE! lol unless it is sugarless....lol

And yes...the guests are arriving...YAY! Outlook is still somewhat dim but it can improve.. If I can get this thing to hover in one place before the end of the month I might keep all my other gear and give my foamies a rest...
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:34 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,160 Posts
Thanks to all the Contributors

I am sure that GW is playing with his stuff!

Just kidding. This forum has matured over the last year. That is the good thing. The challenges are the Naza in all forms is about to emerge as the dominate controller for the masses. Just my opinion. You may disagree. That means that it will take an army of those that have "been there, done that" users to continue to contribute. I do have one caution. When responding to a question, please RTFM first before replying. I keep mine open on my desktop all the time. TJ is great at being able to search the threads for answers. My biggest fear is the dissemination of misinformation. There is one thing worse than no advise and that is bad advice. I never want to be responsible for someone crashing their multi rotor. This is peoples money. Some of which can barely afford to participate in our mutual addiction. I admire them for the sacrifice. Respect what they are trying to do.

To those that are now getting into this great sport, we salute you. We were all where you are at some point. We would never had advanced with out the help of many good people that contribute their time to help others as they were helped. But please become a student of the sport. Read the threads, there are many on the Naza and the problems that people have had. Then ask a question that hasn't been answered at least 1,000 times. Second, don't start a new thread for your question. If you ask it here or the Naza GPS, it will get answered. I will not speak for everyone, but I have a number of threads that I monitor. When I have gone through them, I will check the other posts in Talk and MultiRotor Electronics. If you stay around here you are more likely to get a right answer than in the general forum. Once you are settled in and know what end is up, it is your turn. Always give a little something back, it will pay dividends in the end for everyone. But always be aware of the advice that I gave above to the seasoned pros. We are not infallible and believe me we don't know everything. We fly these guys, we don't design them. But we always try to give it our best.

Off my soap box but I am really proud of how this has developed. Thank you all for asking your questions and those that try to answer them. We all learn in the process.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Tahoe Ed; Jan 11, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:34 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead4u View Post
Is the ER a tx or a new FW version?

Google er9x, it's a mod you can do to the 9x Tx to increase functionality. I believe there are also threads on here about it. Not a requirement at all though. It was just something else for me to mess with. lol
Ill have to look into that especailly if it opens up more options

Well that was an easy but frustrating fix lol. So the DJI assistant is now showing the flight mode pointer moving when you activate the switches AND each mode when activated is highlighted blue? Correct?
I agree. Just happy I dont have to throw it on the fire and dance with a dead chicken to chase off the bad juju

Definitely interesting, for giggles you might want to plug a servo into that port of the receiver and make sure it moves correctly to the stick input. Just in case the Tx has an issue.

Ya, somethings still not right. You have some of the smartest people chiming in now. If you can, post some pics of the setup and screen shots of the assistant while holding the sticks in full left, right, centered. Without having the quad in hand it will be the only way to see what's happening.
Ill get some pics in a sec and post them
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:37 PM
Joined Oct 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Chuck View Post
And you have a NAZA? We should get together, I'd like to talk to someone else using/building these things. Are you going to the AMA Expo tomorrow?
I sent a pm...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:07 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
so, i just spent the evening balancing a bunch of props, and i just eliminated all the jello from my gopro on the F550! i couldn't believe how far out these DJI props were!
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ooo0aks View Post
No, don't fly yet!
Calibrate the esc's first. I did it one by one, bypassing the naza. Meaning, connect one esc directly to the throttle output of the receiver. With everything still turned off, give full throttle. Turn on Tx. Power quad. Wait for beep of esc. Throttle down to zero. Esc will beep again. Done, unplug battery, repeat with other esc's. Now they will all be in sync. I don't know if you need to set your esc's parameters because I don't know them. Maybe somebody elzse bere knows? Once everything is done, try in manual mode of the naza without the props mounted if the sticks work the way they should.
Edit: ok, scratch the calibration, but check your sticks next if everything is in the right order and orientation
Ok so...if I am going to do this I will have to unsolder every ESC from the PDB? (power distribution board)?
Because I am hearing all 6 ESC's going BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP...In a rhythmic tone...this is gonna be a long night....again
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:43 PM
Having fun again!!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Ok so...if I am going to do this I will have to unsolder every ESC from the PDB? (power distribution board)?
Because I am hearing all 6 ESC's going BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP...In a rhythmic tone...this is gonna be a long night....again
NO CALIBRATION needed for DJI ESC. Hence why you didn't see any info for doing so..

They are already setup for the Naza. That's only if you switch to different ESC (SimonK).
MTHead4u is offline Find More Posts by MTHead4u
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: er9x and Naza Setup
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:49 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,343 Posts
DJI Naza M Cat Tracking GPS Mode (1 min 16 sec)
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition