HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Not sure how so many of you luck out and get a multirotor that works right out of the box with practically no effort other than to assemble it.
It is so overwhelming to get something you pay so much money for and it nearly becomes an exorcise in frustration just to get it to do something you tell it to do in the first hour of plugging in the power.
I am at my whits end with the whole thing and am so disappointed that with the amount of money these things cost there is so much work that still needs to be done to it other than putting it together.
This is my third attempt at getting a multirotor to do more than drain batteries while programming, tuning, reprogramming, retuning, cursing, spitting and generally being a large, expensive and aggravating paper weight. I have built 3. All different, all new and each one was a promised "put it together and fly" deal and all they do is beep, tweet and sometimes even turn the props but no flights, no hovers, no nothing. But I see all these videos of people flying their multi and I see all these helpful threads but so far nothing has been accomplished.
I am honestly not an idiot. I am honestly good at building and making things work. But so far this has been THE most disappointing hobby I have taken on yet.
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:47 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
But so far this has been THE most disappointing hobby I have taken on yet.
Oh i think most of us find it very frustrating at times, but definitely not disappointing.

Today's a good example for me:

Took the F550 out to the airfield to fly, had just repositioned my video tx for better reception, had enough batteries for about an hour and a half of flying. Get to the field, my car almost gets stuck driving in, then finally gets stuck. Spent an hour getting it unstuck. Spent an hour shovelling paths from the car to the tables to the clubhouse. Got the F550 up in the air, recording my buddy take off his bix. 5 seconds later recorded my buddy crashing his bix. He forgot to do a preflight and he had lost his rudder. Spent the rest of the 10 minutes on that battery flying around checking the video reception, was decent, noticed some problems that i have to fix. Even tested the failsafe RTH from 200 feet away, worked great. Brought her in to land on the table, 3 feet before i get there one of the motors quits and she flips into 3 feet of snow. Thankfully no damage. Something was loose, got it working again. Decided to call it quits till i can figure out for sure. Tried to get the car out. Stuck. Spent another hour with ropes, chains, etc and my buddy towed me out of the field.

Back at the shop now. So out of 3.5 hours at the field, i spent 3 of them shovelling, got a 10 minute flight in, and now i gotta figure out what the problem is

Frustrating, yes, disappointing? no

My F550 was an ARF and it did take me the better part of a day to get the programming figured out, but she works fine, has its quirks like anything else, but the NAZA + GPS work great for the most part
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:49 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,842 Posts
@alwaysconfused

I'm pretty sure that your problems are related to your choice of trans/rec.
There is nothing wrong with the Frsky stuff.
It's just different, and requires a bit more knowledge than the standard brands.
I'm a Spektrum/JR man myself (had to get in a plug).
If you'll click over to my blog, you'll find that about 6 or 8 posts down I saved a link to a Frsky mega index.
Check that out.
Also, if you're patient, I'm sure a Frsky fan will eventually notice your dilemma and try to help.
Good luck!
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:53 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,842 Posts
Pointy Things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
My new setup:

The GoPro mount is the plate it comes packaged on screwed to the bottom plate with a thin rubber washer and nylon screws. The legs are carbon fiber flat stock zip-tied on and together.

I'm working on a video clip but Live Movie Maker doesn't like my 1440p video. Hope to figure that out or take a new clip soon.
Do those pointed gear extensions tend to ice-pick their way into the groung when you land a little hard?

With my windy field, I'm afraid if one of them hit before the others, I'd see a quick flip...
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:59 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,842 Posts
Don't Get Frustrated...

Quote:
Not sure how so many of you luck out and get a multirotor that works right out of the box with practically no effort other than to assemble it.
It is so overwhelming to get something you pay so much money for and it nearly becomes an exorcise in frustration just to get it to do something you tell it to do in the first hour of plugging in the power.
I am at my whits end with the whole thing and am so disappointed that with the amount of money these things cost there is so much work that still needs to be done to it other than putting it together.
This is my third attempt at getting a multirotor to do more than drain batteries while programming, tuning, reprogramming, retuning, cursing, spitting and generally being a large, expensive and aggravating paper weight. I have built 3. All different, all new and each one was a promised "put it together and fly" deal and all they do is beep, tweet and sometimes even turn the props but no flights, no hovers, no nothing. But I see all these videos of people flying their multi and I see all these helpful threads but so far nothing has been accomplished.
I am honestly not an idiot. I am honestly good at building and making things work. But so far this has been THE most disappointing hobby I have taken on yet.
All you're seeing is the end products of many frustrations like you're experiencing.
We all have our moments.
This hobby is more patience building than golf.
The "put it together and fly pilots" are like the 99th percentile.
I know I'm not one of them...
Like I told you in a previous post, I'm no good to you with Frsky.

Frsky pilots: get over here and help before we lose a brother flyer!
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:11 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Do those pointed gear extensions tend to ice-pick their way into the groung when you land a little hard?

With my windy field, I'm afraid if one of them hit before the others, I'd see a quick flip...
Yes, absolutely. And if I could get my video editing working I would show you a video of it. I think it's manageable but something you need to be aware of.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:36 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,797 Posts
It was beautiful, still and sunny this morning so I thought I would mount my camera and do a quick test flight before work.

Armed great, took off in Attitude mode after about ten feet up I switched to GPS, hovered in place for about 20 seconds then gave it some throttle, forward flight and everything was going great. But I noticed that the throttle wasn't reacting to my input the way I thought it should so I started to bringing it back to land and when I gave it a little yaw the throttle increased significantly, I lowered the throttle almost to zero just to arrest the ascent, it started to come down I gave it a little throttle because I didn't want it to shut off being below 10%, then the power started to oscillate up and down.

What would cause this?

I flew it this afternoon, not in direct sunlight and it seemed to be fine???
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:41 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,842 Posts
Sunlight on the Baro Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Chuck View Post
It was beautiful, still and sunny this morning so I thought I would mount my camera and do a quick test flight before work.

Armed great, took off in Attitude mode after about ten feet up I switched to GPS, hovered in place for about 20 seconds then gave it some throttle, forward flight and everything was going great. But I noticed that the throttle wasn't reacting to my input the way I thought it should so I started to bringing it back to land and when I gave it a little yaw the throttle increased significantly, I lowered the throttle almost to zero just to arrest the ascent, it started to come down I gave it a little throttle because I didn't want it to shut off being below 10%, then the power started to oscillate up and down.

What would cause this?

I flew it this afternoon, not in direct sunlight and it seemed to be fine???
It sure sounds like our voodoo interference phenomena.
Click on my blog and find the light sensitivity post...
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:47 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post

Frustrating, yes, disappointing? no

My F550 was an ARF and it did take me the better part of a day to get the programming figured out, but she works fine, has its quirks like anything else, but the NAZA + GPS work great for the most part
I started on mine last night about 200am. It is now 8:45pm. Im still plugging away at it but if it doesnt make progress soon I am selling it all and going back my foam plane o_0

Quote:

Frsky pilots: get over here and help before we lose a brother flyer!
Ill hang out here on this forums for a week or so...lol If I can't get a resolution Ill start hanging out in the "Trade" section and sell it all.... then go buy a stuffed puppy for my grand daughter... prolly a better deal...maybe.. (feeling the grumps coming on)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:54 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,842 Posts
GW, where are you?

Quote:
I started on mine last night about 200am. It is now 8:45pm. Im still plugging away at it but if it doesnt make progress soon I am selling it all and going back my foam plane o_0

Ill hang out here on this forums for a week or so...lol If I can't get a resolution Ill start hanging out in the "Trade" section and sell it all.... then go buy a stuffed puppy for my grand daughter... prolly a better deal...maybe.. (feeling the grumps coming on)
GW, you're a Frsky guy, albiet a new one.
Share some of your newfound knowledge with this guy before he commits seppuku.
And you'd better not be staying quiet so that you can bid on his equipment...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jan 11, 2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: fumble typing...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:56 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,951 Posts
Quote:

Naw don't give up, you'll get it going for sure, it took me one full day to get her assembled nicely then another whole day to figure out how to program it In the end i was saved because someone else posted model files for the F550 + gaza + GPS that i could just copy over to my DX8 (that likely saved me 2 days )

When i put together my super sky surfer, i likely put 60 hours into the build and getting the electronics working, she flies so great now it was totally worth it, and i don't even have the RTH figured out yet! i figure that'll be another 10-20 hours

if it's any consolation, getting through these obstacles is what makes you a tried and true RC pilot
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:56 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
And you'd better not be staying quite so that you can bid on his equipment...

Thats the funniest post I have seen to date... I lol'd!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:13 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,842 Posts
Gw

Quote:

Thats the funniest post I have seen to date... I lol'd!
You don't know GW like we do...
I might even have to refuse to help him anymore.
He PMs me like I'm a doctor who makes house calls!

See how this can have a humorous side?
You'll see that it's worth it...
Be patient (it's a virtue)

You aught to go back and see how ragged out I was when a new Naza was DOA.
When I figured I'd done all that I could, and was returning it for warranty consideration, several of the fellow posters spent forum time with me drowning our sorrows and solving the world's problems...
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:13 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Oct 2009
53 Posts
Quote:

Where are you from? I just switched from Frysky to Spektrum on my Quad but it worked with both. It sounds that the ESCs are not plugged into the right channels. Remove all props, unplug all ESCs and find out what channel on th Rx side is what, maybe with a servo. Then follow the manual again.
You shouldn't arm it the way you do.
1ooo0aks is offline Find More Posts by 1ooo0aks
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:17 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,797 Posts
Quote:
It sure sounds like our voodoo interference phenomena.
Click on my blog and find the light sensitivity post...
I'm somewhat skeptical about this too, however, the sun was definitely on the left side, but this wasn't a little variation in altitude, it was a significant variation in throttle. Has anyone else experience this?

How do you fix this?
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck