HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:08 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_C View Post
About vibrations, there's 2 options, either you try to "isolate" the cam from the rest with whatever, it's all about trial and error because its all about resonancies...

OR

You can try to tie as much mass together so it's hard to make it vibrate (more mass will be less sensitive to high freq vibes). I went this way, see the sample below, it's smooth IMHO.. Plz note I epoxy-glued 2x 6mm carbon tubing under the frame, to make the front part stiffer. And the GoPro baseplate is secured with 2 nylon screws.
Thanks for sharing your setup and for posting pictures to make it clear as day. That gives me some ideas. I think your the first person I've seen that has tried to make the bottom plate stiffer, good idea.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:13 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,029 Posts
You guys are lazy!
It's not that hard to balance a motor, there are even ways to do it without an iPhone! It takes me about an hour to do all four motors and props and the motors generally only have to be done once (at least until you get significant bearing wear). Balancing props too is very easy. Once done you rarely need to isolate anything, your picures are always better, your ship is much quieter and your frame (especialy HT frames) isn't slowly disolving. You'll even need less loctite! I have a how-to page for this if you like and there are many, many youtube vids dedicated to it.
C'mon, buck up!!
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PopWing 1300 FPV Wing
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:21 PM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,128 Posts
NP!

Forgot to say thats one can also get better result by setting the GoPro to higer frames-per-sec. Thus you reduce the jello / rolling shutter effect. By shooting at 50FPS instead of 25FPS (if you're PAL) or at 60 instead of 30 (if NTSC), you mathematically divide the shutter effect by 2.

And also that this kind of front mount shows the propellers in wide angle mode (170), but in medium angle (120) it's a free view.
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Constantly! My hexa is about $3k in the air and recently I have been taking pictures inside a chemical plant for a friend. There are areas I am not allowed because if there is a spark everything goes BOOM!

My hands don't shake, my knees get the shakes. After the 3rd or 4th battery it goes away but the first one is hell.
Yea. It does go away after flying a bit. So I guess the solution is when you get to a unfamiliar site with potential hazards its best to do practice run somewhere near but much safer. Do you or have you used the Nazain GPS mode in doors?
Malinois1 is offline Find More Posts by Malinois1
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
You guys are lazy!
It's not that hard to balance a motor, there are even ways to do it without an iPhone! It takes me about an hour to do all four motors and props and the motors generally only have to be done once (at least until you get significant bearing wear). Balancing props too is very easy. Once done you rarely need to isolate anything, your picures are always better, your ship is much quieter and your frame (especialy HT frames) isn't slowly disolving. You'll even need less loctite! I have a how-to page for this if you like and there are many, many youtube vids dedicated to it.
C'mon, buck up!!
C'mon, give it up! Post the page already!!!!! Lol
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Avoid local retailers for SD cards.

$99 @ BestBuy
$66 @ Newegg.com w/free shipping and no tax

Newegg is normally about 3-4 days to my door.
Heck I got a wifi 32 gig micro SD card for about $75.00 at my local electronic shop here in Japan. It's a class 10. Not sure if the brand is sold in states and can not say its TOL.... But the brand is Pq1 or PQI Air.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:04 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinois1 View Post
C'mon, give it up! Post the page already!!!!! Lol
Check!
http://itsqv.homeserver.com/wiki/ind...otor_Balancing
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:06 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,029 Posts
Slightly off topic

I know this is off a bit but we have had a fair amount of Lipo quality discussion here in the past and I thought this is worth sharing.

REVO LIPO PRODUCTION (13 min 1 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:14 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinois1 View Post
Heck I got a wifi 32 gig micro SD card for about $75.00 at my local electronic shop here in Japan. It's a class 10. Not sure if the brand is sold in states and can not say its TOL.... But the brand is Pq1 or PQI Air.
$75?
I never use anything above 8 gig in my camera because I simply don't need the capacity. 22 minutes (my last FPV flight) of 720P/60fps is around 3 Gb. Also, in my DVR class 6 is the most trouble free (~$14) and in my my GoPro class 6 works as well as a class 10 ($21 at Newegg).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:28 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
After a couple early crashes I decided I would only fly the expensive GoPro in its case. Plus, for winter flying it keeps the snow out. I took the plastic plate the GoPro came mounted on in its display packaging and bolted it to the lip on my Quad. I then use the provided tilt mount to attach the GoPro to the plate. I experimented with vibration isolation between the plate and the lip but decided I get the best video without any vibration isolation.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:33 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
Would this card work in the GoPro?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-32GB...item2c6595ba5f
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:41 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
https://gopro.zendesk.com/entries/22...ecommendations

Depending on the GoPro and what modes you want to shoot you may not need a class 10 card.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:44 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
It should be fine. I really don't notice any difference between the class 6 and class 10 cards I have in my GoPro2. The class 10 is a Sandisk. There is a lot of banter out there on some higher end cards causing the GP2 to freeze up but I have not seen this on mine. There are also a lot of people blaming a firmware upgrade so big mystery there I guess.

Good luck!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:24 AM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
$75?
I never use anything above 8 gig in my camera because I simply don't need the capacity. 22 minutes (my last FPV flight) of 720P/60fps is around 3 Gb. Also, in my DVR class 6 is the most trouble free (~$14) and in my my GoPro class 6 works as well as a class 10 ($21 at Newegg).
Right thats all you will need. But this is 32gig micro WiFi. If it was not a wifi card I wouldn't expect to pay anywhere near that amount. I shoot alot of video using GOPRO not for just RC. But dog traininga as well. Me being me sometimes Im fast on the go only to find out when Im shooting that I dont have enough space on my card. So it suits me well.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:41 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
Usually I would avoid a local retailer, and almost never would I buy something from BestBuy. But when I get a new toy I want to play with it right away. I picked up a 32GB class 10 card at TigerDirect (formally CompUSA) and only payed about a $8 dollar premium over Newegg.
People Best Buy was selling the Sandisk 32GB Micro SD Memory Card
$29.99 a few weeks ago they will price match GoPro.com at $49.99 all the time.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition