Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:38 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
You sometimes get trapped there.
You can pay a third of the camera's cost for a decent SD card...
Avoid local retailers for SD cards.

$99 @ BestBuy
$66 @ Newegg.com w/free shipping and no tax

Newegg is normally about 3-4 days to my door.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:57 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Avoid local retailers for SD cards.

$99 @ BestBuy
$66 @ Newegg.com w/free shipping and no tax

Newegg is normally about 3-4 days to my door.
Usually I would avoid a local retailer, and almost never would I buy something from BestBuy. But when I get a new toy I want to play with it right away. I picked up a 32GB class 10 card at TigerDirect (formally CompUSA) and only payed about a $8 dollar premium over Newegg.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:56 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
I never really paid much attention in the past to how people were mounting their GoPro's. I previously mounted mine naked on some moongel and it worked great, almost no vibrations. Well that GoPro is now dead at the bottom of a swamp and might of stood a chance had I kept it in it's case. Now that I have replaced it with a new GoPro Black I would like to take every precaution against damage and keep it in the case.

So my question is how are people mounting their GoPro's when using the case? I tried zip tying foot of the mount to the front tab but that had lot's of vibration.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:59 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
So my question is how are people mounting their GoPro's when using the case? I tried zip tying foot of the mount to the front tab but that had lot's of vibration.
3M doublesided tape and a velcro strap for insurance. Only came off in one crash.

Vibrations in the Hero3 Black on the highest settings is VERY vibration prone. Balance EVERYTHING or reduce the settings.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:04 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
So your sticking the mount base right to the plate? I'm using 1440/48fps mode because the manual suggested it was best for high action capture.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:07 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Mine was a hero2 just stuck to the plate. Little to no jello but I balanced everything.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Question. Is it just me, but every time I fly my quad in a new place I get extremely nervous. Sometimes so much so my hand start to shake. I know the reason of course it's because I fear a crash especially when flying near water or trees. Does anyone else experience this?
Malinois1 is offline Find More Posts by Malinois1
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:17 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinois1 View Post
Question. Is it just me, but every time I fly my quad in a new place I get extremely nervous. Sometimes so much so my hand start to shake. I know the reason of course it's because I fear a crash especially when flying near water or trees. Does anyone else experience this?
Constantly! My hexa is about $3k in the air and recently I have been taking pictures inside a chemical plant for a friend. There are areas I am not allowed because if there is a spark everything goes BOOM!

My hands don't shake, my knees get the shakes. After the 3rd or 4th battery it goes away but the first one is hell.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:41 PM
Norge, Rogaland, Bryne
Joined Oct 2011
334 Posts
Why balance props and motors when you have the green gelpad

Just an example I did only putting the pad under gopro with thin rubberband.

Sandtangen winter Gopro 3 Black Edition (5 min 31 sec)
Efti is offline Find More Posts by Efti
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:42 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Because vibrations put extra wear and tear on your motors, can work screws loose, and are hell on gyros.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:49 PM
Norge, Rogaland, Bryne
Joined Oct 2011
334 Posts
I know. Just wanted to show that it is possible to get the dampening good without
Efti is offline Find More Posts by Efti
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:55 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinois1 View Post
yup me too, my hexa isn't as expensive as other peoples' here, but it still clocks in around the $1300 mark, so yeah i get really nervous in new areas
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:04 PM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,481 Posts
About vibrations, there's 2 options, either you try to "isolate" the cam from the rest with whatever, it's all about trial and error because its all about resonancies...

OR

You can try to tie as much mass together so it's hard to make it vibrate (more mass will be less sensitive to high freq vibes). I went this way, see the sample below, it's smooth IMHO.. Plz note I epoxy-glued 2x 6mm carbon tubing under the frame, to make the front part stiffer. And the GoPro baseplate is secured with 2 nylon screws.

Quadcopter - Bressieux (38) - 31/12/2012 (3 min 16 sec)
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:06 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efti View Post
Why balance props and motors when you have the green gelpad

Just an example I did only putting the pad under gopro with thin rubberband.
I want to mount the GoPro in the waterproof case. It's shape and surfaces do not allow for just putting a gel pad under it and securing it with a rubberband. My post above clearly states that I used to do it the way you do and I'm looking for an alternative that keeps the GoPro in the case.