HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:41 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I didn't know that they had IR LEDs that could shine that far.
If a conventional LED is any indication, the brightest I've found shines about 15' to 20'.
I wonder if a reflector might help?
I have run the 800 nm low output IR LEDs, on the FPV summit. and it worked pretty well, but you could see the red glow from the LEDs.

I have ordered these 940 NM high output LEDs. they should be here in a couple of days.

I am going to experiment with a reflector, and with 1W /vs 3W

There is still the option of using an intensifier lens also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270709280240...84.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230766847343...84.m1439.l2649
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:45 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,641 Posts
I like the Quadframes legs apart from the weight. Might use them if I wanted the Lipos down low but not otherwise. The 155mm ones are approximately 4 times the weight of the 160mm landing gear on my F550!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:11 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
I like the Quadframes legs apart from the weight. Might use them if I wanted the Lipos down low but not otherwise. The 155mm ones are approximately 4 times the weight of the 160mm landing gear on my F550!
Yes, a bit heavy. But very sturdy too and the weight is centered rather than out on the arms like I had before. The short ones are lighter than the tall ones of course. The short ones weight 140 grams (5 oz). The fiberglass Got Heli legs I removed were 3 oz. So for me it was a net weight gain of 2 oz.

Since I run two batteries removes a lot of clutter from the top plate.

I did a couple flights today and the gear is really stable and I like the looks in the air a lot better than with the long outboard legs. Of course with the Goggles on the only time I see it is take off and landings, which I always do without Goggles.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:51 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,641 Posts
Nearly all the tall landing gear sets I looked at were excessively heavy IMO. A really heavy landing (as in high descent rate) is pretty unlikely with the Naza. I saved around 150 grams, which is roughly the weight of a 5800 cell. The Mikrokopter landing gear I used on my quad was even lighter, but too flexible for the heavier F550.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:02 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,725 Posts
I'm using the skids off my T-Rex 500 which is perfect because they are light and strong. It also takes the stress of landings off the arms and their weak points (where they are screwed into the frame) and puts the stress on the strongest part, which is the lowest frame. I've got 4" extensions to make room for the vTX antenna which is why I want to mount the vTX on the top (mentioned in another thread) so I can get rid of those chicken legs.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:41 PM
Westland Michigan.
Joined Jan 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Yes Mike, these are the new legs. Took a while to get here from Poland. I don't know if they are stocked in the US yet; weren't when I ordered them.

I haven't flow the GoPro yet, but it is mounted the same exact way as before, under the front lip. I tried various methods of isolation and found that NO isolation gave me the best picture. I think the GoPro can get some type of secondary harmonic when on its own isolation. I really wasn't getting any Jello with the rigid mount.

Also at one point I put little foam balls on the bottom of my old legs. This made a lot of Jello. I think that the propwash hitting the balls on the legs created the problem. I took the balls off the legs and it went away. By this logic I think no legs are the brest option.

I think a nice stable platform with smooth props such as the Graups and low CG should not have a lot of vibration. I also shoot 720 x 60 fps which probably helps.

BTW, I mounted the new gear a bit differently than the designer intended, and I think better. The designer intended for it to attach to those slots in the lips of the quad bottom plate. I put about five thin washers between the black frame and the aluminum angle that attaches to it, to located the aluminum a few mm closer to the center of the frame and allow the aluminum angle to be attached by two of the same bolts that hold the bottom frame of the quad to the quad arms. This takes stress off of the those lips and gives a very solid mounting in my opinion.
U2, You mentioned 155mm legs on your 550. Do you have pics of that? how much were each of the sets of legs (US)?? Thanks a lot !!
mikemijal is offline Find More Posts by mikemijal
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:50 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,843 Posts
Hello Mike!

Have not heard from you in a while...
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

And Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all you other multirotor pilots!
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Dec 20, 2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Maybe that covers all religions...
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:08 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
Sooo, I've been wanting to do this since day one of flying the naza, and I'm finally getting around to doing it but I don't want to spend a lot of time on this if its already been done:
The plan is, tie the quad up on strings, mount an accelerometer, and log the accelerometer voltage on my Eagle Tree data logger for a range of gain settings, for each flying mode, with a step input (full stick to neutral or vise versa) so we can finally quantitatively define the gain effects. I could overlay all the graphs to get a good look at the relative effects.

I did step one tonight and the results were very enlightening. I tied up my quad so that it rotates about the roll axis. I programmed the basic roll gains to a slider on my tx and put the attitude gains on a second slider. I spooled up in attitude mode and I found that if the basic gains were too low, it would drift from level, raise it and it would level out. Previously I could never notice the effects of changing the basic gains. The effect of varying the attitude gains were similar, meaning if it was too low it would drift, but the attitude gains had a larger affect on how quickly the quad responded to stick inputs. So, this corresponds with TJ and TE's explanations, but being an engineer I'm not satisfied with qualitative observations. I need data.

So, I have the accelerometer on the way so I could probably knock this out this coming week as I'm on vac, but please let me know if anyone knows of a similar study already done, because its a bit of a project.
Awesome idea and work Cervanchez! Keep us posted
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:10 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,299 Posts
Oh, and I'm with TJ

Merry Christmas and thanks for everyones input and help this past year!!
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:22 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
Quote:
U2, You mentioned 155mm legs on your 550. Do you have pics of that? how much were each of the sets of legs (US)?? Thanks a lot !!
The 550 also has the gear from Quadframes.

I previously has some outboard "legs" that were about 6" tall (150mm) that I purchased from Got Heli for about $35 or so on my 450. That is what I just replaced. They were very rugged but I prefer the center mounted gear because I like to mount the batteries as shown. BTW, you can also mount a single battery or two batteries on the Quadframes on a plate they provide right under the bottom plate of the quad. I prefer the batteries on the legs as they are easier for me to swap.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:06 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Well I have been buying everyone else Christmas gifts so I decided to get myself one got me another Naza on the way WOOT!
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:46 AM
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
......the new gear is nice and very stable and the CG is nice and low. The GPS coordinants are 0,0,0. There are no legs in the way of the prop blast or the camera.
Hi U2,
nice build, but I think you will find your GPS Z co-ordinates should have a negative number as it's mounted some way above your COG. My first build was almost the same as yours with GoPro,extra batteries, video Tx / OSD and 'frame etc, but be aware that although the rig flies OK at that weight, it descended quite a long way (20 metres?) when entering switched failsafe so watch out!
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jetstuff; Dec 21, 2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:52 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
Hi U2,
nice build, but I think you will find your GPS Z co-ordinates should have a negative number as it's mounted some way above your COGYes, of course you are correct. It was negative before I added the new gear and lowered the batteries so it is going to be more negative now, In fact, I am still flying with my previous coordinants. I don't notice any change but thanks for pointing this out because in my confusion if I had reset them I would have gone in the wrong direction!!!

Yes, the machine is a bit overweight as it is about 1.75 kg now with cased go pro. It flies fine but I sure it would drop like a stone. My flight times have obviously dropped as the weight has piled on. But heck, these things arn't gliders no matter what they weigh! And it is "rock solid" stable.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
QAV500 - NAZA - Cancun

Hey there fellow NAZA friends. The wife and I just got back from Cancun last weekend and I edited up some footage.

All shot on location with NO GIMBAL, just static mounted two cameras on a stock QAV500 frame and FPVManual FM4008 motors.

Quad is a whopping 2100g AUW with both cameras and full FPV gear, but she still flies sweet and stable.

Cheers!

FPV - Royal Resorts - QAV500 (7 min 38 sec)
dslack67 is offline Find More Posts by dslack67
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslack67 View Post
Hey there fellow NAZA friends. The wife and I just got back from Cancun last weekend and I edited up some footage.

All shot on location with NO GIMBAL, just static mounted two cameras on a stock QAV500 frame and FPVManual FM4008 motors.

Quad is a whopping 2100g AUW with both cameras and full FPV gear, but she still flies sweet and stable.

Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlpIgtalarM
Beauty Dave. Looks like you had the whole place to yourself. Did you have any trouble travelling with your gear? I have the QAV500 also and am looking forward to flying it this summer. I hope they compted you for such a great video showing the resort.

BTW Dave, the video you made of the resort, I think, is just the tip of the iceberg. Tourism business is big and I think their is a huge market for multirotors to take part in it. If the resort linked your video, potential customers will get a way better image then just ground based still pics. I would definately think about this place the next time I plan a vacation.
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Last edited by Buffythesaint; Dec 21, 2012 at 01:34 PM.