SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:13 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
Quote:
The DJI esc's don't need to be calibrated, right? I soldered everything last night, I guess I should take it apart and redo it.
Perhaps you can tether it and fly it and you will see what motor/esc is involved with the flip.

I have used bungee cords to hold it down fairly firmly, but allow enough elasticity to what what happens when you try different controls or in your case when you try an extended hover. If you have a Go Pro you could film it and then go frame by frame to try to find the failure.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:21 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2010
248 Posts
I'm going to resolver everything. If it still does it I will get a vid with my gopro. Thanks for the help!
UDO999 is offline Find More Posts by UDO999
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:22 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDO999 View Post
The DJI esc's don't need to be calibrated, right? I soldered everything last night, I guess I should take it apart and redo it.
Calibration matches the ESC throttle end points to the TX so ALL ESC's need calibration.
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Jul 2010
248 Posts
Really? I've read that the DJI esc's don't need calibration.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:03 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Really? I've read that the DJI esc don't need calibration.
This is what I understand also!. I have lots of extra DJI ESCs and all that I have installed have been plug and play 100%
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:04 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,601 Posts
I bought several ESC's from RCDude (SimonK flashed) and had a similar issue. After taking them one by one and performing a Tx cal on them they worked fine and the problem was solved. Before that they all looked good through Assistant, but at least one of them was off.
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Jul 2010
248 Posts
After resoldering, same thing. Guess I need to get a video.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Jul 2010
248 Posts
My Project (1 min 17 sec)

Here's a YouTube link to what it does. Notice when I start pulsing the throttle it flips. Kinda hard to watch. Any ideas?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, CA, Glendora
Joined Oct 2012
653 Posts
Videos private
Mrtarango32 is offline Find More Posts by Mrtarango32
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Jul 2010
248 Posts
Sorry, it's not private anymore. Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:22 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
Quote:
Here's a YouTube link to what it does. Notice when I start pulsing the throttle it flips. Kinda hard to watch. Any ideas?
Have you checked your motor temps. I wonder if one is getting hot and seizing up?

I'd put it on some bungies and watch from up close; won't be as hard on it. I found a bad motor connection that way. Plus, once it starts doing it it may keep doing it if not interrupted by a crash. Just a thought.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:27 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
Quote:
I have found however I don't really need any if I really work on motor & prop balance.
+1. Actually my attempts at vibration isolation made it worse. I think the Go Pro can get an induced vibration of its own and the pad can amplify it. Of course my methods of isolation may have been at fault.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, it's not private anymore. Thanks!
OW!
It looks like the right front motor drops out. If you can afford the props, swap the ESC to the right rear and test again. If its the ESC you'll see it flip the other way then just replace it. (If you have some plastic sheeting, throw it over the snow and fly over this cause its softer!)

Also, I stand corrected, according to DJI there is no utility to calibrate these as they are matched at the factory to the Naza. This doesn't mean you don't have a bad one however...
Good luck!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Jul 2010
248 Posts
I have another esc, I'll give that a try first (with bungee cords).
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:37 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
+1. Actually my attempts at vibration isolation made it worse. I think the Go Pro can get an induced vibration of its own and the pad can amplify it. Of course my methods of isolation may have been at fault.
It can also be caused by the design of the frame as well. I got better at balancing because of the HT-FPV frame which has very flimsy, "vibration amplifying" arms and camera deck. Once I got the motors really well balanced (dynamically) and the props as well it smoothed out. I still had to stiffen the camera mount plate and glue the arm joints to get jello free video however. I have replaced it with a TBS Disco which has none of these problems (for me).
RCG Plus Member