HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:02 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Mike_Then's Avatar
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
My LED orientation for the F550:
Front: white constant
RH: green constant (2)
LH: red constant (2)
Rear: VU strobe (tells me when the craft is in "normal" orientation)
Bottom: white strobe (to hopefully spot at higher altitudes)
In this way I know orientation at some distance.
You get to where you know your flight mode by the way the craft behaves, so not seeing the VU's LED all the time gets easier...
Yup, I have white on the front arms and green on the back arms. I've flown it at night a few times at my house and the LEDs are very bright... didn't have any trouble with orientation. The VU LED is on the back (like yours) and that also assists with orientation. I'm going to put a small strip of blue or red on the bottom just to fill up the black rectangular void between the arms. The wish for an additional VU LED is mainly to see battery voltage. I use my timer on the transmitter of course but the LED is helpful. I've got my voltage limits set pretty high so when it starts blinking red I have time to get home and it's not a "holy crap you're out of battery!" kind of situation.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:39 AM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,446 Posts
Fiber Optics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Yup, I have white on the front arms and green on the back arms. I've flown it at night a few times at my house and the LEDs are very bright... didn't have any trouble with orientation. The VU LED is on the back (like yours) and that also assists with orientation. I'm going to put a small strip of blue or red on the bottom just to fill up the black rectangular void between the arms. The wish for an additional VU LED is mainly to see battery voltage. I use my timer on the transmitter of course but the LED is helpful. I've got my voltage limits set pretty high so when it starts blinking red I have time to get home and it's not a "holy crap you're out of battery!" kind of situation.
I've always wondered if you could rig up something with fiber optics.
But it was for planes.
I have a couple of planes where the receiver is buried, and you can't see the light to be sure of the tran/rec link.
I think the fiber has to be somewhat hooded around the light source.
You could fabricate a hood for the VU and run fiber optic cables all over your craft transmitting the light signal.
Anyone have a feel for this working?
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Faa
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:43 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I have been thinking a lot about this recently and wonder if it would be something as simple putting a lightly sanded piece of plexiglass tube (not hollow) on the LED light. It would light up the plexiglass and show pretty bight against the sanded sides.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:04 AM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,446 Posts
FO Experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
I have been thinking a lot about this recently and wonder if it would be something as simple putting a lightly sanded piece of plexiglass tube (not hollow) on the LED light. It would light up the plexiglass and show pretty bight against the sanded sides.
I think I'm going to pilfer some FO strands off some Christmas decorations and experiment...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Faa
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:27 PM
Relax, have a Cub
mewert's Avatar
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
953 Posts
What I did with mine

I have done some experimenting with lighting for orientation and like this setup pretty well. The tail boom is just a carbon Align 450 with the tail mount. I wrapped up 6" each of red and blue led's inside the ball. My front strobe headlight is from the bicycle shop and just velcro's on. Not much added weight and I only carry my Ego camera so far. To compensate for the weight of the boom out back, I velcro my lipo just ahead of center a bit. All works great for a heli guys eyes.
Oh, and I have been running my lights straight off the 4s power with no burnouts after 4 months of regular flying. If I need to, they are cheap to replace. I got them from Hobby Partz.
mewert is online now Find More Posts by mewert
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:31 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Well I have decided to put my NAZA F450 away on the lost shelf in the closet. I am buying a FPV plane and trying that out for awhile. The NAZA was fun while it lasted, and who knows I may pull it out again in a year or so and see if it still works. Thanks everyone for all the fun times and useful info. SEE YA!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:50 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Mike_Then's Avatar
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewert View Post
I have done some experimenting with lighting for orientation and like this setup pretty well. The tail boom is just a carbon Align 450 with the tail mount. I wrapped up 6" each of red and blue led's inside the ball. My front strobe headlight is from the bicycle shop and just velcro's on. Not much added weight and I only carry my Ego camera so far. To compensate for the weight of the boom out back, I velcro my lipo just ahead of center a bit. All works great for a heli guys eyes.
Oh, and I have been running my lights straight off the 4s power with no burnouts after 4 months of regular flying. If I need to, they are cheap to replace. I got them from Hobby Partz.
Love the setup! That's very cool. Glad to see someone else using heli skids for landing gear. I bolted on a set of T-Rex 500e skids and it works perfectly. I'm going to raise them with standoffs - much like what you have on yours - so I have ground clearance for a longer antenna as well as the GoPro. I've been brainstorming on how to mount the GoPro and where to put it. Not sure what I'm going to do quite yet but I'm sure inspiration will strike once I get to the shop.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,446 Posts
What's Up With You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Well I have decided to put my NAZA F450 away on the lost shelf in the closet. I am buying a FPV plane and trying that out for awhile. The NAZA was fun while it lasted, and who knows I may pull it out again in a year or so and see if it still works. Thanks everyone for all the fun times and useful info. SEE YA!
Man, we feel jilted!
You just gonna cash in your chips and quit playing?
I thought you were just getting into that Frsky stuff and LEDs?
You don't want to FPV in a plane.
It's too fast to let you enjoy the scenery...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Faa
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:07 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Well I have decided to put my NAZA F450 away on the lost shelf in the closet. I am buying a FPV plane and trying that out for awhile. The NAZA was fun while it lasted, and who knows I may pull it out again in a year or so and see if it still works. Thanks everyone for all the fun times and useful info. SEE YA!
Say what? Say huh? Did you go through your entire box of motors?!
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
Relax, have a Cub
mewert's Avatar
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Love the setup! That's very cool. Glad to see someone else using heli skids for landing gear. I bolted on a set of T-Rex 500e skids and it works perfectly. I'm going to raise them with standoffs - much like what you have on yours - so I have ground clearance for a longer antenna as well as the GoPro. I've been brainstorming on how to mount the GoPro and where to put it. Not sure what I'm going to do quite yet but I'm sure inspiration will strike once I get to the shop.
Mike, Thanks. One thing about my camera mount position. I still get just the front tips of the skids in the picture when aiming it forward and down slightly. My gear is from Align 600-700 and might be a bit larger than your 500 gear, giving a bit more clearence. Something to consider.
mewert is online now Find More Posts by mewert
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:38 PM
Registered User
Bill Glover's Avatar
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,420 Posts
I use heli skids on my two quads





The bigger one had a ball-on-rod orientation aid too, when I used it for AP

Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:46 PM
Registered User
Bill Glover's Avatar
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,420 Posts
Incidentally most of the landing gear I see on multis is VERY heavy IMO. I used a Mikrokopter set on my quad above ... very light and plenty strong enough. On my F550 I use this gear - again very light indeed (and cheap): http://flyduino.net/Landing-gear-High



Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:37 PM
Registered User
u2builder's Avatar
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
You don't want to FPV in a plane.
It's too fast to let you enjoy the scenery...
No kidding. I tried FPV a couple of years ago with a plane and got nowhere. My DJI stuff is made for learning FPV. I take off, get it into a hover, and then put on my goggles, get myself set, and head out. I started off real slow at a couple mph, now I can cruise right along. When I get back to home base I just let it hover, take off the goggles and find it, and bring it in for a landing. The abilitity to take off and land visually is a great help getting started. Plus I can do this right from home. I am going to set up a plane for next year at the flying field, because I can, but in the meantime I am hoping to fly on any decent winter day.

Don't forget, the DJI stuff has built in return to home. With a plane, in addition to everything else, you probably need to set up a RTH system with autopilot.

Honestly I think the DJI on FPV goggles is about the closest thing to a flying dream you could have, just drifting slowly and lowly over the landscape, stopping to levitate whenever you get the urge.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:56 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
flohio117's Avatar
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,432 Posts
Hey guys I have a question. When I am just hovering with my Y6 that has a Naza on it. If I yaw any direction one of my arms will lift up and make it spin at a wierd angle which causes it to drift alot. Why doesn't it just spin flat like my quad does or is this a characteristic of a Y6? Also are my yaw gain just to high or low?
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:50 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Mike_Then's Avatar
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,457 Posts
I like the heli skids idea because it mounts to the frame... in the event of a hard landing, the skids take the brunt of the impact and the frame is strong. I don't like the extended landing gear that attaches to the arms as that just puts more stress on the mounting points. I know the arms are designed to be break-away but I prefer it mounted to the frame itself.

I started FPV with airplanes and while it doesn't allow you to slow down and smell the roses, using a high-lift, slow airplane like the EasyStar is a good choice. It flies slow enough to catch what's going on around you. But now that I've flown FPV with the F450, I can see why everyone likes it so much.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product DJI WooKong-M Autopilot System for multirotors **Owners Thread** DJI INNOVATIONS Multirotor Electronics 19929 Yesterday 12:04 AM
New Product MultiWiiCopter "MiniWii" FC - Cheap, small 6DOF FC JussiH Multirotor Talk 707 Jan 01, 2013 08:54 AM
Discussion DJI Innovation helicopter autopilot XP.3.1 for European customers JoelT Aerial Photography 2 Sep 24, 2009 11:43 AM
New Product United Hobbies FC 28-05 & FC 28-22 brushless outrunners $5.95 ea. JawaSnack Hot Online Deals 9 Jul 17, 2007 10:31 AM
Futaba FC-18 teacher to FC-16 pupil problem . jmquetin Radios 5 Nov 02, 2004 06:48 AM