HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:08 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,720 Posts
Here's a question for the thread regulars that will hopefully bring the thread somewhat back on topic. I am using all stock electronics that came with the F450 (motors, ESCs) with the Naza/GPS. I am using the DJI 10" props as I'm using a 3s 2600 mAh battery. I added an FPV camera and transmitter, along with lights, to my F450. I can get about 7 minutes flight time with the 2600 mAh battery as long as I'm not racing around and going crazy. This leaves a little overhead left in the pack in case I have to failsafe/RTH, wait for the runway to clear, etc. That's the background so on to the question.

I am about to add a GoPro2 to the F450. With the weight of the GoPro2, can I still fly my F450 as configured on 3s or is it time to go to 4s? I have some 3s 4000 mAh batteries that I can use but I'm wondering if that's going to be counter-productive. Just wondering what others are flying with this setup. Thanks!
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:14 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Here's a question for the thread regulars that will hopefully bring the thread somewhat back on topic. I am using all stock electronics that came with the F450 (motors, ESCs) with the Naza/GPS. I am using the DJI 10" props as I'm using a 3s 2600 mAh battery. I added an FPV camera and transmitter, along with lights, to my F450. I can get about 7 minutes flight time with the 2600 mAh battery as long as I'm not racing around and going crazy. This leaves a little overhead left in the pack in case I have to failsafe/RTH, wait for the runway to clear, etc. That's the background so on to the question.

I am about to add a GoPro2 to the F450. With the weight of the GoPro2, can I still fly my F450 as configured on 3s or is it time to go to 4s? I have some 3s 4000 mAh batteries that I can use but I'm wondering if that's going to be counter-productive. Just wondering what others are flying with this setup. Thanks!
You can still run 3S but its just not going to perform as well as 4S. I haven't noticed that much of a difference between 3300, 3600, and 4000 mah batteries as far as flight times, but I don't really pay that close attention.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:15 AM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,346 Posts
Quote:

I have a F450 with the stock DJI electronics just like you and fly on 3s with all my FPV stuff. I'm using APC 10X4.7 slow fly props, GoPro(no case), large 800 mw Vtx from RMRC, and a 3s 5200 mah battery. This setup flys without issue for well more than 10 minutes.

During a RC plane rescue my F450 lifted 150' of rope up and over a very tall tree without even trying. I didn't have the GoPro or Vtx on at the time but I'm sure it is less than the weight of all that rope.

Quad copter takes part in saving RC plane stuck high up in a tree. (9 min 22 sec)

I found that flying with two 3s 5200 packs and my GoPro results in the same flight time with one 5200. The extra weight of the additional battery results in a higher throttle setting to maintain a hover.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
I have a F450 with the stock DJI electronics just like you and fly on 3s with all my FPV stuff. I'm using APC 10X4.7 slow fly props, GoPro(no case), large 800 mw Vtx from RMRC, and a 3s 5200 mah battery. This setup flys without issue for well more than 10 minutes.

During a RC plane rescue my F450 lifted 150' of rope up and over a very tall tree without even trying. I didn't have the GoPro or Vtx on at the time but I'm sure it is less than the weight of all that rope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDVbZ32i0KA

I found that flying with two 3s 5200 packs and my GoPro results in the same flight time with one 5200. The extra weight of the additional battery results in a higher throttle setting to maintain a hover.

Smart guy
Marktuwin is offline Find More Posts by Marktuwin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:26 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
You can still run 3S but its just not going to perform as well as 4S. I haven't noticed that much of a difference between 3300, 3600, and 4000 mah batteries as far as flight times, but I don't really pay that close attention.
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDVbZ32i0KA

Thanks for the replies guys. I worry about the extra weight because I had a heck of a time with the quad when I outfitted it with a skull head, robe, etc., for Halloween. That probably wasn't the most aerodynamically-efficient design out there but at least it flew for 3-4 minutes. I didn't weigh everything (should have, but didn't) and I bet it was heavier than expected. I'll try it once I get the GoPro mounted with both the 3s 2600 pack and the 3s 4000 mAh pack and see how I make out. I know that electric aircraft can get to a point to where the added weight of a larger battery negates the benefits of the extra capacity and I didn't know if a GoPro + FPV camera + FPV transmitter + larger battery hit that limit or not.

What is the criteria for switching to 4s? A lot more weight than we're talking about? Or is it simply preference/performance?

Nice video btw! A buddy's FPV airplane got stuck in a tree yesterday and I considered doing something like this but it was a densely-wooded area and I didn't want to risk it. He cut down the tree and was able to get the plane with minimal damage to the plane so it was a win-win.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:57 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
Hi Mike, I run 2 2200 mah 3S on my quad, probably pretty similar to your 4000 mah. I have Go Pro and FPV gear. Before I added the FPV gear I figured I could get around 10 to 12 minutes taking the batteries down to 20% depending on the type of flying. Haven't really checked again since I added the FPV gear but it doesn't weigh a great deal.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:31 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,346 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I worry about the extra weight because I had a heck of a time with the quad when I outfitted it with a skull head, robe, etc., for Halloween. That probably wasn't the most aerodynamically-efficient design out there but at least it flew for 3-4 minutes. I didn't weigh everything (should have, but didn't) and I bet it was heavier than expected. I'll try it once I get the GoPro mounted with both the 3s 2600 pack and the 3s 4000 mAh pack and see how I make out. I know that electric aircraft can get to a point to where the added weight of a larger battery negates the benefits of the extra capacity and I didn't know if a GoPro + FPV camera + FPV transmitter + larger battery hit that limit or not.

What is the criteria for switching to 4s? A lot more weight than we're talking about? Or is it simply preference/performance?

Nice video btw! A buddy's FPV airplane got stuck in a tree yesterday and I considered doing something like this but it was a densely-wooded area and I didn't want to risk it. He cut down the tree and was able to get the plane with minimal damage to the plane so it was a win-win.
Higher voltage setups are generally more efficient. Remember that going to 4s will require smaller diameter props to keep the amp draw down.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:05 PM
Spain, Valencia, V
Joined Nov 2007
242 Posts
Here you have my last video with Spidex from Quaternium. Itīs just a little piece of a 2012 compilation. I hope you enjoy like me when I flew it.

Spidex V2 low pass (1 min 46 sec)
moriwaky is online now Find More Posts by moriwaky
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:17 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,601 Posts
Loved it - great, high quality video!!

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:28 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:

my experience with my naza on 3s vs 4s was yaw response in fff. I have an asymmetric frame and it would tail wag when doing banked turns. I was always messing with gains and props. With 4s all that went away. If you're just cruising around fairly level, then you might not notice.

I'd say try it and see if it behaves, but I can pretty much guarantee that you will love 4S. I highly recommend making the change.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Last edited by Cervanchez; Nov 26, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:57 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,644 Posts
I have switched all my DJI Quads to 4S from the F330 to the F450 and the Discovery. I really like the results.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:40 AM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Jun 2011
256 Posts
GPS, hot battery change

I have been flying Nazza + GPS for a few weeks now on a 550 X quad set up. (3S, 1000Kv, 1047's) I really like it and its truly inspiring in Atti Mode. Its changed the way I fly because I dont have the constant fear of crashing anymore. I want to get to know the Nazza and then transfer it to an Ecilop / NEX5 AP setup I am building.

I still have some work to get the GPS functioning reliably and IOC does not seem to be working at all even when I have good GPS (IE green flash = 6 plus ) I plan to raise the GPS in case noise is interfering with it. I also plan to review the failsafe settings etc because they are not right either.

So my question, after the GPS has locked to all available satellites - does it keep the settings during a battery change - it seems to.
helidex is offline Find More Posts by helidex
Last edited by helidex; Nov 27, 2012 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Spalleeng
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:03 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,836 Posts
Always 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I have switched all my DJI Quads to 4S from the F330 to the F450 and the Discovery. I really like the results.
I've never flown anything but 4S.
My F450 started out heavy and I decided then that 4S was probably best.
Learning some about running 3S rated motors on 4S (Thanks, Mauro, wherever you are...)
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:56 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Hi Mike, I run 2 2200 mah 3S on my quad, probably pretty similar to your 4000 mah. I have Go Pro and FPV gear. Before I added the FPV gear I figured I could get around 10 to 12 minutes taking the batteries down to 20% depending on the type of flying. Haven't really checked again since I added the FPV gear but it doesn't weigh a great deal.
Quote:
Higher voltage setups are generally more efficient. Remember that going to 4s will require smaller diameter props to keep the amp draw down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
my experience with my naza on 3s vs 4s was yaw response in fff. I have an asymmetric frame and it would tail wag when doing banked turns. I was always messing with gains and props. With 4s all that went away. If you're just cruising around fairly level, then you might not notice.

I'd say try it and see if it behaves, but I can pretty much guarantee that you will love 4S. I highly recommend making the change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I've never flown anything but 4S.
My F450 started out heavy and I decided then that 4S was probably best.
Learning some about running 3S rated motors on 4S (Thanks, Mauro, wherever you are...)
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! I got the GoPro2 last night from my flying buddy. I didn't realize how small it was. I plan to mount it up front underneath the FPV camera and then shift the battery back for balance. I was using a 3s 2200 mAh pack but I think that's gonna be too small now. Plus, it is over 3 years old and while it still puts out good power, I'll save it for my other 3s planes. I'll try the 3s 2600 mAh pack first and if that doesn't work I'll go to the 3s 4000 mAh pack.

Finally, if all that doens't work I'll bite the bullet and try the 4s setup. From what I've read, the 3300 mAh size seems to be popular? It's nice that the motors/ESCs are all 4s capable and all I have to do is throw on the 8" props and I'm good to go.

If I went to 4s I'll probably have to do something about the lights. The lights are 12V and I'm assuming 16.8V which is a fully-charged 4s pack is too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helidex View Post
I have been flying Nazza + GPS for a few weeks now on a 550 X quad set up. (3S, 1000Kv, 1047's) I really like it and its truly inspiring in Atti Mode. Its changed the way I fly because I dont have the constant fear of crashing anymore. I want to get to know the Nazza and then transfer it to an Ecilop / NEX5 AP setup I am building.

I still have some work to get the GPS functioning reliably and IOC does not seem to be working at all even when I have good GPS (IE green flash = 6 plus ) I plan to raise the GPS in case noise is interfering with it. I also plan to review the failsafe settings etc because they are not right either.

So my question, after the GPS has locked to all available satellites - does it keep the settings during a battery change - it seems to.
If you are flying in the same area and swap batteries the GPS lock will be much quicker. It always seems the first power-up of the day's flying session is the longest.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:59 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I've seen some people run LEDs on 4S. It depends on the LED and how long you want them to last. High voltage will probably burn them out faster. TJ seems to be a good resource for LEDs and might have a blog about it so check there. Even if he doesn't you are guaranteed to learn something in his blogs... I do everytime I check them out.

EDIT** BTW I'm back! I had a upper respiratory infection turn into pneumonia. Good times...
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites