Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:09 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
It is the 8hz whine that DJI esc's emit. Nothing unusual.
Thanks, Ed. Now I won't worry about it! Hope you had a great holiday!
Gary (like you say, what's a "K" among fellow flyers ;-)
Old guy1 is offline Find More Posts by Old guy1
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:42 AM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
Gold, the lipo you show in your video is NOT a 4 cell but a 3 cell. The 4.0 is the amp rating, look closely again and you will see what I mean.

Gary
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:11 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Morris View Post
Gold, the lipo you show in your video is NOT a 4 cell but a 3 cell. The 4.0 is the amp rating, look closely again and you will see what I mean.

Gary
Thanks Gary! I do like good advice from the well informed!. I guess I could be wrong about the battery being a 4 cell. Lets do a little test just to make sure.
VID00380 (0 min 34 sec)
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:

Gary
The 4.0 is definitely the amp rating, but that checker sure showed it as a 4 cell. Show a close up picture of the balance plug and the answer will be there.
Gary
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:55 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
DJI have never suggested that ... I've always hooked mine up direct, as per the manual.
I never said that DJI recommended it. I said it was recommended to use a separate BEC to power the gimbal servos. I drive my gimbal servos at 6v. I cannot get that out of the Naza or the WKM.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:59 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,549 Posts
I know some other FCs / gimbal controllers do specify you must use an external BEC to power servos. My point was simply that DJI don't, and many people (me included) hook them up directly to the Naza as per the manual.

Obviously if you want to run the servos on 6V you have no choice but to use external power.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old guy1 View Post
The 4.0 is definitely the amp rating, but that checker sure showed it as a 4 cell. Show a close up picture of the balance plug and the answer will be there.
Gary
Ok here is a close up of the disputed lipo what say you all is it 3 cell or is it 4 cell-
VID00381 (0 min 29 sec)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Ok here is a close up of the disputed lipo what say you all is it 3 cell or is it 4 cell- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxktQ...ature=youtu.be
It's a 4 cell, 5 wires on the balance plug Just subtract 1 wire (for the ground) and that is the number of cells
Gary
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:22 AM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
I have an ET on my hex and a Skylark Tiny on my quad. I like them both; ET has lots of features(most I don't use) , great instructions, is very customizeable but expensive and probably weighs several ounces, while Skylark is very inexpensive and has a clear and easy to read screen, very small and lightweight, but has terrible software that is basically unworkable and limited instructions.

I have more or less the same info on both screens: amps, volts, mah, GPS sats, lat/long, dist, home arrow, speed and baro altimeter. I uses the speed and baro altimeter all the time. I use the mah to know when to come home. The distance is fun to know at the end of the flight. I don't use the speed and altitude ladders at all . I don't mind them and on the ET that is where I prefer to see the altitude and speed. If I ever get a recorder set up properly then the lat/lon will be perhaps helpful if I lost a plane and needed to locate it. The Skylark has an option for a simple screen (if one could get the software to work; I have given up but am happy with the speed and altitude ladder clutter).

Altitude, speed and mah are the main things I need to see.
I'm with you on this, but have issues with my Trace III (or is it Trace IV - every time I see a picture of one of their products they have a different name or configuration). I sent it back to China (at my cost, of course) and it came back not as bad as when I sent it, but....

Here's a link to the last time I flew with the Skylark and my comments if you go to YouTube...I'm sticking with my ET setup from now on.

Final Skylark test (3 min 21 sec)

-bob

PS Also a vid taken yesterday to test the camera mount (I plug directly into the NAZA controller) that's nothing special but was fun.

NAZA 550 Black Friday video test flight (4 min 50 sec)
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Last edited by bobthenuke; Nov 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:01 PM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
It's even simpler than that just read the label, the Lipo pack in your first video is marked 3s which you can plainly read. As stated the 4.0 is just the amp hour rating.
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:04 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,002 Posts
Bob: my Skylark Tiny works great, and is pretty accurate re: height. I did notice your "onfly", the point at which your OSD thinks it is moving, didn't occur until you were up above 70ft, so maybe that is where it "initialized". I do know it takes me awhile to plug everything in, so maybe try and give it a minute before you take off? My "onfly" flashes right when I take off.
glmccready is online now Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
It's even simpler than that just read the label, the Lipo pack in your first video is marked 3s which you can plainly read. As stated the 4.0 is just the amp hour rating.
Here is the first video please tell me where it says 3 cell? thanks! Lets count the balance plug wires in this video.
VID00372 (0 min 25 sec)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:18 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
Bob: my Skylark Tiny works great, and is pretty accurate re: height. I did notice your "onfly", the point at which your OSD thinks it is moving, didn't occur until you were up above 70ft, so maybe that is where it "initialized". I do know it takes me awhile to plug everything in, so maybe try and give it a minute before you take off? My "onfly" flashes right when I take off.
I've tried all of that, Gary. I notice that you have a different model, and maybe the "Trace" software is what's causing my problems. In any case, and as I indicated in my response in YouTube, is that mine is simply a POS and the manufacturer has done nothing but have me throw good money after bad. My Made in USA Eagle Tree works perfectly and even comes with detailed manuals for each module. The Skylark manual appears to have been written by 1st grade Chinese children who are just being taught English.

-bob (sorry for the rant, but I hate getting ripped off)
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthenuke View Post
I've tried all of that, Gary. I notice that you have a different model, and maybe the "Trace" software is what's causing my problems. In any case, and as I indicated in my response in YouTube, is that mine is simply a POS and the manufacturer has done nothing but have me throw good money after bad. My Made in USA Eagle Tree works perfectly and even comes with detailed manuals for each module. The Skylark manual appears to have been written by 1st grade Chinese children who are just being taught English.

-bob (sorry for the rant, but I hate getting ripped off)
Have you guys tried the Imersion EZOSD? the price is cheap and it works well