Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:28 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Still off topic, but relevant...
Will a laptop battery "burn" like one of our high discharge packs?
I don't think I recall hearing of that type lipo fire...
I remember the laptop fires from a few years ago. They still have the fire risk but laptop batteries are not as "fragile" (for lack of a better word) than our LiPos. It's a more stable chemistry and can tolerate being operated outside its operating parameters, unlike our LiPos which are NOT happy about being overcharged and overdischarged. I also think our LiPos are a lot more energy-dense than a laptop battery, most likely due to the different chemistry (Li-Ion vs. LiCoO2).
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:36 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,446 Posts
Lithium Anything = Caution

I think I'm going to start being more careful with laptops.
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Faa
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:48 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
I think I'm going to start being more careful with laptops.
Take the cell phone out of your pocket... awful close to sensitive bits.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:09 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,446 Posts
I use a holster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Take the cell phone out of your pocket... awful close to sensitive bits.
Darned iPhone is so big, I can't sit down when it's in my pocket!
If it catches fire, I'll do a quick-draw...
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Faa
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:52 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
I had thought the difference between Lipos and Laptop batteries was discharge rates. But a quick wiki search found this:

Safety requirements

If overheated or overcharged, Li-ion batteries may suffer thermal runaway and cell rupture.[56] In extreme cases this can lead to combustion. Deep discharge may short-circuit the cell, in which case recharging would be unsafe.[57] To reduce these risks, Lithium-ion battery packs contain fail-safe circuitry that shuts down the battery when its voltage is outside the safe range of 3–4.2 V per cell.[35][45] When stored for long periods the small current draw of the protection circuitry itself may drain the battery below its shut down voltage; normal chargers are then ineffective. Many types of lithium-ion cell cannot be charged safely below 0°C.[58]

Other safety features are required in each cell:[35]
Shut-down separator (for overtemperature)
Tear-away tab (for internal pressure)
Vent (pressure relief)
Thermal interrupt (overcurrent/overcharging)

These devices occupy useful space inside the cells, add additional points of failure and irreversibly disable the cell when activated. They are required because the anode produces heat during use, while the cathode may produce oxygen. These devices and improved electrode designs reduce/eliminate the risk of fire or explosion.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:54 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Funny how things work out; my project for the day was to make a new Lipo charging station since these DJI copters have me back into electric big time. So it was good reading all this. I have my best charging set up ever located on a metal shelf.
u2builder is online now Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:19 PM
Having fun again!!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Funny how things work out; my project for the day was to make a new Lipo charging station since these DJI copters have me back into electric big time. So it was good reading all this. I have my best charging set up ever located on a metal shelf.
Just don't ever hit start on the charger and forget to plug in the pack, I did that once on my titanium topped workbench. Poof went the charger..

I guess the charger read the pack through the balance port and tried to supply 5amps to my table..
MTHead4u is offline Find More Posts by MTHead4u
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: er9x and Naza Setup
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:13 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,432 Posts
anybody have a god starter settings for my y6? the fc is in the exact middle and everything is balanced. im just wondering where some of your guys gains are around?
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
Thanks everyone. Yes, I did review Delta Airlines website and the FAA.Gov site and will be securing the leads with caps and each will be in it's own Lipo bag. I'll be taking them with me in my carry on and placing them separately through the screening bin, along with a copy of the "regulations".

Should be all good to go!!

Cheers guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc10kevin View Post
It doesn't. Max cabin pressure is always below 10K. I've flown several times with Lipos on commercial aircraft. Tape up the leads, put them in a plastic bag and ALWAYS carry them on. Don;t try to hide them in your carry ons. Show them ahead of time and let the TSA folks know what they are and the FAA approves them for flight in the cabin as long as the leads cannot touch each other.

From FAA.gov:

Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium).
Passengers may carry consumer-sized lithium ion batteries [no more than 8 grams of equivalent
lithium content or 100 watt hours (wh) per battery]. This size covers AA, AAA, 9-volt, cell
phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, Gameboy, and standard laptop computer batteries.

Passengers can also bring two (2) larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25
grams of equivalent lithium content per battery) in their carry-on. This size covers larger
extended-life laptop batteries. Most consumer lithium ion batteries are below this size.

What does “protected from short circuit” mean?
A. Protected from short circuit means that a battery’s terminals are protected from being touched
by metal. When metal such as keys, coins, or other batteries come in contact with both
terminals of a battery, it can create a “circuit” or path for electricity to flow through. This can
cause extreme heat and sparks and even start a fire. To prevent short circuits, keep spare
batteries in their original packaging, a battery case, or separate pouch or pocket. Make sure
loose batteries can’t move around. Placing tape over the terminals of unpackaged batteries also
helps to insulate them from short circuit.
dslack67 is offline Find More Posts by dslack67
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:48 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Hi guys,

I found a new flying site and had a blast over the weekend. Other than one minor crash (when i lost video for some reason) it was a good day, I went through like 8 or 9 packs.

New Park Adventures (3 min 30 sec)
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:06 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzer View Post
also removing the stickers on your motors helps allot.

just remeber to mark on them with a marker pen or engraver what the motor specs are!
But I like the cool stickers!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:03 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,446 Posts
DJI Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
But I like the cool stickers!
The DJI motor sticker wraps almost completely around the motor can.
They probably did that to prevent the sticker from causing imbalance.
I leave mine on...

I'm going from memory here. I'm not at home where I can check. Since I could be wrong (I've got dozens of out-runner motors), let me check when I get home tonight. I'll confirm or retract my statement...
Sorry...
I have checked, and I was wrong. My DJI motor labels go around just 45% to 50% of the can diameter. Not sure which motor I was thinking of, but the labels are still on the DJIs and the balance is acceptable. FWIW the new DJI motors have a laser etched label...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 20, 2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Corrected error.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:07 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
The DJI motor sticker wraps almost completely around the motor can.
They probably did that to prevent the sticker from causing imbalance.
I leave mine on...
My stickers didn't even go around half of the can if I remember correctly.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:40 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
HEY T J! check your messages! I think I may have had a break through!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:01 PM
Near Disneyland in Placentia, Southern California, USA
Joined Aug 2004
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I like to hover around the nudest colony that is 3 blocks from my home! They should have planted more trees over there.
Without corroborating HD video, it didn't happen

Regards
Bernd

Witespy-DJI NAZA F450 Flamewheel
2212/920kv DJI motors and Opto 30A ESC's
10x5 Graupner Props / GoPro HD2
AUW 3S-2200mah = 1100g / 3S-4000mah = 1305g
Spektrum TX DX-7 (original) / Spektrum RX AR6200
BerndM is offline Find More Posts by BerndM