HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:25 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
I have to assume you will be balancing ONE motor at a time, PROP REMOVED, right?
If so, place your flyer on a HARD surface, get a clear glass, and 3/4 fill it with water. Set the glass on top of the arm with the motor being tested. Run the motor and observe the vibrations on the water surface. Make changes to the motor balance as needed and rerun the test and mentally compare the vibrations.
Primitive and crude but fairly functional.
Yes, this seems like a good idea and very simple. I'll give this a try on the next cold miserable day, and there will soon be a lot of them.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:22 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslack67 View Post
Hey Bernd! Been a while, hope your doing well and having fun. That's a very good way to test, never thought of that.

I used the vibration software on my iPhone, which worked very well also. Just sit the iPhone on the arm your testing, similar to what you explain here. The only difference is the software records the "Peak" and "Average", making comparisons easier.

Hey, I just put together this travel case for a trip I'm taking to Cancun in a few weeks with the wife. Should get some good video!

Cheers.

http://youtu.be/AT3Aw0DTrlM
I guess you must be going to Cancun buy boat huh? If no do yourself a favor and pre ship those lipos to where you are headed. I have the strangst feeling if you are flying TSA might give ya some trouble
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:28 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I guess you must be going to Cancun buy boat huh? If no do yourself a favor and pre ship those lipos to where you are headed. I have the strangst feeling if you are flying TSA might give ya some trouble
A friend of mine travels with his octo internationally and brings a lot of lipos, his suggestion was to strap the leads to the body of the battery and put them in ziplock bags on your carry on. You are not allowed to check them with your luggage but carry on is apparently ok. He's made the trip from Canada/Taiwan several times this way.
apvxtreme is offline Find More Posts by apvxtreme
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvxtreme View Post
A friend of mine travels with his octo internationally and brings a lot of lipos, his suggestion was to strap the leads to the body of the battery and put them in ziplock bags on your carry on. You are not allowed to check them with your luggage but carry on is apparently ok. He's made the trip from Canada/Taiwan several times this way.
So, the airlines now think a exploding lipo is safer in the pasenger compartment then the cargo. Thats something to think about!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:03 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
So, the airlines now think a exploding lipo is safer in the pasenger compartment then the cargo. Thats something to think about!
Cabin is pressurized, the cargo hold isn't always pressurized. Ever had shampoo explode in your suitcase?
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:46 AM
Lt Col, USAF
United States, IL, Swansea
Joined Jan 2010
274 Posts
MCrites....sorry. Not true. Cargo compartment is always pressurized. Take it from a pilot with over 3500 hours in heavies.

Exploding shampoo is either due to the baggage handlers crushing the bag or the cabin pressure increasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Cabin is pressurized, the cargo hold isn't always pressurized. Ever had shampoo explode in your suitcase?
kc10kevin is offline Find More Posts by kc10kevin
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:48 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I dont think cabin presure would afect a solid brick like a lipo
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:51 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I knew it was those baggage handlers! They are the same ones who unfold my manties.

Thanks for the info!
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:51 AM
Lt Col, USAF
United States, IL, Swansea
Joined Jan 2010
274 Posts
Quote:
I dont think cabin presure would afect a solid brick like a lipo
It doesn't. Max cabin pressure is always below 10K. I've flown several times with Lipos on commercial aircraft. Tape up the leads, put them in a plastic bag and ALWAYS carry them on. Don;t try to hide them in your carry ons. Show them ahead of time and let the TSA folks know what they are and the FAA approves them for flight in the cabin as long as the leads cannot touch each other.

From FAA.gov:

Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium).
Passengers may carry consumer-sized lithium ion batteries [no more than 8 grams of equivalent
lithium content or 100 watt hours (wh) per battery]. This size covers AA, AAA, 9-volt, cell
phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, Gameboy, and standard laptop computer batteries.

Passengers can also bring two (2) larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25
grams of equivalent lithium content per battery) in their carry-on. This size covers larger
extended-life laptop batteries. Most consumer lithium ion batteries are below this size.

What does “protected from short circuit” mean?
A. Protected from short circuit means that a battery’s terminals are protected from being touched
by metal. When metal such as keys, coins, or other batteries come in contact with both
terminals of a battery, it can create a “circuit” or path for electricity to flow through. This can
cause extreme heat and sparks and even start a fire. To prevent short circuits, keep spare
batteries in their original packaging, a battery case, or separate pouch or pocket. Make sure
loose batteries can’t move around. Placing tape over the terminals of unpackaged batteries also
helps to insulate them from short circuit.
kc10kevin is offline Find More Posts by kc10kevin
Last edited by kc10kevin; Nov 19, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:21 AM
Near Disneyland in Placentia, Southern California, USA
Joined Aug 2004
500 Posts
Quote:
This may be more logical that it first seems. Sort of like the falling tree in the forest scenario. IF an unfortunate LiPo decided to end it's life in the passenger cabin, at least there would be many who'd see it and do something about it.
In the baggage compartment? Not so much. By the time it was discovered, the plane would be in deep kaka.

Regards
Bernd

Witespy-DJI NAZA F450 Flamewheel
2212/920kv DJI motors and Opto 30A ESC's
10x5 Graupner Props / GoPro HD2
AUW 3S-2200mah = 1100g / 3S-4000mah = 1305g
Spektrum TX DX-7 (original) / Spektrum RX AR6200
BerndM is offline Find More Posts by BerndM
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:44 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,700 Posts
And A Boyscout Would Do What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
This may be more logical that it first seems. Sort of like the falling tree in the forest scenario. IF an unfortunate LiPo decided to end it's life in the passenger cabin, at least there would be many who'd see it and do something about it.
In the baggage compartment? Not so much. By the time it was discovered, the plane would be in deep kaka.

Regards
Bernd

Witespy-DJI NAZA F450 Flamewheel
2212/920kv DJI motors and Opto 30A ESC's
10x5 Graupner Props / GoPro HD2
AUW 3S-2200mah = 1100g / 3S-4000mah = 1305g
Spektrum TX DX-7 (original) / Spektrum RX AR6200
You guys know me.
I'm always trying to have a plan in order to "be prepared" for a worst case scenario.
If a lipo were to light up in a passenger compartment of a commercial airliner, what would you do?
The one's I've seen usually start smoking, puffing first so you have a few seconds to react.
Would you...
Flush it down the toilet in the lavatory?
Put it in the lavatory to burn itself out?
Throw it into a beverage cart and shut the door?
Smother it with blankets?
Suggestions?
Colonel, I'd be interested in your take on this...

Personally, I think the enclosing in a lavatory or a beverage cart would be my choices. Perhaps get the flight attendant to deploy the oxygen masks in case of smoke...

Speaking of smoke. There's a lot. If I had one start the ignition sequence at home, I think I'd try to get it outside. I keep a pair of welder's gloves where I charge in case I need to handle a "hot" lipo.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:25 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Planes should carry surplus Ammo Boxes with one of those welders gloves taped to it. Throw in lipo and close lid.

Make a test rig with pressure gauge/relief valve to make sure pressure build up is not a problem. Add small vent if it is.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:33 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,700 Posts
Lipo Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Planes should carry surplus Ammo Boxes with one of those welders gloves taped to it. Throw in lipo and close lid.

Make a test rig with pressure gauge/relief valve to make sure pressure build up is not a problem. Add small vent if it is.
I store my lipos in metal ammo boxes.
GW and I have theorized about pressure build-up if one were to ignite inside the storage can, but I think the likelihood of that occurring is slim.
Will a lipo burn in the absence of oxygen?
Note to self: research that...
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:35 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,700 Posts
Here's a Link...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=229
This pretty well answers it...
I'm sticking with ammo boxes.
They are not completely sealed (I actually thought they were), so they will vent, and they will contain the chemical fire and also deprive the "smoke gas" fire of oxygen.
That is if I understand the post above.
I wonder if the unburned "smoke gas" is colorless?
It's bound to be poison to breathe...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I keep my lipo box stored in the brick lined fireplace with the flu open wide. I figure this way the lipos will be kept in a cool dry place and if they did blow up an burn what better place for a fire in your home than in the fire place. We never use our fire place as afterall we live in warm and dry Tucson Arizona.