SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I just got a lipo I ordered from HK. I wanted it for LED lights can someone look at this and give me a idea how long and how many 4 light strips this battery will light up? here are the numbers- Capacity(mAh) 1450
Config(s) 3
Discharge(c) 1
Weight(g) 95
Max Charge Rate (C) 1
Length-A(mm) 93
Height-B(mm) 40
Width-C(mm) 14
For a 3cell lipo this battery feels so light I thought the box was empty! . It was sold as a transmitter battery but I have high hope I can use it for the lights Opinions? THANKS!http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9787
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:49 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
As I dismantle....
I'm going to try u2builder's F1/F2 suggestion.
Then I'm going to try your suggestion & disconnect all the motors/ESC leads and try to connect.
Then, I'll probably try to connect to just the powered up Naza with no receiver.
These things were all on my "might void warranty" list.
Now, like you said, I've got nothing to lose.
Cool, I hope one of those suggestions - or possibly something else that may be found by last-minute inspiration - fixes your problem. It would be nice if it were that simple. Powering up the Naza without ESCs plugged in shouldn't affect anything, but I totally understand your reluctance as the last thing you want to do is void the warranty on something as expensive as that.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:07 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,017 Posts
Motors All Beeped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Cool, I hope one of those suggestions - or possibly something else that may be found by last-minute inspiration - fixes your problem. It would be nice if it were that simple. Powering up the Naza without ESCs plugged in shouldn't affect anything, but I totally understand your reluctance as the last thing you want to do is void the warranty on something as expensive as that.
FWIW, when I did the F1 to F2 jumper, I experienced a 70/min beep from the motors.
As a precaution, I checked to see if each of the six motors were beeping and they were.
I assumed that to be an indication that the motor circuits were functioning correctly.
But so far my assumptions have been really bad...
There's no telling what I'll find/see tonight.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:09 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Know what they say about assumptions... makes an ass out of u and mptions.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:18 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,017 Posts
LED Strip Current Draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I just got a lipo I ordered from HK. I wanted it for LED lights can someone look at this and give me a idea how long and how many 4 light strips this battery will light up? here are the numbers- Capacity(mAh) 1450
Config(s) 3
Discharge(c) 1
Weight(g) 95
Max Charge Rate (C) 1
Length-A(mm) 93
Height-B(mm) 40
Width-C(mm) 14
For a 3cell lipo this battery feels so light I thought the box was empty! . It was sold as a transmitter battery but I have high hope I can use it for the lights
Opinions? THANKS!http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9787
Find what the current draw is for your 4 LED strips.
Your battery can deliver 1.45A for an hour and it will be drained completely.
Use about 80% or 1.2A as your power supply capacity.
The LED strips will be in parallel with each other, so your currents will add.
Be sure your LED strips can handle ~12 volts.
Divide 1.2A by the Led Strip Current Draw and it will tell you how many strips will burn for an hour...
This is perfect math, and an imperfect (real-life) scenario will probably be a little less than what you calculate.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:21 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,017 Posts
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Know what they say about assumptions... makes an ass out of u and mptions.
You don't have to remind me of that.
I'm learning this lesson the hard way in spite of how hard I try...
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Find what the current draw is for your 4 LED strips.
Your battery can deliver 1.45A for an hour and it will be drained completely.
Use about 80% or 1.2A as your power supply capacity.
The LED strips will be in parallel with each other, so your currents will add.
Be sure your LED strips can handle ~12 volts.
Divide 1.2A by the Led Strip Current Draw and it will tell you how many strips will burn for an hour...
This is perfect math, and an imperfect (real-life) scenario will probably be a little less than what you calculate.
The strips are set up for 12 volts If I can get them to work for 30 min. I would be happy! there will be 7-8 strips with 4 lights per strip. I don't know the Amps it will draw though. THANKS!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:58 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
The strips are set up for 12 volts If I can get them to work for 30 min. I would be happy! there will be 7-8 strips with 4 lights per strip. I don't know the Amps it will draw though. THANKS!
I have my quad lit up with I think 8 strips with ~10 LEDs each and I pull about 1 amp resting from what I recall. So, I think your battery is overkill, but it will definitely accomplish your goal. Why not just power off your flight batt?

That's .2 lbs of battery your adding just for lights or roughly %6 of the recommended AUW of the F450.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
I have my quad lit up with I think 8 strips with ~10 LEDs each and I pull about 1 amp resting from what I recall. So, I think your battery is overkill, but it will definitely accomplish your goal. Why not just power off your flight batt?

That's .2 lbs of battery your adding just for lights or roughly %6 of the recommended AUW of the F450.
Thanks! the lights and the two batteries will be all that's on the 450. It has been striped of its camera, ezosd and the 600mW immersion video x gear. The flight battery is a 4 cell and too high a voltage for the lights. I know they have voltage step down stuff but for me the small battery will be much easier.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:02 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,017 Posts
LED Current Draw = Low

GW, like Cervanchez is saying, the current draw from your LEDs will be low.
Your battery will probably power the LEDs for a good while.
Since you don't know a current draw for your 4 LED strips, why don't you pick out about how many you want to use, charge the battery, and temporarily wire them up to it?
You could check the battery every 10 minutes or so to be sure you don't drain it too low...
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
GW, like Cervanchez is saying, the current draw from your LEDs will be low.
Your battery will probably power the LEDs for a good while.
Since you don't know a current draw for your 4 LED strips, why don't you pick out about how many you want to use, charge the battery, and temporarily wire them up to it?
You could check the battery every 10 minutes or so to be sure you don't drain it too low...
Good idea!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:17 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,017 Posts
Science Fair Project

Quote:
As I dismantle....
I'm going to try u2builder's F1/F2 suggestion.
Then I'm going to try your suggestion & disconnect all the motors/ESC leads and try to connect.
Then, I'll probably try to connect to just the powered up Naza with no receiver.
These things were all on my "might void warranty" list.
Now, like you said, I've got nothing to lose.
Okay, the second testing phase has begun!
I have commitments tonight that came up, and I won't be able to get through every test we've planned, but I'm sorry to say:

u2builder's hypothesis did not prove successful:
Note: Assistant is running on computer through all of this...
I jumpered F1 to F2, powered transmitter and Naza, and connected the Naza to the USB cable.
The result was the same...
USB Device Not Recognized One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.
For good measure, I did the F1 to F2 jumper again, powered the transmitter and Naza, powered down the Naza & transmitter, disconnected F1 to F2 jumper.
I then powered the transmitter and Naza, connected the Naza to the USB cable.
The result was the same...
USB Device Not Recognized One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.
So, there's no reset procedure or sequence that seems to work.
I will keep the jumper available to try as I systematically disconnect ESCs and then ESCs and receiver tomorrow night.

Professor TJ, signing off.
PS: This still sucks!
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 14, 2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Clarified
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:18 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,017 Posts
I still have a few...

Quote:
Good idea!
My Naza's dead.
Not my brain...
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:32 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! the lights and the two batteries will be all that's on the 450. It has been striped of its camera, ezosd and the 600mW immersion video x gear. The flight battery is a 4 cell and too high a voltage for the lights. I know they have voltage step down stuff but for me the small battery will be much easier.
Oh ya I forgot that the 1 amp or so included full fpv gear, lol. Your batt should light u up for days
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
Oh ya I forgot that the 1 amp or so included full fpv gear, lol. Your batt should light u up for days
Good to know! maybe I will add 2-3 navigation strobes as well. They have some nice stuff here http://www.flytron.com/rc-light-syst...obe-green.html

TJ should take a look! these strobes will really make his and my quad easy to spot at great distance!. The prices for this stuff are good as well!. Here is a video with these strobes in action- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=yJ9RRCWd2lc