HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:39 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
So, you're saying you left the jumper on and tried to connect via USB?
Since this whole thing is caving in so-to-speak, before I disconnect everything in preparation for a trip to the Orient, I may try leaving the jumper on with the Naza powered.
I'll then try to connect the USB and see what happens.
At this point I've got nothing to lose...
Absolutely TJ. Nothing to lose.

Then buy another Naza while yours is back for service. No point waiting, life is too short. It could take months. That's what I did. I killed me spending the money but I just couldn't get myself into a waiting game. My mother used to say "it only hurts when you write the check". I tell myself that a lot.

When yours comes back you can

A. Keep it and have a spare or an excuse to build another ship, maybe a TBS Disco.

B. Sell it on Groups or Ebay and probably get a couple hundred bucks or close to that.

P.S. My dealer gave me pretty much the same story. They don't have much margin I don't think and DJI is clearly not set up for service. Plus there are people out there that probably wreck them and send them back for warrantee. We have to take the good with the bad to play this game.

I just burned up a FPV TX today because I am an idiot and wired it wrong. I knew what to do, just got a couple wires mixed up.. Thought I had checked it and didn't. Got a red 5 v and a red 12 v backwards. A tired old mind can play tricks late at night. It kills me, but it is they way it goes and I am going to put it behind me and by another one, but of course they are out of stock. I am gonna take my mother's advice on this too. Luckily I didn't burn out anything else and had just bought another one for a future project. LOL or COL (that's cry out loud, don't know if it is proper code but if not I just invented it).
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:41 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,030 Posts
Check My Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
huh?
There is a post on my blog about how to program Naza to be flown in Heli Mode on your transmitter.
I think MCrites made the comment in reference to your throttle and another channel being linked with a mix. That is essentially how the throttle and pitch channels work off the throttle stick in Heli Mode.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Merry Christmas 2014!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:48 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,030 Posts
@u2builder

"Absolutely TJ. Nothing to lose.
Then buy another Naza while yours is back for service. No point waiting, life is too short. It could take months.
When yours comes back you can:
A. Keep it and have a spare or an excuse to build another ship, maybe a TBS Disco.
B. Sell it on Groups or Ebay and probably get a couple hundred bucks or close to that."

Your suggestion has crossed my mind.
But like you said in the rest of your post...
A tired old mind can play tricks on you.
I'm going to wait until mine is not quite so tired before I push the button on another Naza...
I wonder how much this happens and DJI gets to enjoy yet another sale?
It's no wonder China will pass the USA in 2017. They have things like this set up so it's win/win for them...

Right now I have a headache and that brick in my stomach feeling...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:02 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Then buy another Naza while yours is back for service. No point waiting, life is too short. It could take months.
B. Sell it on Groups or Ebay and probably get a couple hundred bucks or close to that."

I'm going to wait until mine is not quite so tired before I push the button on another Naza...
It's no wonder China will pass the USA in 2017. They have things like this set up so it's win/win for them...

Shall we all take up a collection for your new NAZA? (Just kidding) I hope you get things fixed I have a working NAZA and I cant get it to work I know its sad but what am I supposed to do?. I believe you said you have a second NAZA didn't you? I must be loosing my mind! I am sure you will be able to sell one if you have to, or like me you can put it in your extra parts box in the closet.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Last edited by goldsworthy; Nov 14, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
There is a post on my blog about how to program Naza to be flown in Heli Mode on your transmitter.
I think MCrites made the comment in reference to your throttle and another channel being linked with a mix. That is essentially how the throttle and pitch channels work off the throttle stick in Heli Mode.
So what mode for the NAZA do you recomend? I have them all
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:22 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
You know what they say T.J.: In for a penny, in for a pound.

You are sitting on a $600 hex and it ain't flying and neither are you!

Double down man. Life is short. You can have one in two days! Got Heli./RC Dude/UAV

COL
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:26 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,030 Posts
I Can't Decide For You...

Quote:
So what mode for the NAZA do you recomend? I have them all
The Acro programming is a little easier for most RC pilots because that's what they are used to.
When it comes to mixes nearly everyone gets a little confused.
You'll most likely need to use mixes in Acro to get the 4 flight modes (Atti, AttiGPS, Manual, Failsafe).
I try to fly helis and planes, so I have had to figure out Heli Mode. I personally like it because I'm used to the Heli Mode switch positions.
In your case, you are not using GPS. Therefore you just need 3 flight modes (Atti, Manual, Failsafe). You won't even need a mix. I think you aught to stay with Acro...

And that is just my $.02, not a decision...
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:30 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,030 Posts
I know, I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
You know what they say T.J.: In for a penny, in for a pound.

You are sitting on a $600 hex and it ain't flying and neither are you!

Double down man. Life is short. You can have one in two days! Got Heli./RC Dude/UAV

COL
I'm the one that says to others you need to be prepared to crash because you most surely will, eventually.
I just don't like crashing without flying.
Let me try all those suggestions I was scared to try because I was afraid they would void my warranty (joke).
I'll probably be in a better mood after that.
Uncertainty is something that really eats at me.
Just my personality type, I guess.

As far as flying...
I still have the F450, several electric helis, a gasser heli, and about 20 planes ranging from 48" to 120" wingspans.
I can pretty much fly as I please.
I'm like you...
This Naza thing is so neat, I can't get over it...
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:33 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
I was friends with an old Ultralight pilot back in the day. He was telling me about a flight he took on a cold winter day when he flew about 20 miles right down on the deck above the Connecticut River between NH and VT. He said "you know, if I never had another flight in my life, this one flight was worth all the effort I have put into this hobby".

There is a lot of pain in this hobby too. I started late in life, but I am putting a lot of blood and treasure into it. I had my first FPV flight with a Go Pro attached to my DJI-550 on Sunday. It made all the blood, sweat, tears and treasure worth it. If I were to never have another flight, it was worth it.

The video is long because I couldn't bear to edit out any of it.

My first FPV video on a mild November day in New Hampshire (6 min 27 sec)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,030 Posts
@u2builder

Thanks for sharing that!
It puts things in perspective.
You got it bad as I do, man.
I guess it's better than being addicted to smoking, chemicals, sex (?), etc.
I wish I was up in the air right now!

And I was only 7 when I caught it hanging onto the end of a CL handle flying a Cox PT19 Trainer.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:

GET WELL SOON!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:46 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,078 Posts
Hi TJ, if you're at the "got nothing to lose" stage - and I hate it's gotten to that point... I hate having an imcomplete project on the bench - have you tried powering up the Naza without anything else plugged into it? I'm just wondering/curious if an ESC or something is faulty and is causing the Naza to freak out.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Hi TJ, if you're at the "got nothing to lose" stage - and I hate it's gotten to that point... I hate having an imcomplete project on the bench - have you tried powering up the Naza without anything else plugged into it? I'm just wondering/curious if an ESC or something is faulty and is causing the Naza to freak out.
He has tried EVERYTHING!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:51 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,078 Posts
Quote:
He has tried EVERYTHING!
I know it feels that way sometimes. I'm just thinking that we find the problems though process of elimination. And if the Naza powers up without anything plugged into it, things can be reconnected one by one until the problem reappears. Just trying to help, that's all.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:11 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,030 Posts
Gonna Try It Tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I know it feels that way sometimes. I'm just thinking that we find the problems though process of elimination. And if the Naza powers up without anything plugged into it, things can be reconnected one by one until the problem reappears. Just trying to help, that's all.
As I dismantle....
I'm going to try u2builder's F1/F2 suggestion.
Then I'm going to try your suggestion & disconnect all the motors/ESC leads and try to connect.
Then, I'll probably try to connect to just the powered up Naza with no receiver.
These things were all on my "might void warranty" list.
Now, like you said, I've got nothing to lose.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 14, 2012 at 04:17 PM.