Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,517 Posts
Serial Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
This may be insignificant, but yesterday when I was downloading the NAZA software for my use with the same NAZA controller I previously used on another computer I had to manually re install the serial number in the second computer to make the software work. The software had sent the correct number but would not work until I re entered the number again in the empty window
I'm up for suggestions, so nothing is insignificant.
It just occurred to me that I don't even have the serial number for Naza #1 written down.
Until now, it has not even been an issue.
I know that it's accessed with the ABOUT pulldown.
I think I'll copy it somewhere the next time I have Naza #1 connected to the Assistant.
Since Naza #2 won't connect to the Assistant, Lord only knows its serial number...
If I'd gotten far enough to have that serial number problem of yours, GW, I'd be happy...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: "In Stock"
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:26 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,555 Posts
Hi TJ, I read through your troubles and I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. Allow me to chime in, if you don't mind -

1. If your original Naza is connecting to your computer with no problems, and the other one does not, it is not your computer. Unfortunately, many companies are quick to blame one's computer because everyone's computer is different. However, the computer, OS, and cables can be eliminated from the equation because it works fine with one Naza.

(side note, one of the unwritten rules in IT is to blame the other guy. I don't know how many times over my 15+ year IT career I have called/contacted support and/or another IT department to have them almost immediately say, "Nope, not our problem, everything is working fine over here!" Grrrrr that just boils my blood and that's a rule I DO NOT follow.)

2. If you have already tried this, then my apologies but I didn't see it mentioned. Have you tried powering up the Naza and connecting it to your computer without any ESCs connected? I know you won't get the confirmation tones but I'm wondering if you have a faulty ESC that's making the Naza freak out?
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:37 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Hey T.J., not to overwhelm you with ideas, but when you connected to your work computer did you do the F1 F2 jumper thing. When my friend who could not connect to his computer came and used mine I believe we had to do the F1 F2 thing to get it to work. Power up with jumpers connected.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:40 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,517 Posts
@ Mike_Then

Buck passing happens in every line of work...
And I'm trying to protect my $400+ investment here...
Your disconnect the ESCs suggestion, and connecting just the Naza to the computer without ESCs or Reciever (from jetstuff) are good possibilities.
The way I'm treating this situation right now is that Naza #2 belongs to UAVP and DJI.
I've tried all the "by the book" suggestions.
Before I go trying things that are slightly away from normal conditions, I want them to agree with the suggestion or make it themselves.

I'm leaving everything set-up and together right now in case UAVP wants me to try anything else before I disconnect the Naza.
After I get the ESCs disconnected, I may test each with my receiver to see that the ESC/motor unit are functioning properly.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 14, 2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Added more
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:47 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,517 Posts
F1/F2 = Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Hey T.J., not to overwhelm you with ideas, but when you connected to your work computer did you do the F1 F2 jumper thing. When my friend who could not connect to his computer came and used mine I believe we had to do the F1 F2 thing to get it to work. Power up with jumpers connected.
I tried every combination of F1/F2 with both computers.
The only thing I did not try was leaving the jumper in place while attempting to connect via USB.
Since the F1/F2 is a reset, I did not think the reset needed to stay connected.
BTW, DJI needs to establish a recommended F1/F2 procedure with comments on what we should expect to see. Right now, they just say what you see in the email they sent me...
"You mean 1 naza is working fine with your PC?
If yes, pls jumper F1 and F2 of the defected Naza, then connect to Assistant."
That leaves a lot open to interpretation!
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:41 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Today's video question challenge is......
VID00350 (0 min 22 sec)
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:48 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Looks like you have a mix or channel assignment that involves your throttle and the U channel. Go through your TX, my guess is you have both the U channel and Throttle assigned to the same thing.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:04 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
The only thing I did not try was leaving the jumper in place while attempting to connect via USB.
It might be worth a try. I know when I did it I did connect the computer to the Assistant. It may need to establish some type of communication.

Who knows.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Looks like you have a mix or channel assignment that involves your throttle and the U channel. Go through your TX, my guess is you have both the U channel and Throttle assigned to the same thing.
I used this video to set up the RX with the NAZA. I just re did it and got the same response
How to set up DJI Naza step by step video with transmitter setup (12 min 19 sec)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:13 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Why do people use Heli mode for Naza? There are no heli functions needed.

Honestly GW I don't know enough about that system to give any input.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:21 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,517 Posts
I Have Spoken With UAV Products

Here's the latest chapter:
Robert at UAVP sent me an email this morning warning me that I should not let Windows try to load the driver for the Naza/Assistant.
I tried to call him and got a full voice-mail mailbox.
I replied to his email re-assuring him that I had followed h00t's driver installation instructions.
I then tried to call him again and he answered the phone.
After some brief recapping of my situation, he concluded that the Naza was probably bad.
What convinced him was the fact that Naza #1 would connect and Naza #2 would not on two different computers.
He told me to send the Naza & VU back for warranty service.
I asked him how long it might be before I get a replacement Naza & VU.
He explained that my Naza & VU would be looked at when he gets it, but he would most likely have to return it to DJI.
He says he's been burned by doing replacements on his own as a dealer.
So, I get to wait for perhaps a month until my Naza & VU go to China!

It goes without saying that I am disappointed.
I even tried to tell Robert how much I've promoted and helped DJI.
He said it was appreciated, but that made no difference.
And now this REALLY SUCKS!
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,517 Posts
I Do

Quote:

It gives me three flight modes on my FM switch, plus Failsafe on my Throttle Hold switch with absolutely no channel mixes required other than those built into my transmitter for Heli Mode...
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,517 Posts
Might try it , now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
It might be worth a try. I know when I did it I did connect the computer to the Assistant. It may need to establish some type of communication.

Who knows.
So, you're saying you left the jumper on and tried to connect via USB?
Since this whole thing is caving in so-to-speak, before I disconnect everything in preparation for a trip to the Orient, I may try leaving the jumper on with the Naza powered.
I'll then try to connect the USB and see what happens.
At this point I've got nothing to lose...
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:

I can not believe you are stumped! If you don't know NO ONE WILL! Here are what my channels look like now on the radio-
VID00352 (3 min 15 sec)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t j gilbert View Post
it gives me three flight modes on my fm switch, plus failsafe on my throttle hold switch with absolutely no channel mixes required other than those built into my transmitter for heli mode...
huh?