HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2011, 04:44 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,043 Posts
Build Log
1971 Miss Hallmark Homes

Since we are in building season, and the Miss Renault is waiting for graphics... it is time to start project #2.

Since our club races both the "Classic" 1/10th scale and "Modern" 1/10th scale boats I need a "Classic" hull. As it turned out there was an available set of laser cut bulkheads for hull #101 - the Karelson hull which will make several different boats including the Red Man, the checkerboard Bardahl and of course the Hallmark Homes just to name a few. My plan, needless to say, is to do the Hallmark Homes.

As for the parts, the setup and laser cutting for the 1/10th scale bulkheads was done by Mike over at ML Boatworks and the parts are very nice and clean. The cowling will be a molded unit by Mitch Dillard (hydroscale@gmail.com), and finally graphics from Mike at Thunderboat Graphics. Since I have one more Proboat 1500 motor sitting around, that is the likely power plant with a Turnigy 120 ESC.

The original boat was driven by Lief Borgerson in the 1971 season. It had championship potential since it was the former Gold cup winner and national high points champion 1967/68 Miss Bardahl. At the 1971 Gold Cup in Madison, the race was less than thirty seconds old when Hallmark Homes disintegrated in a geyser of spray and sank in the first turn of Heat 1-A, after encountering the roostertail of the Atlas Van Lines. Leif Borgersen escaped injury, but his boat was totaled.

I am hoping for slightly better results.

The side view picture of the boat up on the sling show the really tiny skid fin they used to use on these boats. Just a nub of a fin. Amazing.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Last edited by cyberhoops; Nov 08, 2011 at 10:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2011, 05:34 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,043 Posts
Parts

The laser cut parts consisted of a 1/16" sheet of bulkheads and a 1/8" sheet of the stringers and sheers. The wood is very nice quality and the tabs left from the laser are nearly invisible. The parts practically fell out of the sheets.

The transom is two 1/8th pieces to make a 1/4 thick transom with the back piece notched differently to make a smooth back. The bulkheads at the turn fin (6) and hull center (3) are also 1/8th, while the remaining bulkheads (2,4,5,7,8,9) are all 1/16th. They all have nice clean holes and slots.

The bottoms of the bulkheads have some little half round dimples sculpted out. I am not quite sure what those are for... maybe water drainage? Carbon fiber support strips?

The pieces slot together perfectly, with the only challenge being the transom piece since the stringers are bending quite a bit back to the transom. (I use the work challenge loosely here since it just means I will need more than 10 seconds to assemble that part)

The two sponson sheers also have a nice little dovetail joint in the nose. Gotta love it.
Last edited by cyberhoops; Nov 08, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:35 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,331 Posts
Gonna be a nice one!
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Nov 08, 2011, 11:34 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,043 Posts
Since my universal building board is still just an unrealized concept, I broke down and made a building board for the Hallmark Homes.

The tunnel width of the boat is 8 5/8" - which is about 1/2" less than my current modern hull 1/10th scale boats. The Renault is 9 1/8, and the Oberto was 9 1/4.

Now we can get down to some glue! Ok - maybe not glue quite yet, but at least cutting out the bottom of the hull from 1/32" plywood. This time I made a single sheet for the bottom instead of splitting it where the angle changes. It seems to be laying out on the board just fine and removes one potential source of structural failure.

The stringer slots for the hull are for 3/16" square pieces, of which I have none. Given that I am sure to run out of 1/32" plywood it is going to be time for another wood order from National Balsa.
Last edited by cyberhoops; Nov 09, 2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 02:06 AM
Auburn ,Wa.
Joined Mar 2003
4 Posts
Jim, you are fast . I knew that you would have to do something with it today. Have fun and get it glued up by Sat. and bring it along for the meeting.

Jim
Jim Bickford is offline Find More Posts by Jim Bickford
Old Nov 09, 2011, 02:17 AM
Auburn ,Wa.
Joined Mar 2003
4 Posts
Jim, Good looking Renault. Bring it along with you on sat. also. As for the building board split it down the middle and add adjustable arms under the deck and attached to the bulkheads with slots, bolts and wing nuts so you can move the width from side to side.

Jim
Jim Bickford is offline Find More Posts by Jim Bickford
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:17 AM
Australia, VIC, Blackburn North
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Isn't that a Cooper S in that last pic?
mozzyrocks is offline Find More Posts by mozzyrocks
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:47 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,043 Posts
Yes indeed - 2006 Mini Cooper S. It shares the garage with the boats.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 01:27 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,043 Posts
A couple more pictures of the Hallmark Homes. It is pretty sweet that all of these pictures exist for the boat since it will help in getting accurate scale details on the build.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 03:08 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Apr 2002
391 Posts
Jim I have a Template made for the windshield that will shape the windshield I can make you one if you need it.
Jim
JimClark is offline Find More Posts by JimClark
Old Nov 09, 2011, 03:37 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,043 Posts
That would be really good, I was wondering how I was going to make the curved windshield.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:59 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,043 Posts
Battery opening

After reading some comments from Jim Clark when Capt Crash was doing his Miss Bardahl build I have cut an opening in bulkhead #8 so that the batteries can move another couple inches forward. I added a little carbon fiber around the opening for strength.

Beyond that I am stuck for a bit since the LHS was out of 3/16" square stock and I need that for the stringers. I have the order in for more wood to National Balsa, but it will be a week now before I get it.

On the up side I should be able to pick up the cowling from Mitch today!

Old Nov 12, 2011, 02:19 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,043 Posts
With a trip to a second hobby shop I got some 3/16th strips and was able to glue up the bulkheads and stringers to the bottom of the hull. It all came out nicely straight and square. The bottom of the hull is 1/32" plywood.

I also picked up the cowling. It is made from a fairly thick plastic and will work very nicely. It needs a lot of trimming to fit the deck shape, but it is pulled deep enough to allow for that.

Next up is probably the non-trip and then lots of pink foam.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:17 AM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,331 Posts
Ya know, i have never actually 'built' a boat from ground up................but i can see myself accepting the challenge of trying one..................certainly a marvel of engineering if you really think about it.

Great job on this!
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Nov 13, 2011, 01:12 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,043 Posts
Well, if you ever decide to build a boat from scratch - one of the ML Boatworks laser cut kits is certainly an excellent way to go. So far everything is fitting together very nicely.

I got the non-trip chines on today in 1/32nd plywood and added the little "cap" strip to the edge. I had to do the non-trip in two pieces because trying to get the right flat pattern to bend around the curve to the transom was not working. I reinforced the seam with a bit more 1/32 plywood on the inside. A little filling and sanding and it will be good to go.

Next up: Pink form for the nose and sponsons.
Last edited by cyberhoops; Nov 13, 2011 at 02:26 AM.