HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:04 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
It flew like pretty much any decent imac plane, wasnt squirrely to me at all but then again the point people consider "squirrely" or "a handfull" differs quite a bit from person to person. I have been flying over 30 years and fly everything from 3 channel trainers to turbine powered jets so my opinion might be vastly different than the next fella. Hope this helps.

Mendo
Thanks, I am not a newbie but not a seasoned pro either. I have the following and I have successfully crashed all of them.....

HH Micro t-28 (A+)
Ember2
Sukhoi (1st gen, hated this as it was very squirrly, but didn't have a whole lot of 4 ch exp at the time)
HH Micro P-51d Mustang
HK kinetic 800 (probably my favorite plane)
HK Mini Swift
HH Champ (love this too)
UMF-27 Stryker

Full sized stuff...
HH F4u
HH t-28
HK SkyFun Jet
Slow Stick
Aerobird3 (with a brushless upgrade)
Ez Star

There's probably a few I missed but you get the idea.
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:20 AM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Well, if you get it set up well and use some dual rates and expo its pretty tame. Anyone with a little 4 channel experience would have no trouble with it at all. Out of the stuff you have listed its handling has more in common with the sukhoi than any of the others. For the money its hard to beat and alot of fun, I would say its as good as anything HH has out that I have flown which is pretty much everything except the new as3x stuff. Get one and just start off with low rates and a bit of expo, make sure the cg is spot on and you will enjoy it for sure.
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:43 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
Well, if you get it set up well and use some dual rates and expo its pretty tame. Anyone with a little 4 channel experience would have no trouble with it at all. Out of the stuff you have listed its handling has more in common with the sukhoi than any of the others. For the money its hard to beat and alot of fun, I would say its as good as anything HH has out that I have flown which is pretty much everything except the new as3x stuff. Get one and just start off with low rates and a bit of expo, make sure the cg is spot on and you will enjoy it for sure.
Nice, Thanks.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:25 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,632 Posts
Well got my Durafly Edge 540 and the wing tips (1/4-1/2 inch) were cracked completly off. Sent a email to HK and am "awaiting" a response. LOL. Good thing there stuff is so cheap cuz I am not expecting much from support but you never know. To be frank the wing tips on this thing are quite thin imho.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:17 AM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
Well got my Durafly Edge 540 and the wing tips (1/4-1/2 inch) were cracked completly off. Sent a email to HK and am "awaiting" a response. LOL. Good thing there stuff is so cheap cuz I am not expecting much from support but you never know. To be frank the wing tips on this thing are quite thin imho.
The horizontal stabilizers of my Skyangel T-45 Hawk were pushed well down by those stupid packing airbags, so I sympathize and concur that Hobbyking NEEDS to pay attention to this and other easily resolved problems.

That said, if those tips were simply snapped off and not crushed they could be fixed in a few minutes with some thinned aliphatic resin glue. Water soluble, any excess can be wiped clean with a damp cloth, it makes a very strong bond and the damage would be pretty much invisible.

The more I tinker with my little 35mm jet, the more impressed I am with how clever a gizmo it is, from the tiny EDF unit to the miniscule 1.7g servos that work so smoothly. Those displaced horizontal stabilizers were brainlessly easy to set right, I removed them, picked off the residual glue, and reglued them much more satisfactorily with Sig-Bond.

I'm going to add some 1/64" ply pieces to the rear of the foam canopy indexing key as well as a piece on the interior cutout so it won't loosen with use as the bare foam is already doing, and I may replace the aileron pushrods with a bit thicker wire to remove the bit of slop they have now too. Fun 'hobby stuff' and everything I try makes it better.

HK most certainly does need to get up to speed on their QC, but I'm pretty impressed with their offerings. If they get their act together, I bet they could be a truly serious player in the business.
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Last edited by mu2freighter; Jan 04, 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
My wingips were cracked as well, I re glued them right away but I think I am going to end up cutting them off and squaring the wingtips at some point soon. Might make some removable sfg's for the wingtips as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:02 PM
Now, what does this button do?
Christchurch. NZ
Joined Dec 2009
578 Posts
Quote:
Paypal have given me a full refund (Thank you) In contrast HK were pathetic.

First offer was $1 credit !!! Then $12 off, if I bought another one!! (& withdrew my complaint with Paypal)

So, it is in the bin, thank you so much for your Customer Service (Paypal)
NO thanks at all to that from HK
Nukiwi is offline Find More Posts by Nukiwi
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukiwi View Post

First offer was $1 credit !!! Then $12 off, if I bought another one!! (& withdrew my complaint with Paypal)

To bad you are in NZ, I would take it off your hands cheap
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 10:12 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukiwi View Post

That's pretty pitiful HK.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:29 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I orderd the parts to build one of these. Hopefully I'll get them in a couple weeks.

haven't decided on a Brick or RX/servos, yet.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:45 AM
Essex, UK
Joined Dec 2003
579 Posts
Just ordered mine!! Fingers crossed on the wing tips!
Ahmed is offline Find More Posts by Ahmed
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:04 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
They still had a couple spare wings in stock, I would pick one up just to up the odds, if you end up with 2 perfect wings Ill buy the spare from you lol. I noticed they are almost out of the 540 spares.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:15 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Just ordered mine!! Fingers crossed on the wing tips!
Good luck :zk
Old Jan 06, 2012, 06:42 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Here are some of the last remaining spares with Buddy codes to save a little:

Fuselage
Landing Gear
Horizontal Tail
Motor Cover
Canopy
Main Wing
Vertical Tail
Decal Sheet
Spinner
Replacement motor mount
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Dec 2010
124 Posts
I sent all the photos to HK with the snapped wing tips and they kept telling that the supplier would be sending them a new wing to send me, this went on for weeks and I fed up with it, so.....

I bought a new wing for my 540 Edge and then opened a dispute with Paypal to recover the amount of the new wing plus shipping from my original purchase of the Edge with HK.

HK eventually gave me store points to the value of a new wing & shipping.
damage2008 is offline Find More Posts by damage2008