SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2011, 03:20 AM
big bruce
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Discussion
F5D summit from Big Bruce Racing Australia

Well here goes with a new thread.
Tomorrow I will add photos of my new F5D model, including construction shots before the wing mold is closed and basic building of the 2 model from the molds.
From there I will update info on the development of the plane and prop/power system.
I am new into the electric scene but been pylon racing for 36 years and even the first racer I flew was an own design so it is in my blood to design and develop. For me thast is the majority of the fun, then racing and watching others race my designs finishes off the complete package for me.
So hang tight and in 24 huors photos will start to appear.
Bruce
big bruce is offline Find More Posts by big bruce
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2011, 03:56 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Bruce,
I'm at least one potential customer lurking in eager anticipation!

Roll on the build log and photos!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Nov 08, 2011, 05:05 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,302 Posts
^ +1

If you could include some photos with a ruler in the battery bay, so I can figure out suitable way to jam too many watts into it, it'd be great!
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Nov 08, 2011, 12:33 PM
Go on just 1 more beer then
Bournemouth Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Aug 2004
726 Posts
Subscribe
Rob AR is offline Find More Posts by Rob AR
Old Nov 08, 2011, 03:18 PM
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 2009
29 Posts
ChristophF5D is offline Find More Posts by ChristophF5D
Old Nov 08, 2011, 03:46 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,471 Posts
+1......
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Nov 08, 2011, 03:59 PM
big bruce
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
well, here is the finished product. Model #1
went overboard trying to keep everything light and ended up over 50g underweight, but with a direct drive. #2 is underway now and will have Kontronik 31 gear drive. Working on it today so will get photos up tonight when I get done for the day.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 04:06 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,346 Posts
Totally in awe! Keep up the good work!
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Nov 09, 2011, 02:52 AM
big bruce
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
1 more hour and I start uploading photos!
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:36 AM
big bruce
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
here goes for the wing. Painting done then 4 hours later lay up with 3/4oz glass then 80g spread toe carbon. 1mm balsa with pre wetted tapering carbon spar made from rovings and lengths set by the old faithful nails in the board trick, then finally another layer of 3/4oz glass on the inside of the balsa.
( ps. my internet connection is wireless and super slow, uploading these photos takes forever! )
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:43 AM
big bruce
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
6 hours in the vacuum bag at minimum 30 deg ( celcius !! ) then out and trimmed, then a minimum 4 hours more before starting to work on the joining.
12 ribs, spars, flap spars, all laser cut. Joned and clamped for another 18 hours.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:46 AM
big bruce
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
internet is way too slow tonight, will send photos of body construction and finished model tomorrow. Made the body much stronger, but went too far and added 20g which is mostly in the back end so struggling with the CG now. First body was 80g, flies OK but feels weak, this one at 100g is like a baseball bat and can cut back. So shoting for 90g on #3. But still with 450ma batt, heavy regulator and gear drive system it has come in at 995g. So I have room to work with.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:11 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,866 Posts
How thick is that wing? Looks quite deep from the pics.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:13 AM
big bruce
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
wing and tail out of the mold. wing at 224g and tail 18g.
Servos in this one are MKS 460, metal geared, digital, ball bearing, 10mm think and almost fit inside the wing. close enough that a flat plate cove conforms over the slight extrusion. I have some Graupner 9mm think servos coming from Germany that are suoer strong and at 9mm will fit inside nicely, but who can wait 2 more weeks to get another bird in the air.
I am using flapperon system, it lifts 2mm at the t.e. for straight flight and drops to neutral in the turns, also keeping the linkage close into the body puts them all in the messed up air from the prop and nowhere near the drag of linkages further out the wing, also not having tha horrible bulge for the servo outboard should be a good thing ( I particularly hated that ugly draggy bulge I saw on other models )
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:16 AM
big bruce
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSawers View Post
How thick is that wing? Looks quite deep from the pics.
airfoil is HN-354SR 8% thick and then reducing camber after 70% of the span to the tip. I do not believe thin is best!!