SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2011, 10:01 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Build Log
Airtronics Legend Build

I started this last spring, but put it aside when flying season got under way. I took today off work and cleaned up the shop, so it's back on the building board.

So far I've built the tail group and I'm well on my way with the wing center section. I tired to be careful and not make the tail too heavy. I removed a little bit of material from the elevator actuator assembly and shortened the threaded pieces that go into the ends of the carbon fiber rod in order to save a little weight. I also used fewer ribs on the elevator, both to save weight and also so that I would be dealing with 45 degree cuts instead of some odd angle. Hopefully everything will still be strong enough.

For the wing center section I'm pretty much by the plan except for wrapping the spar with wax-free dental floss. Today I glued in the spruce leading edge piece and sanded the angle into the wing TE and flap LE. This is actually difficult to do without accidentally sanding the wing ribs. I put little pieces of masking tape on each rib to protect it, and have sanded down as far as I can. I've removed the tape and now there's that tiny bit more that needs to be done. Hopefully I can get it without fouling the ribs.

Jim
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:41 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,700 Posts
Thanks for posting!!!

DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:28 AM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
609 Posts
A big thumbs up!

Will also be
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:45 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Nothing too exciting tonight. I had to make up some aileron servo wire extensions to put inside of the wing center section. I even cleaned up my workbench when I was done. We'll see how long that lasts.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:20 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Started gluing the top sheeting on tonight. Before gluing I put it in place and could feel a bit of a bump where it went over the spar. The spar isn't quit flush with the tops of the ribs. The wrapping on the spar probably didn't help, although I think I'd still have a bump even without it. I marked where the spar would go, laid a straight edge down, and sanded a slight channel into underside of the sheeting. I probably could have sanded a bit more but didn't want to get too carried away. I then glued the back half of the sheeting into place up to and including the spar. I'd have taken a picture but it's just a wing with a bunch of phone books and magazines on it.

Jim
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:44 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Was out of town most of the day. Did just a little work tonight. Finished up the top sheeting. Hopefully more progress and pics tomorrow.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:50 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
991 Posts
Lovely work, Jim. Watching.
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:38 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Ok - the center panel is done except for cutting the flaps free, which I'll do later.
Weights so far...

Wing Center Section: 11.0 oz
Stab and Elevator: 1.9 oz
Rudder and Actuator Assembly: 1.1 oz

Jim
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:51 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Started one of the wing tips tonight. I cut the sheeting to the correct widths first. Then I sanded a taper into the last 3/8" of the trailing edge sheeting. The bottom cap strips were glued in and a spot was cut for the aileron servo access hatch.

The ribs will go in tomorrow night.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:42 AM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Oops!

I had a little extra time this morning before work, so I thought I'd put the ribs on the outboard wing panel. Before this point the instructions have you pin the sheeting to the plans and then glue in the cap strips; so everything is fixed into position at that point. The LE sheeting isn't tapered, so it covers a lot of information towards the wing tips, including the rib positions, etc. Next you lay down the bottom spar and put in the end ribs (W3 and W14) which sets the spar position. I had a moment of panic when I thought the LE and TE sheeting were spaced too far away from each other, but then I realized I was trying to place the rib in the end (W2) position instead of one bay in. Once I moved the rib in to the next bay everything lined up perfectly. I proceeded to glue the ribs in. Next comes the end rib (W2). I couldn't find a W2 in the box anywhere. There were some ply W1 ribs but those aren't notched for the spars, so I knew those weren't it.

Now for the oops. I finally figured out that the rib I had initially tried to glue in the W2 position was indeed the W2 rib! I've now glued all my ribs in the wrong position (except for the W14 end rib, which hasn't been used yet).

Between the ribs not being labeled, and the plans not being quite to scale, as well as information being covered by the sheeting, I managed to get everything in the wrong position.

After some thought, I've decided that I'll be able to correct the problem by simply cutting off the large end so that the W2 rib rib is back out on the end where it belongs, and then extend the tip, which shouldn't be too much trouble.

In hindsight, I should've used the end ribs to position the sheeting instead of lining everything up on the plans. I'll try to post pics tonight when I have more time.

Jim
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:31 AM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
254 Posts
Great looking build! Sorry to hear of your wing rib mistake but I think you came up with a good solution!

Nice clear pictures too. Keep it going!

Cheers, Jim
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:41 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderJim View Post
Ok - the center panel is done except for cutting the flaps free, which I'll do later.
Weights so far...

Wing Center Section: 11.0 oz
Stab and Elevator: 1.9 oz
Rudder and Actuator Assembly: 1.1 oz

Jim
Nice work on those flap LE and wing TE! Build is looking great overall. Sorry about the ribs though.
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:13 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Thanks guys.

So what little precious time I had tonight was spend fixing last night's "oops". It's not pretty, but it'll work. I cut off the wide end, and then glued parts to the narrow end. Everything is back to where it should've been last night at this time.

Jim
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:25 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
991 Posts
Oops. Been there, done that. LOL :-)
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:54 PM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
254 Posts
Your repair looks fine but for "peace of mind" I think I would sister-in a thin piece of spruce in front of the repaired section of the lower spruce spar between the ribs.

Even if it does not structurally need it, chances are decent you may be adding weight to this side for lateral balance anyway eh?

Just an idea
Keep on keeping on - thanks, Jim
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini