SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:11 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Discussion
Very 1st Outboard Race 35 years ago today

35 years ago at Spreckels Lake in San Francisco, the SFMYC held the First Annual Golden Gate Outboard Regatta! This event was designed solely around the introduction of the new K&B 3.5cc outboard. There was just 1 class that dayÖ3.5cc outboard.
Living in Novato at the time, I had heard of the upcoming event from the model boaters at Scottsdale Pond. I didnít realize it at the time, but these were some big name model boaters. Guys like Ken Reilly and Ed Winfeld. I also remember Jones, Loren, Al Wayne and others. My Dad took my brother and I to Golden Gate park on 11/7/76 for this model boat race.
Fast forward to present day. Just by chance I was looking through some old stuff I had. There I found my copy of the official program for that event. I thought I would share it with you here on RCG. Looking through these 7 pages is like going back in time. I have very fond memories of that day and this just brought it right back.
So I dug a little deeper, knowing that I had kept something else about this event. And I found it. I found the event coverage of the First Annual Golden Gate Outboard Regatta in Flying Models magazine, April 1977, written by Jerry Dunlap. Once again, a wonderful time capsule back to that event.
Enjoy.
Bill Blackwell
Slowboat510 is offline Find More Posts by Slowboat510
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Here are pages 5, 6 & 7. Enjoy.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Here is the Flying Models coverage in the April 1977 issue! First, the cover.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Page 59.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Page 60.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:23 PM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Page 61.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:25 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,878 Posts
And a gal whooped all the guys!

Thanks for posting this, what a gem!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 07, 2011, 10:44 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,426 Posts
outstanding
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:02 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,297 Posts
Flying Models magazine, my introduction to model boating in the late 70's.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
Thank you for sharing.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:22 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
All Right!!! Very very Cool! Thank you for finding and posting this!

This is part of the Club's history that many folk have forgotten.

Is there anyway that I could talk you into donating copies to the club????
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Nov 11, 2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:15 AM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
I'm glad that everyone is enjoying the posting of the event program and Flying Models coverage. Wish I had more. I thought maybe someone else might have something from that day. Or maybe some of the event racers or racers from Scottsdale pond might see it and comment.

Craig, I'm especially glad to hear that the SMFYC values it as part of the club history too. I'll send you an email and we can talk more off line.

Does anyone know if there was a 2nd Annual race or future events?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:19 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
There were later races. Jay was in charge and the trophy became known as the "Selby Cup."

The last one, if I recall correctly, was sometime during in the early or mid-80's. I remember helping to set buoys for the event.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Nov 16, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:03 PM
Joined Nov 2011
4 Posts
Bill! Thanks so much for the trip down memory lane. It was later that I entreated the
Mercury people to sponsor the Mercury Outboard Race. M. supplied all the trophies, etc. needed to put it in motion. It was held also at Spreckels Lake with the great support of the SFMYC ! The up-shot of it all was that Charlie Pottal and I decided that there needed to be some OB rules. This became the basis for today's NAMBA rules. The Coads who were the NAMBA'S leaders were gracious enough to appoint me the first NAMBA outboard chairman. It was a long journey to arrive at the point where NAMBA would recognize OB's as a legitimate class. If it weren't for K@B, I doubt that OB's would have gotten off to the start it did. I was lucky enough to establish the first OB 3.5 SAW record of 37.66 mph in 1976 with an all balsa/plywood tunnel hull of my own design!
It takes great courage to grow old...but we all get there. At 82 my racing activities have been some what curtailed, but I still have nitro 3.5's and 7.5's of my own design that I race at Kaiser Cove in Fremont. I also am experimenting w/ inboard gas tunnels. I would like to return and run at Spreckels soon and meet with some SF boaters.
Please feel free to contact me, and also anyone else who was involved in those early days or would like to discuss OB's.

Jay
jstunnel is offline Find More Posts by jstunnel
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:32 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
899 Posts
Jay Anytime you wish to visit Spreckels you have a personal invite. Don Cuicci and I were talking Sunday about the original posting and he asked if you were still this side of the grass. Told him I hoped so but no direct knowledge. Your orange outboard is on display in the clubhouse. So come on over and visit with us.
Lee Duvall
Vice Commodore
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee