HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:28 PM
Ireland, Meath, Ashbourne
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
Yippee!
Several queries for the Ninja 400

Hi Max, after your very helpful reply a couple of weeks back, I kept a close eye on the local E-bay site, and 2 Ninja 400's in varying states of repair arrived in the post this morning, and having had a quick look, I reckon there's not a lot to do to either of them to get them back in the air.

Several questions arise. I seem to recall that a larger battery than the 1100 Mah size is possible, any suggestions as to a larger size that is OK for the 400, the thought that went through my mind was that depending on the weight difference, it might be possible to move the tail rotor servo a little to assist with C of G issues if they arise. I am assuming that the C of G is basically on the mast, or very close to it, I've not yet read the manuals in depth, as I reckon they will make more sense with the machine in front of me on the bench.

Have there been any hardware changes on the 400, or are they all mechanically identical. Only checking so that if there are differences, I can make sure I get the right parts for them. I have serial numbers on both.

One is basically complete but in need of a little TLC, it's clearly been experimented with, and without too much success, the tail belt is loose, there's a couple of other indications that it's been in the wars, I need to set the motor up correctly, it needs the tail boom stabilisers, they're missing, and I have grave doubts about the accuracy of the setup, but that's a case of checking it out before it goes in the air, but it's basically OK.

The radio is a 703, are there any issues with the 703 compared to the 706, as I understand it, the 703 has to have drivers installed for the simulator etc, (Not an issue), and the 703 doesn't have a couple of functions compared to the 706, but I am assuming that they're not needed for the 400 anyway.

The second one has no radio or Lipo, but came at very much the right price, and I may look at putting in a Turnigy Radio, as that's the radio of choice for some other projects that are coming up,

Having had chance to look more closely at them, I am impressed with the mechanical quality, and the overall appearance, they look good.

I'm going to give them both a good check over before I do anything too exciting with them, they will for sure be a good stepping stone to getting my friend's Bell 212 back into the air safely.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated

Thanks

Steve
Irish Steve is offline Find More Posts by Irish Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2011, 12:14 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Steve View Post
Hi Max, after your very helpful reply a couple of weeks back, I kept a close eye on the local E-bay site, and 2 Ninja 400's in varying states of repair arrived in the post this morning, and having had a quick look, I reckon there's not a lot to do to either of them to get them back in the air.

Several questions arise. I seem to recall that a larger battery than the 1100 Mah size is possible, any suggestions as to a larger size that is OK for the 400, the thought that went through my mind was that depending on the weight difference, it might be possible to move the tail rotor servo a little to assist with C of G issues if they arise. I am assuming that the C of G is basically on the mast, or very close to it, I've not yet read the manuals in depth, as I reckon they will make more sense with the machine in front of me on the bench.

Have there been any hardware changes on the 400, or are they all mechanically identical. Only checking so that if there are differences, I can make sure I get the right parts for them. I have serial numbers on both.

One is basically complete but in need of a little TLC, it's clearly been experimented with, and without too much success, the tail belt is loose, there's a couple of other indications that it's been in the wars, I need to set the motor up correctly, it needs the tail boom stabilisers, they're missing, and I have grave doubts about the accuracy of the setup, but that's a case of checking it out before it goes in the air, but it's basically OK.

The radio is a 703, are there any issues with the 703 compared to the 706, as I understand it, the 703 has to have drivers installed for the simulator etc, (Not an issue), and the 703 doesn't have a couple of functions compared to the 706, but I am assuming that they're not needed for the 400 anyway.

The second one has no radio or Lipo, but came at very much the right price, and I may look at putting in a Turnigy Radio, as that's the radio of choice for some other projects that are coming up,

Having had chance to look more closely at them, I am impressed with the mechanical quality, and the overall appearance, they look good.

I'm going to give them both a good check over before I do anything too exciting with them, they will for sure be a good stepping stone to getting my friend's Bell 212 back into the air safely.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated

Thanks

Steve
Thanks for the update. No have been no mechanical updates or changes to the Ninja 400. It is a sweet machine. I have only flown it with the 1100 mAh 11.1 volt battery so I am no help with the larger battery question. I would suspect that the CG will be greatly effected if you put a larger battery in the Ninja 400.

The sky 703 firmware will only work on 32 bit hardware; very difficult to get it to work with 64bit hardware. Might work with 32 bit windows on Win64 bit hardware but I doubt it. The sky 705 fixed that issue. The sky 706 has expo and dual rates

I think you will be very happy once you get the ninja 400 flying

Regards
Max
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 08, 2011, 03:56 AM
Ireland, Meath, Ashbourne
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
Thanks Max. Appreciate the very open nature of your reply, makes it a lot easier to decide how to proceed.

Happy that there are no updates to the hardware, I've found a few small issues, but nothing that will cause any showstoppers. Few bent bits on one of them, but no more than I was expecting given the low price they came in for, the cheaper of the 2, no radio TX/RX or Lipo came in to me for less than 20, so I wasn't expecting a lot, and of the 2, it's in better shape, the other one came in basically complete, but has a few bent and missing bits, and was still less than half the price of a new one.

Both of them have "issues" with the tail belt tension, and the meshing of the drive motor, so that's going to be looked at closely before too long, I can't tell if it's an assembly issue, transport issue, or crash issue yet.

Someone clearly sold a lot of them into the UK while the 703 was the radio with them, there's any number on E-bay at the moment, but almost all of them are 703 rather than 706, and if people haven't done their homework, they could get a nasty surprise down the way.

The C of G issue is for sure an issue with the battery packs, and there's nothing in the manual about checking where it is, I am guessing that's because it's basically RTF or ARF, so there's not much flexibility on where things go, or what's used. Looking at how far forward the pack is mounted, I even wonder if it could be a problem if the pack is not secured at the right position on the mounting plate, so I shall be making up a simple suspension hook for checking that out before I do too much. One thought is that if I put a larger battery in it, there is potential to get the C of G right by making a tail rotor protection plate from something heavier, and replacing the rather fragile looking plastic one that's there now. Another option would be to put ballast on the tail boom to get the C of G where it's meant to be. Will report on the success of the experiments.

703 will be fine for me, I have plenty of 32 bit hardware around the place, so I can get the sim running no problem. There was a USB cable with one of them, and Skayartec's downloads are better than some of the Chinese suppliers, which also helps.

More as it happens.
Irish Steve is offline Find More Posts by Irish Steve