Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 31, 2012, 09:54 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phily32 View Post
Stripped the undercarriage out today plus everything else i dont need and got the weight down to 7.5lbs thats better
now where did i put that bungee
How much did you take off?
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 10:36 AM
redcar cleveland uk
Joined Nov 2010
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
How much did you take off?
Its original weight was just over 8.5lbs i remmoved the lander retracts nose servo and the reinforced nose wheel mount supprised at how much it all weighed
phily32 is offline Find More Posts by phily32
Old May 31, 2012, 11:10 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,142 Posts
Quote:
Its original weight was just over 8.5lbs i remmoved the lander retracts nose servo and the reinforced nose wheel mount supprised at how much it all weighed
Good going... 1 lb off is not insignificant, those rclander retracts are more than 10oz.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old May 31, 2012, 03:16 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Don't forget the airframe can now be much cleaner non of those silly holes with wheels in causing drag.
Gaz-b is online now Find More Posts by Gaz-b
Old May 31, 2012, 03:53 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,017 Posts
I still haven't decided weather to go with wing fences or not. So Im going to use just one and put it on the right wing....no! the Left wing. Darn it...another decision
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
Old May 31, 2012, 03:59 PM
redcar cleveland uk
Joined Nov 2010
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b View Post
Don't forget the airframe can now be much cleaner non of those silly holes with wheels in causing drag.
I was thinking about making some skids or even dummy drop tanks which would attach to where the retract fitted,screwing them in place which would make them removable and covering the wheel wells. the point to protect the aileron controls?
Old May 31, 2012, 04:11 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,017 Posts
They come in 3 different sizes I believe...http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6998
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 04:23 PM
redcar cleveland uk
Joined Nov 2010
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
They come in 3 different sizes I believe...http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6998
Ye i was thinking about something like that but i was more concerned about the muck and grass stains plus its always raining here i suppose it would be losing its sleekness maybe a bit to much drag however i would only make them small
Old May 31, 2012, 05:08 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,017 Posts
I actualu have them...but I forgot to use them lol They are a very good Idea to prevent the grass or mud from grabbing the servo arm or having mud splash up into the servo bay. Because I didnt use them, Im just going to cut the dome off and glue it directly to the servo cover.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 05:40 PM
redcar cleveland uk
Joined Nov 2010
278 Posts
Quote:
I actualu have them...but I forgot to use them lol They are a very good Idea to prevent the grass or mud from grabbing the servo arm or having mud splash up into the servo bay. Because I didnt use them, Im just going to cut the dome off and glue it directly to the servo cover.
I,ll try and find something simular and do the same thing, Theres a LMA airshow on this weekend with a large trade section i might be able to pick something up
Old May 31, 2012, 05:48 PM
redcar cleveland uk
Joined Nov 2010
278 Posts
Gaz how far forward of the cg did you put the tow hook and how did you secure it/make it? any photos
Old May 31, 2012, 05:58 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Gaz how far forward of the cg did you put the tow hook and how did you secure it/make it? any photos
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=602
I think this post covers where you are at hook was 1/3 from CG or LE ? towards the nose.I use heavy duty horns as hooks they double as a skid.http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10409.
Old May 31, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,988 Posts
Quote:
I still haven't decided weather to go with wing fences or not. So Im going to use just one and put it on the right wing....no! the Left wing. Darn it...another decision
Hmmm---Still "on the fence" concerning the fences, eh????......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old May 31, 2012, 06:20 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,260 Posts
1/3 forward from CG to the nose.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:29 AM
Crash & Cry! Don't Fly
Australia
Joined Oct 2010
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
the mean time I will absorb as much data as possible and practice.
Hi Clive, Thanks a lot I received the CF tow yesterday. My wife asked me why I ordered hair ? Yes I'm bolding so I need some for my head, I told her.

On the weight issue. Yes the lighter the better.. everyone who flies RC planes knows that but you still need to have the right power set up and balance (CG). To get the right power to fly this Hawk then you will have to go over the suggest weight there is no other choice.
The heavier the plane, the faster it will have to fly to stay airborne. and the finer is the line between flying well and loosing air speed and control, and this Jet will drop like a brick. You cannot afford to lose speed so you need to speed up to compensate for the loss when pulling up, banking flying downwind ect and this is where it gets very tricky and risky if you not 100% focused or an EDF begginer.

Clive, I recommend you practice on a Simulator like phoenix and use a Jet like the Hawk, fly it all the way to the runway and try to land as fast possible without crashing. yes its not the real thing, but its the next best thing to smashing your Jets. This is how I practice and it really helps when I land my real EDFs.

Another way, buy a foamy Hawk, add weight gradully so it becomes unstable when you dont fly it full ball, then practice until you feel you are ready for this one.
Raptorfly is offline Find More Posts by Raptorfly