HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2012, 08:50 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,212 Posts
Got this plane on my radar as an upgrade from my slightly smaller Sapac Composite T-45 and I am noticing that you guys are builting this very heavy. Much more than the recommended 2.6-2.8Kg AUW.

The Sapac T-45 wing area is ~17.5dm2 vs the 24dm2 of this bird.

I fly mine on 1.7-1.8Kg AUW and it is super stable. Last weekend I tried a 100gr heavier battery and it started to become slightly challenging. Another 1-200gr and it would be a handfull.

I think most of the change in flying behaviour comes from the weight, too much control throws on elevator and ailerons and CoG too forward.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Mar 2010
112 Posts
Originally Posted by Samjet View Post
Mine did the same When I earlier posted my comments about this jet's unstable flight charateristics, nobody was listening. I wasted 600 $. I just wonder why it hasn't become a well known fact that the hawk is a piece of

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
Because....it isn't.
And you work for.......?
Samjet is offline Find More Posts by Samjet
Old May 29, 2012, 10:15 AM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Something I've noticed on a completely different airframe. I have a couple P3 F-16s. One is a real light set-up and it flies like a pussycat. Another has a heavier set-up and it flies so much more erratic. While we all know that the more weight for the same airframe increases the wing loading, it seems to me that the change is not linear. In other words, it doesn't fly just "heavier," but the increased weight changes the flying characteristics in fundamental ways. Reading the posts here, this seems to apply to the hawk. Thoughts?
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old May 29, 2012, 11:34 AM
redcar cleveland uk
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixxer View Post
I was thinking of these for my T45 and grass is all I have, did the strut break? Please keep me posted if bigger wheels helped
Hi hix i dont think i will be bothering with wheels as the power system i,am using is increasing the auw to around 8.5lbs, I,am thinking of removing as much weight as possible and bungeeing im even considering increasing the motor for a higher kv and using less cells i will decide after ive weighed it retract free and anthing else i can bin cheers.
phily32 is offline Find More Posts by phily32
Old May 29, 2012, 11:42 AM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
Quote:
Mine did the same When I earlier posted my comments about this jet's unstable flight charateristics, nobody was listening. I wasted 600 $. I just wonder why it hasn't become a well known fact that the hawk is a piece of

And you work for.......?
Hobbyking. He's Scott from Hobbyking. You know, the cheerful funny guy we usually see in the Hobbyking Daily Videos?
torque roll is offline Find More Posts by torque roll
Old May 29, 2012, 11:52 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandermh View Post
Something I've noticed on a completely different airframe. I have a couple P3 F-16s. One is a real light set-up and it flies like a pussycat. Another has a heavier set-up and it flies so much more erratic. While we all know that the more weight for the same airframe increases the wing loading, it seems to me that the change is not linear. In other words, it doesn't fly just "heavier," but the increased weight changes the flying characteristics in fundamental ways. Reading the posts here, this seems to apply to the hawk. Thoughts?
After 3 failed maidens,of a fiberglass warmliner(HTG Speedy), in exactly the same manner as most of the Hawk's stalls and spins, and after I mastered it on the slope without the motor running, I realised that with the heavier wingloading you need more air speed to provide level flight. Without a motor and on the slope, it needed 20mph of wind at least. At 18mph it could not fly.

When there is a strong tail wind, we may tend to reduce throttle because of the ground speed increase, the plane loses altitude and the unwary may tend to compensate with the elevator because the ground speed seems normal. If I had lots of elevator travel and used it, the the stall and spin would come abrubptly without warning with a tailwind.

With a headwind, there would be enought time to recover because of higher air speed which slows down the onset of the stall and the wing rocking left and right provides just enought warning.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old May 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Mar 2010
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torque roll View Post
Hobbyking. He's Scott from Hobbyking. You know, the cheerful funny guy we usually see in the Hobbyking Daily Videos?
Yes, That's my point.
Samjet is offline Find More Posts by Samjet
Old May 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
redcar cleveland uk
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
[QUOTE=anlucas

When there is a strong tail wind, we may tend to reduce throttle because of the ground speed increase, the plane loses altitude and the unwary may tend to compensate with the elevator because the ground speed seems normal. If I had lots of elevator travel and used it, the the stall and spin would come abrubptly without warning with a tailwind.

Hi i agree i can imagine that alot of these crashs are from the downwind runs to the final approach i always start with enough altitude reducing the throttle keeping the nose slightly down keeping a constant speed raising the nose is a killer. i see this mistakes all the time especially when people have moved on from foam models which will high alpha in to land these planes have to be flown in keeping a constant airspeed well that always works for me
Old May 29, 2012, 04:08 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,272 Posts
WOW it's amazing how the Chinese whispers work on these forums people seem to read what they want it flew great while I was looking at it stupidly I looked to make sure if I was clear of the runway.The weights given on the listing is not achievable mine built as light as poss less servos lighter tube no retracts very light motor fan combo and it was still over 2.6 KG without batts so with retracts would be well over the max listed 2.8 KG flying weight with batts is ay least .8 or so more.
Gaz-b is offline Find More Posts by Gaz-b
Old May 29, 2012, 04:23 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,035 Posts
Quote:

And you work for.......?
There are many MANY videos of the exact same model in different colors being flown at the hands of pilots with intermediate to expert experience. It is NOT a piece of .... My suggestion to you is...get more experience and learn to fly better.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
Old May 29, 2012, 04:31 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,035 Posts
[QUOTE=phily32;21744112][QUOTE=anlucas

Hi i agree i can imagine that alot of these crashs are from the downwind runs to the final approach i always start with enough altitude reducing the throttle keeping the nose slightly down keeping a constant speed raising the nose is a killer. i see this mistakes all the time especially when people have moved on from foam models which will high alpha in to land these planes have to be flown in keeping a constant airspeed well that always works for me[/QUOTE]

Spoken by someone that knows what their doing. Good advise Philly
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
Old May 29, 2012, 04:45 PM
redcar cleveland uk
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz-b View Post
WOW it's amazing how the Chinese whispers work on these forums people seem to read what they want it flew great while I was looking at it stupidly I looked to make sure if I was clear of the runway.The weights given on the listing is not achievable mine built as light as poss less servos lighter tube no retracts very light motor fan combo and it was still over 2.6 KG without batts so with retracts would be well over the max listed 2.8 KG flying weight with batts is ay least .8 or so more.
hi gaz sorry for the misunderstanding but i was,nt talking about your crash, just talking about flying these type of planes in genral.
p.s i think the only way to get the weight down is to fly it on 6s higher kv motor?even then i cant see been much lighter.
Old May 29, 2012, 04:52 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phily32 View Post
hi gaz sorry for the misunderstanding but i was,nt talking about your crash, just talking about flying these type of planes in genral.
p.s i think the only way to get the weight down is to fly it on 6s higher kv motor?even then i cant see been much lighter.
Higher volts less amps for the same watts this had a10s s 2250 60c pack in it.
Old May 29, 2012, 05:03 PM
redcar cleveland uk
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
2250mah packs, that would keep the weight down but what sort of flight times do u think you would have had?.Iam using 3850s didnt want to go any lower but also a higher kv motor will also reduce the flight times?.
p.s i.am also using a 1200kv motor
Last edited by phily32; May 29, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 05:12 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,272 Posts
That pack was not intended as the normal pack I was going to use 3300 s .On the maiden I wanted it as light as poss with the power to weight it had I don't think it would be consuming many amps. just looked up a test run 3.3 KW 90 A.