HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:25 AM
United States, TX, Palestine
Joined Oct 2007
90 Posts
Putting it all together... just testing the "idea" out. I still NEED to glue in some hardwood BETWEEN the wing spars to adequately support a TIGHT C.F spar fitting... then web the spars with lite-ply. (so much to do, yet)

I am building the center wing junction in sections.... then I'll cap it off with another rib#2 templated lite-ply rib. Wanna make sure I have enough "meat" to screw it all together in completed form.

Just about have all the main assy. put together now... just need to finish it all out... servo mounts in the wing, TRY to put together a "springy" landing gear system, on and on it goes!! I'll finish out the wing's center section tomorrow and get it bolted together and do a static lift "on the wing". (THAT section of the wing is CRITICAL for strength!!)

"DGCA..." (Dried Glue Chewers of America)
-Luz
luzwingnut is offline Find More Posts by luzwingnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:38 AM
Joined Oct 2007
90 Posts
Pop QUIZ!!!

Anyone know what the term is for "negative" DIHEDRAL?? (The A-7 Corsair has "negative dihedral" in its design.)

ANSWER: ANHEDRAL
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:16 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,862 Posts
Wasn't she married to Fred Hedral?
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:53 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Also has a sister name of Anne, but she's a bit droopy

Family pet is a parrot - Polly, of course.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:55 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
On a technical note, the 'real' J3, and subsequent Cub-ish variants, have very slight dihedral. Probably to stop 'Ann Hedral' looks creeping in

One of the best laser cut Super Cub kits, alas now defunct, had no dihedral and it stuck out like the proverbial hammer-struck opposable digit.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:07 AM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
She Is A Wonderful Flying Plane

Hello LZWNT,

Great build thread! I absolutely love this kit. The piper cub makes a wonderful addition to your hangar. I built my Carl Goldberg Anniversary Edition Piper Cub back in the 80's and then converted it to electric back in 2008. I have a couple of old youtube videos of me maidening the cub back in 2008 after the electric conversion if you want to view them. Let me know if you want me to post them on your thread or not or I can PM you the links. I don't want to hijack.
Here is my setup:

Motor: Scorpion Brushless Outrunner 3026-8 1212KV motor producing 1000 watts of power
Prop: 12" x 6" APC E
Speed Controller: Scorpion Commander 70 amp ESC
Batteries: 2 - 11.1V 4000 mah lipo 25C COPPER TAB HECELL that I paralleled together.

Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing your maiden!

Mike
tr6world is offline Find More Posts by tr6world
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:51 PM
Joined Oct 2007
90 Posts
Absolutely Mike!! Make yourself at home! Some vids. would be awesome. BTW... what was your AUW with the 6s set-up (3s X 2)? Great looking CUB, Mike!

Yesterday... well, I didn't do ANY building. Had to do some administratives. Today? Made alot of progress... but not too much building.

I am building a "Take apart" wing on this kit. My last update got a CF wing spar put in, BUT... I needed some "alignment" pegs forward and aft of the center wing panel CF spar build. So... I looked inside the box of wooden parts and made some alterations to accomplish this task.

Here's what I did (and it worked GREAT!!!):

(pics on my next replay... they tell the whole story)
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:42 PM
Joined Oct 2007
90 Posts
Forward wing alignment: I suppose I could call the design a "fork and tongue alignment system" since that's what it is. It is NOT designed for flight load bearing weights... that is what the C.F. spar is for, but it IS robust and very strong. I used super glue to harden the plywood forks and polished them with some light sandpaper. I get a 100% "lock" with this and the alignment keeps the designed dihedral angle PERFECT!! I'll be using a simple dowel rod in the aft part of the wing rib for alignment to the center wing panel.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:50 PM
Joined Oct 2007
90 Posts
"Ann and Fred" Hedral??" Glad everyone is HAVING some fun, here!! Thanks everyone.
-luz
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:00 PM
Joined Oct 2007
90 Posts
Tomorrow... I'll finish the center wing panel build and get the wing bolted together and finish the planking. Still deciding IF... I want to do an aileron "build-up" instead of using the aileron balsa stock. (Flaps may still happen... who knows) IF I DO... the built-up ailerons, I'll be doing barndoor flaps.... even IF they aren't scale "J3".

What would you all like to see done? Machine gun pods and rocket launchers aren't scale impliments for a CUB!!!

The Piper Cub IS quite popular, though... anyone know IF a "gyro-cub" has ever been built before? THAT would be interesting!!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 01:18 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzwingnut View Post
"Ann and Fred" Hedral??" Glad everyone is HAVING some fun, here!! Thanks everyone.
-luz
Don't forget their daughter Diane. But they just call her Di for short.

Great looking build. Following it with interest.

Larry
Old Nov 12, 2011, 03:02 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,315 Posts
Don't worry about the weight and everybody overpowers the J3. I learned to fly on the J3 60 years ago and bought the Berkley J3 kit in 1956. It was my first "Giant Scale" with a wingspan of about 72 inches. I believe Sig bought the rights for the Berkley kit when Berkley went out of business. The plans specifed a 15 but I overpowered mine with an Enya 19 and it wouldn't come down at idle. I had to wait unti the engine quit to land. It flew at scale speed even at idle. Almost all J3 models that I have seen fly far too fast and zipped around the sky at P51 speeds. The real J3 couldn't fly inverted without folding the wings. One advantage of heavy construction is being able to fly in the wind instead of haveing to wait for a calm day.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Nov 12, 2011, 08:32 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
'Best' J3 I had the misfortune to watch was bought by one of the Grande Iams of a big DC area EC club. His MO was to buy huge models, sell them soon after to the club's more affluent model buyers - and then still get to fly the, as the new owners couldn't.

Nice trick, if you can pull it off...

This 'model' - around 100" span - was usually seen in a hover atop a heck of a racket.

Different tack - was the clipwing J3 inverted capable? It's wing struttery is somewhat different and heftier than the regular span aircaft.

D
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:21 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,862 Posts
I would think that a bigger concern when flying a full size Cub inverted would be the oil system of the engine. It takes a special oil system to properly lube the engine during sustained inverted flight.

Larry