SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2011, 03:59 AM
United States, TX, Palestine
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
Build Log
Carl Goldberg Piper Cub BUILD!

An old friend of mine had this laying around in his hanger and thought I'd enjoy building it. (It's the "Anniversary" model... kit no. 63). You know how it goes, silverfish ATE the decal sheet glue, BUT... the plans were still in descent shape, and all the "parts" are still in the kit. I'll post pictures as I go and TRY to detail as much as possible of, "THE BUILD!!" Originally, the kit was designed for a fuel set-up ( .40- .61 two cycle), HOWEVER... I've got a few electric gizmos laying around, so I thought I'd convert it to an electric. The Piper Cub is advertised to weigh about 7.5 lbs (120 oz.???) and I'll be doing the "long wing" version WITH flaps (my own inspiration). Also, I plan to go with a white base and red stripe sceme, instead of the "usual" CUB yellow format. (I hate how the white "seams" always show through on a finished model... so I may re-consider a different base color.)

My VERY First R/C aircraft was the "Sig Super Cub" which was powered by a "Tigre .61"... she flew wonderfully until a control linkage "popped", and that was the end of that. The crash made a heart wrenching "C R U N C H!!!" sound as she barreled into the asphalt. It happens.

I'll do my VERY best to provide comments, pictures, and flight performances as things develope.

( 2.4 radio set-up; Rimfire 50-55-500; Castle Pheonix 80; and possibly a 6s 5000 mAh for power... quite possibly a GREAT "overkill" for batt. power... we'll see how it balances out, besides... I've got it on hand) -LZWNT
luzwingnut is online now Find More Posts by luzwingnut
Last edited by luzwingnut; Nov 07, 2011 at 04:36 AM. Reason: change the title
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:23 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
I built several CG Cubs over the years, soloed on one also. Been looking to convert one to e-power myself.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:02 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,763 Posts
I still have my original Goldberg in my garage. I usually put the date of completion inside my planes but this one doesn't have it. Must be at least 18 years old. Full span with a Super Tiger .46. It's really heavy. It exceeded my digital scale. A great flyer but I wouldn't contemplate electric without seriously figuring out how to lighten it up. I have the original decal sheet never used.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:02 PM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
Hello all.... This guy did a very nice job with his conversion. (He's also got a flight video attached.)

Carl Goldberg Piper Cub by **NEON** on rc groups.

Thought I'd try to post a few pics of the build. (The "tail feathers" were already completed when I recieved the kit.) The fuselage REALLY came together QUICKLY!! I deviated from the instructions a few times... call it "the maverick" in me. (Control push rods were changed).

Still working out the details on how to do a battery hatch and engineer (guesstimate), where to put everything.

The landing gear assembly seems abit weak for my taste... so I'll be "beefing" it up a little... basically, installing an interior chunkier hardwood block where the landing gear bisects the under belly.

This IS a F U N little kit! I'll be doing the main wing next WITH build-up pics. Gonna experiment with the wing struts so they will be "removable" with a quick release device. (They ARE NOT load bearing, anyway). Also, I am DEFINATELY going to install flaps... as heavy as she'll be... it'll be nice to slow down her approaches and help with lift-offs.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:46 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
I have one NIB, I won at a club contest. It's still NIB because of the weight issue. I'm still deciding whether I'll build it or not... Watching to see how this one turns out.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Nov 08, 2011, 10:35 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
One - Cubs all seem to fly well.

Two - kits make great sets of templates for a lightweight build!

Luz - put the pilot's fold-down door in, and plan on leaving the fold- up window off. Did that on both my Sig Cubs - in 1/5 and 1/6 - and it made for easy battery access.

Wish I had space for another Sig 1/5th!

Good luck with your electrocution

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 08, 2011, 10:42 AM
Serenity Now!
O'Fallon, MO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,329 Posts
Boy this brings back memories.

I remember getting the CG Cub when it first came out in the mid-80's. It was a great kit. I have since built several over the years. The best was one that had a clipped wing and modded to look like a Super Cub. Most fun was flying it on skis in the winter.

Flaps will probably be superfluous since the CG Cub is a floater.

Good luck with your build.
jbrundt is offline Find More Posts by jbrundt
Old Nov 08, 2011, 11:50 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,230 Posts
I still have my Goldberg Cub, with Saito .65 power, that I built twenty years ago. I did some mods to "improve" the looks, like a scale stringer down the fuselage sides and another on the top rear of the fuse. I made the ailerons scale, instead of the semi-strip type. The landing gear is more like a real Cub's, and so is the struttery behind the windshield. I made mounting points for scale wing struts, but did not install struts.

Scale Dubro wheels and tail-wheel topped (or bottomed) it off.

Weight came in at 7.5 lb., but the Saito handled it without too much complaint.

Jim R...
...who does plenty of other kinds of complaining...
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Nov 08, 2011, 01:51 PM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
I was browsing through alot of forums last night and "discovered" Eflights Sport Cub 25! (60" w.s.) REALLY NICE!! Many "scale-like" attractions on that plane! On the flight demo, though, it "appeared" that it needed alot of rudder OR it was flown abit under-powered. I don't know, it looked like it had a wig-wag on several low speed fly-overs. (Sort of like a REAL duck when it is coming in for a landing and how they dip and roll.)

I grabbed my "brick" Thunder Power (V2) 6s 5000 25C and started doing some planning on its install. (I've got a 6s 5000 65C, also, for one of my e- jets). It'll be a "heavy" plane, I'm sure... but I know what this kind of set-up means in REAL power. (a 5s system would be quite "good-enough"... but I don't have a 5s). An "ACTUAL" bungee'd landing gear would be the way to go... so I'm looking through my shop to find the necessary hardware for that. (The eFlight 25 gave me the idea.) I'm REALLY worried ab the stock gear system of "breaking through" OR... the "ground hoping" a stock gear always gives to an airplane.

rcav8r2- the Goldberg Cub goes together VERY fast. I had the fuselage "in the bones" in a mere 2 hours! It's basically "snap and plug", align everything, then glue you fingers together. I was concerned ab the weight also... but I found that the general oppinion was: "Build it like the plans say (on this model)... put in your power system, and fly-it!"

Dereck- I really liked you idea ab leaving the window open. THAT would be an awesome way of getting some airflow into the cabin for cooling the battery/ ESC. The door arrangement will take some engineering, as this model has a HUGE lightening hole RIGHT AT THAT spot.

jbrundt- I LOVE FLAPS!! hahahaha (they look impressive in a ground static display) I'm gunning for a "floater"... 76.5" is alot of airfoil. Thanks!!

Jim R- Put up some pics!! Your description of your bird sounds "Scha-Weet"!!! Using "scale" ailerons... did you have enough roll authority? (I'd LOVE to do a "scale" wing... but, I was NOT sure ab having enough aileron).

Thanks EVERYONE!! Gotta clear out a spot in the shop to start my wing build, now. Before I do my coverings... I want to get it completed "in the bones" for PICTURES sake.
(need to order a sufficient motor, also)
Old Nov 08, 2011, 02:01 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzwingnut View Post

rcav8r2- the Goldberg Cub goes together VERY fast. I had the fuselage "in the bones" in a mere 2 hours! It's basically "snap and plug", align everything, then glue you fingers together. I was concerned ab the weight also... but I found that the general oppinion was: "Build it like the plans say (on this model)... put in your power system, and fly-it!"
Oh, I'm sure it will go together easy enough ;-) It's just that if it is a brick, it will take up valuable storage space as it won't get flown much. I thought about going the route Dereck mentioned... make my own kit from the plans... I'm fairly certain I could knock out a good 35-40-% of the weight. Just not sure I will have the time for it as I have enough irons in the fire now.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 02:05 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,472 Posts
Quote:
On the flight demo, though, it "appeared" that it needed alot of rudder OR it was flown abit under-powered
That's how you fly a Cub! If your right hand is busier than your left hand, you ain't flying it right! And as for being underpowered, remember that the full size J-3 originally came with a 40hp engine. Most flew with 65hp engines, and the PA-18 Super Cubs are "Hot Rods" with 150hp.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Nov 08, 2011, 02:07 PM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
Just a note... my kit is ab 20 years old. (The top of the box has long since disappeared.)

The fuselage is built using lite pre-cut lite ply. Over the years, the lite ply developed some warping and this was an "initial" concern before I started the build. I "figured" that once everything was in place... the warpage would be corrected. This proved to be "TRUE!" -LUZ
Old Nov 08, 2011, 02:13 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Over the years, the lite ply developed some warping and this was an "initial" concern before I started the build. I "figured" that once everything was in place... the warpage would be corrected. This proved to be "TRUE!" -LUZ
No LitePLy comes pre-warped even when new And yes, as you saw it will build a true fuse... I just don't like it. IMO Too heavy for it's strength.. and it is somewhat brittle
Old Nov 08, 2011, 02:17 PM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
That's how you fly a Cub! If your right hand is busier than your left hand, you ain't flying it right! And as for being underpowered, remember that the full size J-3 originally came with a 40hp engine. Most flew with 65hp engines, and the PA-18 Super Cubs are "Hot Rods" with 150hp.
WOW!! Yes! I had forgotten ab that. You know that you completely commited in a project when you start looking around at the "REAL" McCoy!! (and NOT just for "scaling ideas".) A real J3 Cub starts at $25,000... not counting fuel, hangering, insurance, maintenance... or the thought, "That's My AIRPLANE!"

I soloed my first C-150 many years ago... and how "Biblical" it was. "Let NOT thy right hand knoweth what your left hand is doing." Of course, the rudder pedals were getting a fair work-out also! What an AWEESOME experience THAT was!! Just sayin'....