HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2011, 03:26 AM
Joined Nov 2011
45 Posts
Help!
power to weight ratio of vtol

Can any one explain to me why the martin jetpack need 200 HP to lift a 535lbs, but the Sikorsky Cypher with a 50 HP wankel rotary engine can lift 340 lb more then half of what the martin jetpack can with just 1/4 the horsepower ?
kingofking1 is offline Find More Posts by kingofking1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:07 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
That's a design thing and power transmission, not power to weight.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:13 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofking1 View Post
Can any one explain to me why the martin jetpack need 200 HP to lift a 535lbs, but the Sikorsky Cypher with a 50 HP wankel rotary engine can lift 340 lb more then half of what the martin jetpack can with just 1/4 the horsepower ?
It is about disk loading. A helicopter has a large disk swept out by the rotor blades. Low disk loadings give increased thrust for the same power. The jet pack has a very high disk loading and is inefficient for static thrust, but it would be good for high speed propulsion.

There is a good graphic in this disk loading link showing the relationship between disk loading and lift efficiency
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Nov 07, 2011, 04:52 PM
Joined Nov 2011
45 Posts
disk loading

can any one explain disk loading
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:04 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
LF, thanks for that. I wonder if what I said even relates.

From Wiki:
In fluid dynamics, disk loading or disc loading is the average pressure change across an actuator disk, such as an airscrew. Airscrews with a relatively low disk loading are typically called rotors, including helicopter main rotors and tail rotors; propellers typically have a higher disk loading.[1] The V-22 Osprey tiltrotor aircraft has a high disk loading relative to a helicopter in the hover mode, but a relatively low disk loading in fixed-wing mode compared to a turboprop aircraft.[2]
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Nov 08, 2011, 01:04 AM
Washington
Joined Aug 2009
153 Posts
For "back of the envelope" design purposes, this equation derived from momentum theory is handy:

Thrust = 13*(Power*Efficiency*Diameter)^(2/3)

Units:
Thrust [lb]
Power [shaft HP]
Efficiency from 0 to 1 -- typically 0.5 to 0.8 for rotors and props. (This is efficiency of the disc converting power to thrust -- not the same as efficiency during forward flight)
Diameter -- of prop or rotor disc in [ft]

All you have to do is make a handy dandy spreadsheet with different numbers plugged in for different configurations to see just how important disc loading is to minimizing power required (and fuel flow).
Illini_Rob is offline Find More Posts by Illini_Rob
Old Nov 08, 2011, 03:50 PM
Joined Nov 2011
45 Posts
so rotor blades are more efficient then prop for lift thing but prop are more efficient for high speed