SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:11 PM
Joined Apr 2009
12 Posts
Discussion
Setting up an MXC

I am just finishing my new MXC.
Well it will be finished when a replacment wing arrives, I had one wing damaged in shipment from the USA.
Reading Dean Gradwell's very good thread on the MXC, there appears to have been some discussion as to the CG position and the position of the hook.

Can someone please tell me the preferred position of the CG for the fuz only, (ie tailplanes and nosecone fitted, but without the wings), and also the preferred position for the plane ready to fly.
I assume the position of the hook should be approx 1/2 an inch in front of the cg, is this correct?

Regards
Ross Biggar
Auckland New Zealand
ASG29 is offline Find More Posts by ASG29
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 02:55 PM
Joined Oct 2004
599 Posts
Ross,

Towhook 10 1/2" aft of nosecone mold line. This has worked well on last four that I have built. Not vertical after launch but you can rotate more with elevator. This is a large heavy glider so a bit of airspeed at first is welcome.

My CG is 5 1/4" aft of wing leading edge at root.

Build for s/n 5 will be coming soon along with glider box information.

Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is offline Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:46 AM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Dean - Can't wait for your updates on #5 - I'm awaiting your enlightenment
On that note - I'm still contimplating RDS - however the stiffness of the live hinge seemingly precludes this.
Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!

regards,

Jack
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v