HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:32 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Will Miss 2 handle a Astro 020 W/planetary and 40oz of thrust?

I sure hope so since I just ordered one! Still looking for possible photo planes and something that will catch a thermal or two! Should the wings be strenghtened? Anybody flying one with this much power???
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:37 AM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
Miss-2 and Power

I have had a Miss-2 for about two years, and it has a speed 400 with the 2:33:1 gearbox supplied then, running kans950's prop simprop 9x5. With this setup it is a very good flyer, however, I would think that the extra power would be fine, with one exception. I have had the wings fold on two occasions, when pulling out of the bottom of a loop...Thus I would suggest that you look into addtional supports were the wings are joined..I ended up placing 2 carbon fiber arrow shafts 1/4" about 8" long between the wing joints for additional support..

Also, I did remember a review here by Steve Horney on a Phasor 30-x? power upgrade.. Do a search on his name and I am sure you will find the review, article.

By the way, this is a very nice airplane...Even tho my wings folded twice,(before carbon reinforcement) and went in from about 75-80 feet, repair was simple and straight forward, and I was supprized at how little damage occured. I have a razor 2500-a for an upgrade to the power plant
planned, it is currently in a trident foamie.

Bobflyer...
BobFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BobFlyer
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:53 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,600 Posts
I have the Hummel (Same basic plane but version solid by Multiplex with dihedral instead of polyhedral.) and have it powered with an Astroflight 020 with the super gearbox on it and it climbs and flys level at full throttle. I don't dive it at full throttle (What's the point?) It flies great and often thermals with the motor off. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2003, 01:44 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Thanks everyone! I might do a ply dihedral brace for the center joint for insurance and probably tape some dark color under the wings to aid in specking out visibility!
boomer
Old Sep 24, 2003, 06:40 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,600 Posts
Good Idea Boomerace. That extra dihedral support might come in handy. Think about some sparkle tape for the leading edge if you really plan to sky out.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:03 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Heer
Good Idea Boomerace. That extra dihedral support might come in handy. Think about some sparkle tape for the leading edge if you really plan to sky out.
Good Idea!!
Thanks Mike!
boomer
Old Sep 25, 2003, 08:08 AM
Retired, but not tired
Live Oak, Florida
Joined Oct 2001
209 Posts
Boomer,

I put a hot speed 500 geared 2.8-1 in mine, 11x7 apc prop, and fiberglassed the wing joint. No problems pulling out of high-speed dives!

AOW 44 oz, with camera and high output 1000mah battery pack.

Miss-2 is a very versatile platform. Mine STILL glides well, even with the high weight.

Fiberglass that wing joint!

Jamie
Reformed Slimer is offline Find More Posts by Reformed Slimer