HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:39 AM
Joined Oct 2011
93 Posts
Discussion
First Quad, how easy are they to fly?

Looking at learning to pilot a gaui 500x or similar, I need something big enough to shoot with a DSLR. What would you recommend for a bigginer? Obviously I'm thinking first of all to get something smaller just to get used to flying a quad, any feed back would be good.
Kr1st1an is offline Find More Posts by Kr1st1an
Last edited by Kr1st1an; Nov 10, 2011 at 01:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:17 AM
Joined Oct 2011
93 Posts
Also looking at the AeroSim RC Flight Simulator, would you recomend this first before I purchase a quad?
Last edited by Kr1st1an; Nov 12, 2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
If you're new to rc I would definately recommend a good flight sim like aerosimrc. Way back in the day I taught myself to fly rc on a Dave Brown simulator.
I have both the aerosim and phoenix. For quads the aerosim is the best. The graphics aren't as good as phoenix but you have lots more to choose from in the way of quads and hexes.
The fpv training is also non existant in phoenix.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:19 AM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
I'd start with a sim and then build either a KK or multiwiicopter. This will get you off to a good start with a modest outlay. Buy the right components and you can reuse them on a larger copter when you feel you're ready. Count on having to learn to fly fpv, my experience is that copters are are much more difficult to control at a distance than an airplane.
Matthew
Duck! is offline Find More Posts by Duck!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:44 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
I wanted to get flying asap, was considering the multi-wii but I wanted to be flying not building and programming etc, so I ended up picking up a Gaui 330X-s. I read a lot about it and knew it has its detractors, but decided to get one anyway. It was a good decision, I found it relatively easy to fly right out of the box, given the only heli experience I had was a micro Blade Tandem Rescue, and very little at that.

It won't carry a DSLR mind you, but it will get you flying. I bought a VC-450 frame for mine to move the Gaui gear to for more stability, then decided to just build another quad and also ordered the advanced Quadrino board and motors from hoverthings.com, not sure what it's payload is, but I suppose I could put large enough motors on it eventually if I wanted to carry a DSLR..

You can see how a quad like this flies for a noob like me here on my youtube channel, look for my Gaui videos.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Nov 12, 2011, 01:57 AM
Joined Oct 2011
93 Posts
Glenstr, Duck!, Randall1959 Thanks,
So much info and lots to think about, I've decided to get a sim first and then build something but something I can use the bits for when I go bigger. What Radio do yo recommend for the sim? I could do with something that I could also use for my first helli.
FPV looks awesome, I didn't even know you could do this. Where do you get those glasses from and how much are they? This something I have to get in to, can't wait to learn to fly.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 02:18 AM
Joined Oct 2011
93 Posts
Thanks Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck! View Post
I'd start with a sim and then build either a KK or multiwiicopter. This will get you off to a good start with a modest outlay. Buy the right components and you can reuse them on a larger copter when you feel you're ready. Count on having to learn to fly fpv, my experience is that copters are are much more difficult to control at a distance than an airplane.
Matthew
What components would you recommend for me to re use on a larger copter when I'm ready? I'm just looking at KK & Multiwiicopter now.

Cheers
Kristian
Old Nov 12, 2011, 08:12 AM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr1st1an View Post
What components would you recommend for me to re use on a larger copter when I'm ready? I'm just looking at KK & Multiwiicopter now.

Cheers
Kristian
It all depends on what you want to do, is it for fun or business? Is your budget high or low? I personally have had lots of fun with my tricopters/quad, both building, learning to fly and finally putting my GoPro aboard. DSLR's are for people with more money than me. Results from compacts are good enough for most I would think.

There are a lot more people on here that know much more than I do but this my advice based on my somewhat limited experience.I am thinking mostly of the esc's, the motors and perhaps also the batteries.

You should be looking at motors that provide about 200W of power each, 750 -1000kV appx. for your quad if you are certain you want to haul your dslr aloft. I would go for Turnigy plush esc's, 40 amps or so, capable of 3-5S. Batteries maybe around 3000 - 4000mAh, 30C or more, for when you are ready to fly your dslr. You may have to use 4S for such a heavy quad, check out setups used by people flying heavy aircraft, I am more than happy with my gopro aboard!

The fpv equipment is available from numerous suppliers, amongst them HobbyKing. In fact, I tried my fatshark goggles today with my quad for the first time. Interesting experience! Difficult, but not impossible, I think. Ask in the fpv forum for recomendations.

I like the multiwii's capability to self level (with the right components installed), I reckon this could save a lot of money when that video signal suddenly disappears! I gather GPS is possible also, with a return home option at reasonable prices.

For Ap now I use my tricopter with 120W motors (Nippy Black from Uberall Model), 3S 2300mAh batteries, 40 amp Turnigy Plush esc's. It happily hauls my gopro aloft and provides about 4-5 minutes of flight time depending on what you do throttlewise. Here's a little video from my first AP's with my tri, took it on holiday to Cyprus:

http://youtu.be/rfiqO9j6yw4

I now have a Multiwii on board, it flies even better than the KK I had in Cyprus.
Quads are less hassle as they have no servo's, so I am building one for AP at the moment. I also have a small one just built with less gyro stabilisation for fun.
Have fun,
Matthew
Duck! is offline Find More Posts by Duck!
Last edited by Duck!; Nov 12, 2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Personally I'm fond of my DX7. It has 20 model memory and will fly just about anything. The programming is pretty simple and mine works great with my aerosim.
Aerosim has several quads and hexes to choose from so you can get an idea how they all look in the air.
When I got into rc twenty years ago, my instructor told me to forget rc as I'd never learn.
Well thanks to the Dave Brown flight sim and a long winter, I was able to learn enough to fly that I could solo on my first attempt the next spring.
I still like using a sim to keep sharp and try new stunts.
Lately I purchased my first CP heli after doing a lot of practice on my Phoenix Sim.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:31 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Nice video Matthew - I am too chicken to venture out over water yet, I still have too many dumb-thumb moments..

Kr1st1an - if you really are intent on carrying a DSLR you may want to check out this thread - Mike (Power) does a LOT of aerial DSLR shooting and built this tricopter with a very innovative idea. He does all his own designs and they are very well done.

I fly one of his airplane designs for aerial video and photography, it's designed to carry a DSLR aloft but I use it for my GoPro and Contour (both at the same time)
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
93 Posts
It's for business with fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck! View Post
It all depends on what you want to do, is it for fun or business? Is your budget high or low? I personally have had lots of fun with my tricopters/quad, both building, learning to fly and finally putting my GoPro aboard. DSLR's are for people with more money than me. Results from compacts are good enough for most I would think.

There are a lot more people on here that know much more than I do but this my advice based on my somewhat limited experience.I am thinking mostly of the esc's, the motors and perhaps also the batteries.

You should be looking at motors that provide about 200W of power each, 750 -1000kV appx. for your quad if you are certain you want to haul your dslr aloft. I would go for Turnigy plush esc's, 40 amps or so, capable of 3-5S. Batteries maybe around 3000 - 4000mAh, 30C or more, for when you are ready to fly your dslr. You may have to use 4S for such a heavy quad, check out setups used by people flying heavy aircraft, I am more than happy with my gopro aboard!

The fpv equipment is available from numerous suppliers, amongst them HobbyKing. In fact, I tried my fatshark goggles today with my quad for the first time. Interesting experience! Difficult, but not impossible, I think. Ask in the fpv forum for recomendations.

I like the multiwii's capability to self level (with the right components installed), I reckon this could save a lot of money when that video signal suddenly disappears! I gather GPS is possible also, with a return home option at reasonable prices.

For Ap now I use my tricopter with 120W motors (Nippy Black from Uberall Model), 3S 2300mAh batteries, 40 amp Turnigy Plush esc's. It happily hauls my gopro aloft and provides about 4-5 minutes of flight time depending on what you do throttlewise. Here's a little video from my first AP's with my tri, took it on holiday to Cyprus:

http://youtu.be/rfiqO9j6yw4

I now have a Multiwii on board, it flies even better than the KK I had in Cyprus.
Quads are less hassle as they have no servo's, so I am building one for AP at the moment. I also have a small one just built with less gyro stabilisation for fun.
Have fun,
Matthew
Thanks, It's for business, shooting direct down SLR for www.floorink.com
Budget low first to get going and crash a lot and then higher when I'm piloting well.
Cheers for the reply and thanks for the info.
I'll check out your link.

Cheers,

Kristian
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Nice video Matthew - I am too chicken to venture out over water yet, I still have too many dumb-thumb moments..

Kr1st1an - if you really are intent on carrying a DSLR you may want to check out this thread - Mike (Power) does a LOT of aerial DSLR shooting and built this tricopter with a very innovative idea. He does all his own designs and they are very well done.

I fly one of his airplane designs for aerial video and photography, it's designed to carry a DSLR aloft but I use it for my GoPro and Contour (both at the same time)
Lol, I think I'll be like that for a long time.
Checked out Mikes gear, great idea, I just need to tweak the SLR to shoot down & I've cracked it.

Thanks,

Kristian
Old Nov 12, 2011, 01:00 PM
Joined Oct 2011
93 Posts
Sim

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
Personally I'm fond of my DX7. It has 20 model memory and will fly just about anything. The programming is pretty simple and mine works great with my aerosim.
Aerosim has several quads and hexes to choose from so you can get an idea how they all look in the air.
When I got into rc twenty years ago, my instructor told me to forget rc as I'd never learn.
Well thanks to the Dave Brown flight sim and a long winter, I was able to learn enough to fly that I could solo on my first attempt the next spring.
I still like using a sim to keep sharp and try new stunts.
Lately I purchased my first CP heli after doing a lot of practice on my Phoenix Sim.
Yeah, A sim looks like the way forward, AeroSim RC looks like it will be perfect, I'm ordering it tomorrow, can't wait to get going now, http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...opter-airframe looks like a good starting rig though

Thanks,
Kristian
Old Nov 12, 2011, 01:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
http://www.gothelirc.com/shopdisplay...t=Y%2DUFO+Kits
Check out the gotheli quad frame. Looks like the one you picked is out of stock.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 02:14 AM
Joined Oct 2011
93 Posts
Yeah, Well spotted. The first 2 budget frames that multiwii sell are both out of stock, I was going to mail them tonight. Cheers for the link though they look good.
Kristian