HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:20 AM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Build Log
Micro FPV Quad "Quadrixette FPV-frame"

Found this frame on Openpilot Forums and liked it so I ordered it about 2 weeks ago. Drilling the arms was easy, I just used a handvice and masking tape to hold the provided templates to the pre-cut arms. 7.6" Motor to Motor...

http://www.eyefly.info/

Check out the videos... Real cool what a small FPV platform can do!

Quadrixette Nano - New frame for Open Copter Control (1 min 51 sec)

Quadrixette Nano - First flight outside (3 min 37 sec)

Project Nanocopter - now with FPV (4 min 53 sec)

Mine in mockup:

WDR6000

LOL @ my old video transmitter.

Price: $59.12 not shipped.

Black or white. I need to paint mine. This is just mockup. I used a 1/8 drill bit and 1/4 drill bit on the motor mount screws on the bottom for easy access to the screws. 1/4 is cutting it close. I wish I had ordered for a metric drill bit set.

Motors: A1510 2200KV
Props: GWS 5x3x3
Battery: 3s 20c 1000mah

Frame + Props = 137g

Very rigid frame and I love the multiple battery setups, camera mounts, and the fact that this frame was built specifically for opencopter. Opencopter gives me a lot more confidence than any other FC I've tried so this little rig will be a riot for FPV.

Just need to find a micro FPV setup 1.3ghz I'm thinking. I might switch out some of the hardware for Nylon.

My WDR600 will not fit unless I mounted it on the front, besides I'm sure I can find a smaller equally decent cam by now. I need a small 1.3ghz transmitter.

Got it all mocked up tonight and figured I'd share. I frequently find my 450mm quad getting in situations where I don't feel comfortable, but with a quad this size it'll be a riot.

Any ideas on micro FPV hardware? I will try and get this thing flying tomorrow.

I dub thee "Window Creeper!"
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
no one working with micro fpv gear/cameras?
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:52 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
hi daign, nice looking micro! maybe this site may have what you need? looking at a few things on it myself!

http://fpvhobby.com/sitemap.php

edit: love the name "window creeper"
nasgul is offline Find More Posts by nasgul
Last edited by nasgul; Nov 06, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:22 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
no one working with micro fpv gear/cameras?
I have played with this on several micro quads and it works surprisingly well for such a compact package. I use a separate lipo to power it but you could also pull power from an unused servo/motor connection.

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...cat=278&page=1
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
love it ed! what's the quality like? definitely looks good, and light too!
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:55 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasgul View Post
love it ed! what's the quality like? definitely looks good, and light too!
It depends on what your expectations are. It has a 55 degree FOV and a relative low res camera. It is not like using my GoPro with a 600mW transmitter but for fun flying with a micro quad there are few alternatives. Great for buzzing around the house in the winter or the backyard.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:01 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
if it's like my camphone (nokia 5800) which is not great but good enough, then i'm sold, lol. only short range, but wouldn't go any further than 70 metres with it anyway.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:22 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I have played with this on several micro quads and it works surprisingly well for such a compact package. I use a separate lipo to power it but you could also pull power from an unused servo/motor connection.

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...cat=278&page=1
wow thats a tiny sucker! 5.8ghz is rough here in los angeles though. I need to measure and look around. The quality of the smaller lenses is rather dismal compared to the WDR600 but weight is an enemy so thats out. Small transmitters up to 200mw are readily available and pretty small. I'm going to step up to a diversity setup with RSSI as well.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:25 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
It depends on what your expectations are. It has a 55 degree FOV and a relative low res camera. It is not like using my GoPro with a 600mW transmitter but for fun flying with a micro quad there are few alternatives. Great for buzzing around the house in the winter or the backyard.
I plan on some urban FPV so going to need wider FOV and more power me thinks.

I picked up 450 landing gear today. This things going to be fun.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 07:41 AM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
certainly looks the part daign, frame looks very well made! and it's size will mean fpv in tight places
really want to get into this fpv thing myself, so keep us posted on your progress with your mini!
arron
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:27 AM
Sees Dragons in the Clouds
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
Congrats Daign!

I picked up one of the larger versions and modified it for 10" props. Managed to shoehorn a DJI Wookong onto it and it's flying great! Very well engineered, loving this frame.

Here's the maiden flight with the gopro attached:

Wookong_Palmer Park.mov (5 min 29 sec)

-Kyo
Kyodai is offline Find More Posts by Kyodai
Old Nov 08, 2011, 01:56 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
wow thats a serious FC. Are you running one of his larger frames? I assume so because with 5x3 the propeller tips almost touch.

Nice!
Old Nov 08, 2011, 02:05 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Ordered a 1.3ghz T313 300mw Transmitter

3x Mini Lost R/C Aircraft/Helicopter Alarm for all my quads....

For the Camera I chose the 8gram XM 495....

Footage from the Cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uACxqyOHLK4

The night flight quality are amazing. This sure is going to be fun.

34" Assassin FPV Maiden Flight / Night Flight - FPV Camera View (5 min 29 sec)
Old Nov 08, 2011, 12:55 PM
Sees Dragons in the Clouds
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
wow thats a serious FC. Are you running one of his larger frames? I assume so because with 5x3 the propeller tips almost touch.
Yup, I'm running the 30cm version, but modified with longer arms and motor mounts from Jakub. I needed something very light and simple, but with swept fron arms. The video was taken with Graupner 10x5 props, but I've since moved to GWS 9x5x3 props, and they don't show up in the video anymore

I am definitely picking up one of the Nano sized ones, however. Can't let you have all the fun urban FPV'ing!

--Kyo
Kyodai is offline Find More Posts by Kyodai
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:24 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyodai View Post
Yup, I'm running the 30cm version, but modified with longer arms and motor mounts from Jakub. I needed something very light and simple, but with swept fron arms. The video was taken with Graupner 10x5 props, but I've since moved to GWS 9x5x3 props, and they don't show up in the video anymore

I am definitely picking up one of the Nano sized ones, however. Can't let you have all the fun urban FPV'ing!

--Kyo
Man I can't believe that FC how amazing it flies, even compared with CC, I just will never justify the cost.

Glad you changed props, the larger props defeat the purpose of the frame completely

If this nano ends up working well for me, I may build the larger one with a CC, gopro and my WDR600.

I want to be able to just sit on my couch and FPV around the neighbrhood on my big screen day or night. Best part is, it doesn't go bluescreen with interference!

I have a yard with fruit trees and paths and stuff to fly around and let the dog chase. Should be perfect.