HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:13 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,955 Posts
I like the hawk but I like the L-39 even more. I like the fact that it can be a real mover and the conventional plan view makes its dead easy to orientate.

There are some great liveries as well. I built a foamie 70mm with this on post 28

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1037274&page=2

Please guve us a plain grey livery choice....its as good as primer.

J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:52 PM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
Blue is one of the WORST colors for orientation. It blends right in with a blue sky. The yellow and silver trim scheme on the China Pro website is much better orientation wise. Personally though, I agree the blue camo and silver looks better. China Pro has added the retracts to their website. Click on either the Hawk link or the L-39 link. It looks just like the Hobbyking ones.

Great job Scott! Looks great. It looks like genuine stuff, and if it's not, it's too close for anyone to tell the difference.

Maybe a fiberglass 90mm De Havilland Vampire........
torque roll is offline Find More Posts by torque roll
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:58 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280 View Post
I had some excellent results with 2650mah nanos, so I started convert everything to nanos. I have everything from 3s-2200 all the way to 6s-5000, both 70c and the high discharge 90c versions. Unfortunately in the past year, just about every one of them started puffing. It's specially worse with the 90c 5000 which I paid premium for. They were never abused, never used beyond 1/2 of its C rating, always balance charged at 1c-2c. I have three pairs of 4s-3300 (6 total) I use in T-45 as 8s-3300 configuration, all but two packs suffered symptoms of puffing. Strangely my original 4s-2650 are still going strong. I suspect turnigy changed the formula halfway, which made everything down hill.

I have seen some good results from the gen ace packs. Even when they are rated at 30c, that's still 150 amps for 5000 mah pack, plenty for my purpose. I plan to get rid of all my puffy nanos in favor of the gen ace come the new year. One thing I did notice is that for the same rated capacity, gen ace packs a both larger and heavier than nano. I suspect gen ace under rate their batteries, labeling for example 5500mah cells as 5000mah packs. So they can tolerated higher discharge ratings.
The higher C rated packs are very sensitive to storage needs---They really hate to be stored in a fully charged state....They need to be kept at the storage charge until right before you fly---Fully charge them, fly, and then keep them around 3.75/3.80 volts until you fly again....The price we pay for the higher C rating...Although puffed, chances are they are still good...Keep flying them and keep up with their capacity...Cycle them to see if they keep their rated capacity...If the rated capacity falls off abruptly, get rid of 'em..

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:10 PM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
I have 15 and 20c packs and I am very pleased with them. I don't usually get more than a 35c.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:43 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
The higher C rated packs are very sensitive to storage needs---They really hate to be stored in a fully charged state....They need to be kept at the storage charge until right before you fly---Fully charge them, fly, and then keep them around 3.75/3.80 volts until you fly again....The price we pay for the higher C rating...Although puffed, chances are they are still good...Keep flying them and keep up with their capacity...Cycle them to see if they keep their rated capacity...If the rated capacity falls off abruptly, get rid of 'em..
Kevin
I dont fully agree with this, I have sample 60c packs from my batt engineer that have been sitting in my batt boxed charged for weeks on end, they are 6 months old now and as hard as they day they arrived, never puffed even when pushed at hi constant discharge in my jets. Same with my 45c packs, I can leave them discharged, fully charged, weeks between flying and no issue with them.

My cells are premium in the sense of material quality and QC during production, there are plenty of cells coming on the market with claimed high discharge rates of 65c etc, but reality is most of them lack QC during production or have lower grade materials. You get what you pay for out of china, the chinese work on set margins and volume, they dont just knock 10% off the price and give you the same thing if you try to negotiate, they drop the price to get your business and then cut costs during production to maintain their margin. Sellers claiming their prices are so low because they make nothing on the packs, yeah right

Puffed cells are damaged cells, oxygen in the cell is a byproduct from plating of lithium to the anode, every time you puff them up you are damaging the anode and losing capacity/c rating. Years ago many of the factories attempted making cells with mixers, iron cobalt and manganese mixed, this was an attempt to get the benefits of lithium iron cobalt without the pricetag. Mixers are volatile, much more prone to puffing even when brand new and just sitting doing nothing. HK had a huge batch of bad packs, thousands were recalled, one batt company sent out 10K of cells destined for a computer company, they all puffed in transit!
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:09 PM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
My 15c packs puff a little on my faster planes that want a bigger battery, but the swelling goes down almost immediately. My Gens Ace has never swelled to this day.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:40 AM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
Any news yet???? I would much like to see the chosen trim scheme Scott.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:49 PM
kalps
Joined Jan 2008
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torque roll View Post
Thanks Scott. Guys like us don't have the ability to mass order like you. I'm sad China Pro 09 doesn't do individual sales.

This is one worth making a Hobbykinglive youtube video over. I would like to see the production trim scheme. It is often different than the prototype. It's usually a good thing though. (clearly illustrated with the hawk)

You know what to do Scott. Send us an email 15 minutes before.........
Well, i am furious about what we were shown and what's part of the KIT
kalps is offline Find More Posts by kalps
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:16 AM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
That's too bad. I hope the same thing doesn't happen with the L-39.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:30 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalps View Post
Well, i am furious about what we were shown and what's part of the KIT
Still one hell of a kit for the price.I honestly think Scott said what he believed to be true at the time the video was shot and the listing now it is available does not mention any of those components.
Gaz-b is offline Find More Posts by Gaz-b
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:42 PM
I can fly anything..... Once!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Feb 2004
1,132 Posts
interesting....
FL62 is offline Find More Posts by FL62
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:44 PM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
Quote:
Still one hell of a kit for the price.
completely agree. If you want to buy one from someone else for at least $250, go ahead. I'm sure Scott's doing the best he can to clear up what's going on. Remember, Hobbyking Ships around the world, so you're not the only one!
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:08 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,583 Posts
Have you thought that Scott or HK may not give us previews of kits because of all the crap that has gone on. We might just have to wait until it shows up as a new item.
clive45 is online now Find More Posts by clive45
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:23 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,275 Posts
Probably have scrolling disclaimer next time stating actual goods may vary from sample or something similar i think these vids generate too much interest to drop.
Gaz-b is offline Find More Posts by Gaz-b
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:31 PM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
I agree. It's a great way to test the water to see if people will like it. I am sad the V3 Edge 540 never came out. It looked like a great 3D airplane!