SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2011, 12:59 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Discussion
Anyone have a Devo 8, what do you think of it?

I am thinking of getting a Devo 8 to grow with. I would be using it for both heli's and planes. I like the fact that it has a descent memory, it's color and touch screen, 8 channels, supposively lasts a long time with a LIPO, and has tons of features.

Like I said I am really looking for a radio to grow with, and with all things considered such as features, price, quality, etc this seems to me to be the logical choice, unless someone can convince me of a better radio that is in a similar price legue, though if I get it I am going to buy it bundled with a Genius CP.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:02 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Bump, hopefully someone can get this thread going, cause there isn't much out there about it .
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:38 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
http://bit.ly/rKdCgL
Don't know anything about the radio, but here is a shop that is selling it for $290. They have a coupon code for $20 off of orders of $300 or more.

Haven't heard about it until I read this post.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Yeah it's walkera's new lineup up higher end radios, I can get a Devo 8 Bundled with Genius CP for $300, and I found 6Ch Receivers for $40, and it seems to have more features then a DX8 and color touch screen, and apparently lasts a long time with a LIPO, PLUS you can control the power output of the TX, no more draining batteries when SIMing . I am more then likely going to get this radio, only real advantage I see in having a Spectrum radio is all of the receivers and BNF modals out there for it, but I would rather have a nice radio in the long run. Either rate I am going to try to get some people from the varius Genius CP topics to chime in, maybe start a useful thread on this radio since there really isn't much info out there.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:19 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,275 Posts
It sure seems like a lot of money for an "off brand" radio (vs Futaba, Hitec, Spektrum, Airtronics).

And I dont mean to be negative, I was a very early adopter of Hitec (~2000) and was criticized for it - but I have no regrets with that system.
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:35 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
It sure seems like a lot of money for an "off brand" radio (vs Futaba, Hitec, Spektrum, Airtronics).

And I dont mean to be negative, I was a very early adopter of Hitec (~2000) and was criticized for it - but I have no regrets with that system.
Cheapest radio I could find with similar features is the Futaba 14MZ weighting in at $750+, if I buy the Devo 8 + Heli I am paying $300 for a heli and the radio...

If only I had unlimited wallet
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:32 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
If you already know how to fly, then there is no issue with going off brand. If you are a newby and want to buddy box with someone, then it is a smart idea to get a radio in the same brand as your trainer has. It can be fun trying to get off brands to co-operate with other brands through a buddy cord.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:42 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,886 Posts
Walkera isn't quite an "off-brand", their heli are very popular. The color "touch screen" is a nice bling but will this model or protocol still be around in 3 years? With the 2.4Ghz band it is someting to consider as once you buy in one brand you're stuck with it. Might be hard or impossible to find extra receivers a few years down the road, as early users of Spektrum DSM found out after a very short time. A major brand system will still keep some value as "used" (Futaba,JR,Airtronics etc...)while the off brand radio end up in the trash bin!
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:02 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
Walkera isn't quite an "off-brand", their heli are very popular. The color "touch screen" is a nice bling but will this model or protocol still be around in 3 years? With the 2.4Ghz band it is someting to consider as once you buy in one brand you're stuck with it. Might be hard or impossible to find extra receivers a few years down the road, as early users of Spektrum DSM found out after a very short time. A major brand system will still keep some value as "used" (Futaba,JR,Airtronics etc...)while the off brand radio end up in the trash bin!
That is one of the major factors I am considering really, the color touch screen is nice, and I realize it's not the best thing to consider a major decision on, BUT considering my budget and what it does offer it seems more attractive. One thing I am thinking with Walkera is that they will probably have good staying power, I wouldn't really call them an off brand either as they are pretty well known for crappy quality but it seems lately they have really been improving, and the Devo line is their next generation of radios. At the moment they are offering most of their heli's with receiver options for both wk series and Devo series, question is how long it will be before they only offer Devo equipped helis. Considering they are pretty popular and have a lot of customers out there, I think they will be around for a while.

Though I do wonder if they will expand their receiver options or if other companies will produce compatible ones that could be cheaper.

Just my thoughts on what I have been researching, honestly I am really quite a newb into the hobby, and I don't have much working knowledge of what to compare anything to either, but from a price and feature standpoint, sofar the Devo 8 seems like quite a deal to me, and with the ability to get receivers for the moment for prices fairly comparable to others why not.

If I can use it to control other helis and airplanes I will be happy, plus I would have BNF for just about any Walkera (If I ever buy any other one besides the Genius CP rofl), which really is the only reason I am heavily considering the Devo 8 too is because I want the Genius CP which sofar seems slightly better then the MCPX.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:40 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,886 Posts
If your main interest is these Walkera helis it makes sense to use their radio system. I too believe Walkera is in for the long run and their products isn't that crapy anymore as you mentioned. Like many brand they started by offering inexpensive products in a competitive market and had to cut corners but they seems serious about moving up the ladder! So far the only brand which attracted the attention of the "cloning industrie" were the major brand in 2.4Ghz (Spektrum DSM2 and Futaba), even Airtronics and Hitec didn't warrant the effort having too small a footprint. Only time will tell who will be left standing as the proprietary nature of 2.4Ghz keep customers tied up to their original choice. Never had any problem with the old FM(and older AM)radios but 2.4Ghz offer many advantages and today's radios are a lot cheaper than 30 years ago considering inflation. $300 for that radio+a nice heli is a good bargain so its not a bad choice at all.
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:17 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
If your main interest is these Walkera helis it makes sense to use their radio system. I too believe Walkera is in for the long run and their products isn't that crapy anymore as you mentioned. Like many brand they started by offering inexpensive products in a competitive market and had to cut corners but they seems serious about moving up the ladder! So far the only brand which attracted the attention of the "cloning industrie" were the major brand in 2.4Ghz (Spektrum DSM2 and Futaba), even Airtronics and Hitec didn't warrant the effort having too small a footprint. Only time will tell who will be left standing as the proprietary nature of 2.4Ghz keep customers tied up to their original choice. Never had any problem with the old FM(and older AM)radios but 2.4Ghz offer many advantages and today's radios are a lot cheaper than 30 years ago considering inflation. $300 for that radio+a nice heli is a good bargain so its not a bad choice at all.
Yeah that's what I have been really thinking, I have really just been mulling over my options, and waiting to see if a better alternative surfaces until the money is in my hands to do it .

My current plans are pretty simple really, I want the Genius for indoor and to get a good feel and practice on a full 3D CP, I will use my current HBFP V2 for outside, and I plan to build and have finished by Christmas a 450 clone of some sort, as well as get a plane I can eventually put an FPV system on. I figure if I do a slow build of the 450 (Mainly for financial reasons) I can build it over the course of about a month, get some good skill build up as well. Also get the plane probably either the same time as the Genius and Devo, or shortly after. For the plane I will probably just get a PNF, and get a 6 channel Devo rx, and a 6 Ch rx for the heli as well.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:56 AM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
585 Posts
If you want a Devo 8 I would buy it from miracle mart, they offer great pricing & good after sales support I had a dual port charger playing up on me & they just made getting a replacement easy, sure I had to pay return postage, but I did not get charged the return postage back to me for the replacement all this took only 2 weeks turn around.

Ball bearing gimbals, touch screen with the choice to use buttons, firmware upgrades over the net, 8 channels & some great & handy features.

I use the Aurora 9 personally & it's brilliant, but for the Devo 8 @ $219.00 for a tx, rx with the alloy case it's hard to beat.http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...0&filter_id=12
It does have a couple of small scratches on the rear but nothing worth worrying about.
It's 209 for the tx, rx without the alloy case.
simo71 is offline Find More Posts by simo71