HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:39 PM
My Norseman Mk IV and me
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
38 Posts
Discussion
Retractable Tail Wheel

Sorry if this is not the correct forum for this question, but I am building a scale warbird, so need this imformation.

Has anyone ever seen a retractable tail wheel assembly as shown in the plan photo below. I have checked the usual manufacturers on-line catalogs and have not come across anything that resembles this configuration.

If you know of where one can be obtained, please let me know

Thanks for looking and reading
CdnFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CdnFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:14 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,462 Posts
It looks like it could be a B&D nose wheel unit to me. They were often used as tailwheels in larger models. I've used them in several giant scale warbirds and they make great tailwheel retracts.

Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:56 PM
My Norseman Mk IV and me
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
38 Posts
Chad, holy moly, why didn't I think of that !!!!!! Of course, it makes sense to use a nose wheel assembly for that configuration. Thank you for the information. Do you have a spare one???

I will check out B&D if I can find them.

This is a great hobby, ask a question and someone out there in airplane land either has the answer or has what you are looking for.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:04 PM
Just Fly'n by,upside d'n.....
United States, NC, High Point
Joined Oct 2007
20 Posts
Hi,
give these web sites a try , www:robart.com , www.serriagiant.com, www.retracts.com , www.up-1.com ,
Depending on what model you are building or modifying , these sites may have what you want.......
Check the forums for more info on " Retract Systems "

Hope this helps,
crashwrench is offline Find More Posts by crashwrench
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:46 PM
My Norseman Mk IV and me
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
38 Posts
Thanks Crashwrench. I checked a couple of the sites already, but do appreciate the information. I had forgotten about SpringAir. (retracts.com)

I will scour the internet for the information. Thanks again. I am building a 1/5 scale A6M Zero.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 10:24 PM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnFlyer View Post
Do you have a spare one???
I wish I had a couple spare ones CdnFlyer but they have all been sold off still mounted in their respective warbirds. I'm not sure B&D is even around any longer but I'll be you could find a nose wheel unit second hand if you did some searching. Other nose wheel units will work too but I always liked the B&D best because of the design of the steering mechanism. As you can see the arm is quite long to allow the control rod for the steering to slide back and forth on it when the tail wheel is retracted. Simple and it works as advertised.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 10:37 PM
My Norseman Mk IV and me
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
38 Posts
Thanks Chad, I will search the internet. From the picture, it looks to be about the best design available. I will also check with one of my friends, and he might be able to machine one up for me as well.

I appreciate the information from you. If you find one, keep me in mind please.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 10:50 PM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,462 Posts
From what I can tell it appears as though Klass Kote is/was a supplyer of B&D but the link on their web page does not appear to work any longer. Might give them a call and see what they say.

http://www.klasskotemo.com/

If I come across anything I will be sure to let you know. Good luck!
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:53 AM
My Norseman Mk IV and me
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
38 Posts
Chad, i fired off an email to Klass Kote asking if they supply any longer, so will wait for a response. MEanwhile, I will 'scour' the internet to see if such a beast still exists. Do you have a part number??
Thanks for your assistance.

Bill
Old Nov 06, 2011, 05:15 PM
United States, MA, Hopkinton
Joined Jan 2008
2 Posts
Try Yellow Aircraft. Pretty sure their tailwheel retract is a B&D.

Carl
ccostant is offline Find More Posts by ccostant
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:33 PM
My Norseman Mk IV and me
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
38 Posts
Duhhhh, you'd have thought that I woulda thunk of that !!!! Of course, they have it advertised on their site !!! Don't know the price, but will find out.

Thank you for that wonderful suggestion

Bill
Old Nov 07, 2011, 10:02 AM
My Norseman Mk IV and me
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
38 Posts
Contacted Yellow Aircraft, and the unit is still available, and placed on order this morning. Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate all answers, that eventually got me to smarten up and talk to the kit manufacturer.