HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ViperZ, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:31 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Discussion
Park Zone UM P-51 Mustang - Indoor Season & Projects

With the flying season nearly over in Saskatchewan, Canada, our focus turns to indoor flying at the Golf Dome and school gyms. I decided to finally convert my Park Zone Ultra Micro P-51 Mustang over to the "Cripes A Mighty" paint scheme. As much as I have liked the stock Mustang, the one thing that bothered me most was the Styrofoam canopy. it just screams "MODEL PLANE" loudly to me. I realize these will at most times look like model planes, at best, but this was a nick pick of mine. In the air it actually looked real enough...

I added the Park Flyer Plastics cockpit and canopy set. The graphics came from Callie Graphics. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the results... It's not perfect, but I think it looks a bit better, and it should be a bit more unique at the indoor flying sessions. I plan to fly it gear less, however the gear and homemade doors were more for the static display.

I have a few more indoor planes to get ready. A Sukhoi XP26, and my Champ. I may also look at purchase of a UM 3D plane as well. I will probably turn my attention back on to my Helicopters as well for the indoor season. We are allowed to fly up to 450 size Helis, and My Walkera V450 has been neglected of late.

As for Big outdoor plane projects, I have a few on the go, and a few in the planning stages... I hope it's short winter season

If it doesn't snow today I may take my ParkZone 40 P-51 out for a flight or 2...
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Last edited by ViperZ; Mar 28, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:13 PM
Karma's Evil Twin Brother
USA, OH, Maineville
Joined Sep 2009
283 Posts
Looks great, Viper! I have always loved blue nose 51's. I never had much luck with my UM P-51. After swapping out a bad motor, it just never flew as well as all my other UMs.

If you are looking for another winter UM project, try adding ailerons to your Champ. You have to swap out the rx/board with the one from a 51/corsair/trojan, but I recently did it and it flies great!!

Again, well done on the 51.

Matt
Bad Karma is offline Find More Posts by Bad Karma
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:55 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Thanks Matt!

My UM P-51 did not fly well out of the box either. It took a lot of fooling around but last i flew it it was ok.. I have to have a lot of up elevator trimmed in as the neutrals posistion, otherwise it just nose dives down.

Cool on the Champ ailerons. Have you got a photo?

I was able to fly my Park Size P-47 and P-51 outsid etoday. It was cooler, but good. Hopefully may go out again tomorrow. Tonight it's indoor at the Golf Dome!
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ