Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 05, 2011, 11:02 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
Discussion
Bixler a.k.a SkySurfer tendency to flare

Greetings,

I have a Bixler that I am learning on and although I do have the CG at 60 mm when I straighten up from turning (banking) it has the tendency to lift the nose up and lose the airspeed. Is there anything that I've done wrong or this is the way this high wings behaves ??
cheers,
Marian
MarLi is online now Find More Posts by MarLi
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2011, 02:47 PM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Just about all aircraft do this, you'll soon be adding forward stick pressure as you roll out of a turn as unconsciously as adding back pressure when you roll into a turn and the nose wants to drop.
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Nov 05, 2011, 11:45 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarLi View Post
Greetings,

I have a Bixler that I am learning on and although I do have the CG at 60 mm when I straighten up from turning (banking) it has the tendency to lift the nose up and lose the airspeed. Is there anything that I've done wrong or this is the way this high wings behaves ??
cheers,
Marian
I have a Hawk Sky which is VERY similiar. Same thing happens at 60mm which is the recommended distance. I make it a bit nose heavy and it flys GREAT. I'd say 65mm is more realistic.
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:12 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarLi View Post
Greetings,

cheers,
Marian
Sounds to me like you are speeding up during the turn. When you roll out, the drag is reduced and the excess speed induces a climb.

Add power to maintain the same altitude through the turn and control the pitch to maintain the same airspeed. As you roll out reduce power. As long as you maintain the same airspeed and altitude through the turn, the plane won't start climbing.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakine48 View Post
I have a Hawk Sky which is VERY similiar. Same thing happens at 60mm which is the recommended distance. I make it a bit nose heavy and it flys GREAT. I'd say 65mm is more realistic.
If you're moving the CG from 60mm to 65mm from the leading edge you are lightening the nose, not making it 'a bit nose heavy'.

.......Mike
MS_in_NY is offline Find More Posts by MS_in_NY
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:23 AM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS_in_NY View Post
If you're moving the CG from 60mm to 65mm from the leading edge you are lightening the nose, not making it 'a bit nose heavy'.

.......Mike
Thanks Mike. I was a bit confused. More like 55m then. I have sticks set in the wings at 60 mm and just make sure the nose drops when I check the CG. I guess I'll should get around to moving the sticks to about 55mm and see exactly where it flys better when balanced out!
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48