HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2011, 07:14 PM
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Oct 2011
551 Posts
Discussion
Realflight or Phoenix?

I want to buy a simulator program but not sure which one to buy. Narrowed it down to Realflight and Phoenix. Any thoughts on pros and cons of each? Which one do you own? What do you like or dislike about it? Thanks
scottieusa is online now Find More Posts by scottieusa
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 07:41 PM
United States, VT, Norwich
Joined Jul 2010
23 Posts
I'm also going to pick between these two. In addition to the questions Scottieusa asks, which of the two has the best training features, especially for 3D flight?
ohdb99 is offline Find More Posts by ohdb99
Old Nov 04, 2011, 11:49 PM
Joined Sep 2006
30 Posts
I always tell people to buy the sim that has the Aircraft they fly in real life.
I own both, I have no real preference of one over the other.
If you've read the other which is best threads, there is a slight bias over which particular type of aircraft you prefer to fly, planks or helies.

For those that do not already own a TX, Realflight's USB controller has the look and feel of a Futaba TX.
If you already have a TX, then either one will let you use it with the included cables.

If you're into modding or creating your own content:
Both allow custom airport creation.
Both allow you to paint your own scheme.

Only Realflight allows you to create your own aircraft if you have access to 3D authoring software.
PHX will create aircraft for you if you provide the proper specs, pics, etc.
Realflight has access of hundreds of free models at their swap pages an a dedicated discussion forum.
PHX allows you to download additional aircraft via their update app.

Realflight is a little more resource intensive while phx will run on lower grade hardware.

Try both at your LHS, then pick the one you like. I don't believe you can go wrong with either after all.
phrank is offline Find More Posts by phrank
Old Nov 05, 2011, 02:56 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
I like the dedicated USB controller from RF, but looking at the models that come with Phoenix I find they have more models of planes/helis I actually have.

I was all set to pick up RF6 but then the guy at the LHS suggested Phoenix and now I can't decide either.

I may just dig my futaba 7CHP back out and use it as a dedicated sim controller with Phoenix.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:52 PM
Joined Aug 2011
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottieusa View Post
I want to buy a simulator program but not sure which one to buy. Narrowed it down to Realflight and Phoenix. Any thoughts on pros and cons of each? Which one do you own? What do you like or dislike about it? Thanks
I recently bought Phoenix V3. Flew RF and Phoenix in the stores (a little) and didn't really notice any big difference. Overall, I've been pretty satsified with the versatility of flying locations, models, weather edits, etc. I'm a much better pilot now, and my real RC plane and helo are undergoing a LOT fewer smashups and repairs from noob mishaps.

But I assumed something about Phoenix that makes me wonder if I'd have bought RF instead, had I done more research. I was under the impression that both simulators had FPV. Phoenix does not. So I spent a month practicing from the ground view, thinking... "Sooooon I will treat myself to FPV and imagine I'm actually in the cockpit flying."

But I never could. Very disappointing that FPV is not an option in Phoenix. I just assumed it was! At least I didn't race out and buy a huge LCD television for that purpose only to realize I'm grounded, watching from the sidelines.

Whichever you get, do all the research you can, and buy from a more informed place than I did.
teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:08 PM
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Oct 2011
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239 View Post
I recently bought Phoenix V3. Flew RF and Phoenix in the stores (a little) and didn't really notice any big difference. Overall, I've been pretty satsified with the versatility of flying locations, models, weather edits, etc. I'm a much better pilot now, and my real RC plane and helo are undergoing a LOT fewer smashups and repairs from noob mishaps.

But I assumed something about Phoenix that makes me wonder if I'd have bought RF instead, had I done more research. I was under the impression that both simulators had FPV. Phoenix does not. So I spent a month practicing from the ground view, thinking... "Sooooon I will treat myself to FPV and imagine I'm actually in the cockpit flying."

But I never could. Very disappointing that FPV is not an option in Phoenix. I just assumed it was! At least I didn't race out and buy a huge LCD television for that purpose only to realize I'm grounded, watching from the sidelines.

Whichever you get, do all the research you can, and buy from a more informed place than I did.

Thats a good point. FPV would be cool. How are the graphics? The Realflight website has and impressive video, the Phoenix site not so much.
scottieusa is online now Find More Posts by scottieusa
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:14 PM
Long Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Just got RealFlight G6 Heli version.

I fly Futaba so the radio is natural for me.

Loving the sim so far. I put out a short review in my blog today too.

Comes with cables for your Spektrum Jr gear also.

Has some Horizon models in there too.

I have flown Phoenix, Clearview, each for more than a year.

So, far this is my favorite overall.

Hard to say what someone else will like.

Oh, and seems that Realflight has made this version less system hungry too, runs great on my older laptop.

Good Luck
flyinryanflyin is offline Find More Posts by flyinryanflyin
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:24 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinryanflyin View Post
Oh, and seems that Realflight has made this version less system hungry too
That is true. I was worried at first when they said that that they dumbed down the graphics. Not so, in my opinion. They just use resources more efficiently.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:01 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,142 Posts
>They just use resources more efficiently.

Jeff, it seems that this is just a speculation on your part, can you provide a proof of that? (or just shooting the breeze?)
skirtz is offline Find More Posts by skirtz
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:17 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Well for one, the entire smoke routine was rewritten. It looks better, and it runs better. Try running the old smoke on a laptop. I'm not saying it's gangbusters now, but it is better.

Now tell me how I'm supposed to provide "proof?"
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:27 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirtz View Post
>They just use resources more efficiently.

Jeff, it seems that this is just a speculation on your part, can you provide a proof of that? (or just shooting the breeze?)
I'd say the post above from someone saying that it runs better is proof?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,142 Posts
I personally like Real Flight better than Phoenix, and I am sure they have fixed some things here and there in the new version (and that is what the new versions are for). I was just correcting jeffpn - most of his posts are a somewhat removed from reality...and ... shall I say it ? - I little one sided...

Cheers,
Stefan
skirtz is offline Find More Posts by skirtz
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:45 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
You're judging me now? I'm okay with that.

Oh yeah: Cheers,
Jeff
Old Nov 06, 2011, 12:31 AM
United States, TX, Hico
Joined Oct 2011
72 Posts
I just got RF6, my first sim, and I have been on it about 30 hours already... I think its AWESOME. I am actually suprised that some of the "faster" sport planes are not that bad after a little practice. I've enjoyed "overG" effects on some planes pulling out of a powerdive and the wings sheer off.... LOVE IT.
Cranking the winds up to 15+ and still putting them in smooth, its BOUND to help me if I get to fly in the morning. (30% chances of rain) CRAP. I'm charging anyway...!!!
Airfield2 is offline Find More Posts by Airfield2
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:28 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
I have Phoenix RF and AeroFly but the Best Sim for Fixed Wing/3D Physics is FSone imo.Its also has FPV
http://www.fsone.com/index.php

Now for Heli its Phoenix and heard good reports coming back on Heli in RF6.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...