HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:26 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2 View Post
Here is something I found on YOUTUBE that is fascinating to watch. Model airplanes from around the world 1930 to 1960. Enjoy.
Algy
Great video! Thanks for posting that, Algy!
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:18 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
This time we go to the JUNE 1970 issue of AEROMODELLER in search of free flight plans.

The cover shows well known UK free flight flyer IAN DOWSETT with his giant rubber powered helicopter which packs 24 strands of ¼ inch rubber to drive it’s 44 inch top rotor.

The first free flight design is a very nice scale powered SAVOIA-MARCHETTI SM81 by FLIGHT LIEUTENANT T.C. POTESTA, R.A.F.

This is really a very attractive scale subject being a three engined low wing monoplane design which saw service with the Italian Air Force as a bomber, transport , reconnaissanceand air ambulance from 1934 to the end of WW11.

The plan is a 1/8th reproduction.

The model depicted uses Alfa Romeo engines as used by the Italians on the Russian Front in 1943.

Next to CHIP-CHOPPER a sort of Helicopter powered by a COX PEE-WEE.

Designed by E.CLUTTON these are the working drawings and no article. But it appears to be easy to build. I do not know how it flies.

To the free full size plan and CLOUDMITE by CYCIL WEST.

This is another nice looking rubber model described by Cyril as a lightweight rubber powered 30 inch wingspan contest trainer.

He said you will get a competition performance from this model and all details are in the construction article.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and H.WOODMAN fully describes the ILYUSHIN IL-2M3 .

Nightowl good to hear you enjoyed the Youtube. I have looked at it a few times now and spotted a few well known models plus of course one very well known WW11 R.A.F.night fighter ace"CATS EYES" JOHN CUNNINGHAM.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Last edited by algy2; Feb 28, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:25 AM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
992 Posts
The Chip Chopper is mabe a predecessor of the Charybdis?
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:39 AM
Joined Sep 2012
6 Posts
Rubber powered helicopters

RUBBER POWERED HELICOPTERS PLANS:
http://depositfiles.com/files/jt1eiwqug
lekovic64 is offline Find More Posts by lekovic64
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:05 PM
Southern Spain
Joined Nov 2003
235 Posts
]"TILKA" by Bror Eimar
Seeing this Plan,rang a bell and amongst those "to build" kits when I retired, iI found this:

Name: Tilka kit-3.jpg
Views: 131
Size: 128.4 KB
Description:

Name: Tilka kit-1.jpg
Views: 140
Size: 111.7 KB
Description:

Name: Tilka kit-2.jpg
Views: 177
Size: 146.7 KB
Description:

The "campo" in south Spain doesnt lend itself to FF models or old men running through it,so i suppose it will not now get built, unless I can electrify it and fit a rudder servo.Seems such a pity to waste that lovely Prop and pre made folding mech.

John
John Moore is offline Find More Posts by John Moore
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:59 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To the January 1970 AEROMODELER with the cover showing five different Helicopters operating with the R.N.A.S. UK on anti-Submarine duties.

In fact there seems to be a little bit of interest helicopters right now. The first free flight plan in this issue was a helicopter KAMAN designed by J.BISHOP.

Before working on KAMAN the designer said he knew nothing about their mysteries yet KAMAN flew right out of his hand.

It has been posted before by AEROMEDDELER and can be found here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=619

Another A/2 glider was to be found in this edition. THE GRADUATE the work of JIM PUNTER.

This was part of the conclusion of Jim’s series on the design and development of the A/2 Glider.

The plan was published at 1/7th scale and can be easily enlarged to full size.

Finally to AIRCTRAFT DESCRIBED and the JODAL D-117 is closely looked at with some fine photos and a scale drawing.

One photo I have never seen before shows the fuselage just out of the paint shop being carried on the shoulders of two guys.

Cheers

Algy
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:30 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,941 Posts
Growing up a few miles away from RNAS Yeovilton we often saw Navy formations like that. The return from the Falklands was impressive.
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
Staying with 1970 but this times it’s the April issue of AEROMODELLER.

The cover shows DONALD GUGLER’S beautifully restored CURTIS WRIGHT PUSHER which is actually the subject of designer JACK HEADLY’S scale power free flight model featured in this issue.

Jack’s CUTISS WRIGHT CW1 “JUNIOR” is a lovely free flight model for those wanting something slightly different.

It comes from America’s 1930's Golden Age of Flight and was a popular ultra-light with over 300 being made in 1931

The build article gives the all important trimming details and the plan is 1/6th full size.

Next a delightful 181/2 inch wingspan rubber scale HEINKEL HE 46 by the great DOUG McHARD.

I thought this had already been posted but a check of the indexes does not bring it up.

The plan is full size and it’s suitable for indoor or outdoor flying. All the details you need are in the article.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and yet another MILES aircraft. This time it’s the MILES M.13 “HOBBY” a great scale subject.

H.ROBINSON gives all the details of this fascinating 1937 KINGS CUP contender.

Cheers

Algy
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:35 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,230 Posts
Nice. Thanks again Algy. I love the Heinkel plan. I am about to ask a stupid question, so please forgive me as I know pretty much nothing about rubber scale flying: When McHard quotes 22.5g at the end of the article pages as the final model weight... that's without the rubber, right? I am very curious about weights nowadays.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:34 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,405 Posts
For a superb rendition from the He 46 plan and some build notes have a look here
http://www.ffscale.co.uk/page2j.htm
and how he did the painting.
http://www.ffscale.co.uk/he46.htm

I've nearly finished a R/C version and would like to do it in the pre war splinter scheme if anyone can help with details of it.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Hi WMD,
Yes the Doug McHard Hienkel H-46 plan is very nice indeed. One of those plans that just asks to be built.

I am not exactly sure about the finished weights though Doug does say in the article that the lighter version he built was just over 16 grams “All-UP”. That to me indicates it includes the rubber motor.

So likewise the weight given for the heavier version at 22.5 grams would also include the rubber motor to make the comparison work.

I could be wrong but it does seem logical.

Kiwi thanks for the link to Mike’s great FREE FLIGHT site. I have often looked at it over a number of years now but had forgotten he did the McHARD Heinkel plan.

As always what a lovely job he did. Great paint work and he tells how to do it. Also mentions that he pre-shrunk the tissue on the tail structure to avoid any warps. The way to go. The lighter they are built the longer they fly and usually bounce better if the worst come to the worst.

The flight performance figures are good as well. 40 sec indoors with a finished weight of 17.5 grams and it is a nice flyer.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Feb 28, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:19 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
Those weights don't seem all that unreasonable. Perhaps the rubber weight is 25 percent or so of the weight of the empty model. I have a 16 inch dime scale job that weighed 5 grams when it was new. This one has more detail, more wing area, and double covering. If we assume that a 16 inch version would weigh twice as much as my dime scale due to these factors, that's 10 grams. If we assume that weight scales with the square of the wingspan (might be the cube, it depends), we get 13 grams. Add 25 percent for the rubber and that's a bit over 16 grams.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:22 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To the November 1971 AEROMODELLER with the cover featuring a happy group of vintage model flyers seen at the 1971 UK Nationals.

One free flight model to pass along from this issue and it’s the SUNDOWNER designed by PETER SCOTT.

Sundowner is a 45 inch span free-flight model for beginners and sports flyers with Peter saying he aimed to capture the charm of vintage flying.The flight performance exceeded all expectations.

Building is conventional and with a calm day and long grass for trimming you will be away. The plan was printed 1/5th full size.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and PAT LLOYD looks closely at a very attractive midget racer with a lovely unusual elliptical wing layout the MACE R-2 “SHARK” F.1. RACER.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Mar 01, 2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To the May 1971 issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover this time showing DAVID WALKER holding a scale twin engined Cessna 310J.

It was built from a Japanese Radio Control kit one of many that were starting to appear on the market at that time.

One free flight plan in this issue and it’s for lovely looking biplane dating from 1918.

The THOMAS-MORSE S4C SCOUT was an early American design for fighter training and J.G. WATKIN’S 1/9th scale model design not only looks great but has a fine flying performance.

Wingspan is 35 inches and a .8 to 1cc power unit up front will have it happily chugging around the sky. The plan was printed at 1/8th scale.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and one from the Czech Republic that you might have not heard of before.

It’s the BROUCEK W-01 that first took to the air in April 1970 .

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Mar 02, 2013 at 11:25 PM.