Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:56 AM
AMA 179
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Dec 2007
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_jeffrey View Post
I'd like to create a full size plan to build the Satellite 1000 from post #726.

Can someone please direct me to a description of how to go from seeing it on my screen to holding the plan? My IT skills are minimal and I've never attempted such a thing. Thanks in advance
Copy shops that cater to engineering businesses can print full-size from the digital file. If the shop can't print larger than 36-inches wide, have the file printed twice, then tape them together. Compare the measurements on the plans against the prints to ensure the scale is correct. Usually the cost of printing is about $20. Now, be cautious about diving into this project - flying this airplane demands experienced free flight skills. This design will fly "off the board" with an older cross-scavenged engine, but the new schneurle engines need additional design changes and trimming. Personally, I'm tempted to build this as an E-Power airplane with RC assist.
Luckyducky is offline Find More Posts by Luckyducky
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Sep 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2 View Post
Hi,
July 1942 AEROMODELLER ....

PETE was the third free flight plan. Designed by ROBERT BURNS. Surely not the ROBERT BURNS?
PETE was an attempt to find out if streamlining gives a better performance or not.

Algy
Here is Pete cleaned and scaled to full size. As before I have had to re-arrange the plan because while most of it was one third size, some bits were half size and some bits full size. Everything is now full size. The article is now separate.

Roger
rogerc41 is offline Find More Posts by rogerc41
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:33 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_jeffrey View Post
I'd like to create a full size plan to build the Satellite 1000 from post #726.

Can someone please direct me to a description of how to go from seeing it on my screen to holding the plan? My IT skills are minimal and I've never attempted such a thing.

Thanks in advance
aaron,
not to step on algy's thread here but you can buy a copy of those plans from The National Free Flight Society for $12. Here's the link...http://www.freeflight.org/shopping/p...il.php?id=1100

Back to algy....(love this thread!)
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:52 PM
AMA 179
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Dec 2007
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
aaron,
not to step on algy's thread here but you can buy a copy of those plans from The National Free Flight Society for $12. Here's the link...http://www.freeflight.org/shopping/p...il.php?id=1100

Back to algy....(love this thread!)
The plans listed there are for the GLH (Goes like Hell) version (Satellite 1000 Series 70/GLH), which I believe is different from the Series 70 in that the vertical stab is located in front of the horizontal stab, plus other revisions. AMA plans service used to have the Series 70 plans available years ago, but no longer comes up in the database. If there is a source of full size plans for the Series 70 as published in the 1972 AAM, info would be appreciated.
Luckyducky is offline Find More Posts by Luckyducky
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:52 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,788 Posts
rogerc41:

Thanks for the Pete redo. That is a good looking little airplane.

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

To the May 1942 AEROMODELLER with the cover graced once again by a nostalgic Rupert Moore painting showing modellers enjoying their sail planes “Some where in the hills”

First article of note is on a model of a CYCLOGIRO by SHERWILL COLE.

A Cyclogiro it seems is a rotating wing aircraft and the editor was offering a prize of three pounds to the reader who obtains the most successful results with a model based on the printed drawing.

Three pounds was not to be sneezed at in 1942. I wonder if a model was actually built and flown by someone..

Next to the BALSA BUG by W.A. DEAN who designed this attractive little vintage rubber model to try out a triangular fuselage. Plan appears to be full size. Should look very nice in the air.

The REV.W.P. WYLIE had the next design another smallish rubber model this time aimed at the local Air Scouts.

He called it “LITTLE WILLIE” and the construction article is well detailed to help the beginner. Plan is halve size so easy to blow up.

I will not comment on the name he chose though I can think of a few good one liners.

Next to a 10 foot model DIRIGIBLE from America. I have scanned and posted it because although no plan is given it is a fascinating subject.

The very detailed article and the dimensions given would enable anyone to have a go. Over three and a half years spare time work will have been put in on the model before the soon then to be held trial flights.

The mysteries of CO-AXIAL AIRSCREWS was also looked at in depth in this issue by C.F. HEDGES and R.V. BENTLY.

The model plan for this was included and it builds up into one of the nicest looking Vintage rubber models I have seen. Once again if built you would be very loath to cover it. A work of art.

Two co-axial props whirring away must be a sight to see as it climbs overhead for height.

Finally to AIRCRFT DESCRIBED and from the series "FIGHTING AIRCRAFT OF THE PRESENT WAR” H.J. COOPER looks at the BUCKER JUNGMEISTER and the GOTHA GO 149.

Cheers

Algy

algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Last edited by algy2; Dec 08, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,334 Posts
Just a thank you to algy, for maintaining the considerable momentum this thread represents. and while "I do appreciate seeing the various FF designs, ALSO find the "aircraft described" articles facinating as well.

This is not to slight the other contributors, for they hav added to the overall enjoymnt I have had, and contine to enjoy. Thanks to all.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:28 AM
Gravity gets me down.
Joined Oct 2004
2,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2 View Post

Next to the BALSA BUG by W.A. DEAN who designed this attractive little vintage rubber model to try out a triangular fuselage. Plan appears to be full size. Should look very nice in the air.
Balsa Bug... there are those designs that for one reason or another elicit an immediate "must build" response. Lovely little model- thanks!
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:55 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeler free flight plans

Hi,
Going to the 80s this time with the January 1985 issue of AEROMODELLER.

The cover features one of England’s aeromodelling greats COLONAL CLAUDE BOWDEN who was a leading petrol engine pioneer in the 1930s.He was the subject of an in depth appreciation in this issue.

The first three plans were full size and all printed on one sheet.

SOLE PLATE by HOWARD METCALFE, AB1 by DEREK KNIGHT and NINE INCHES by TONY BUTTERWORTH all had one thing in common though. They were rubber powered.

Both Sole Plate and AB1 were all sheet construction for out doors and Nine Inches was an attractive indoor duration model covered in pre-shrunk condenser paper. All the information is on the plans.

Staying with Indoor Duration for the next model FREE SPIRIT R1D by Canadian RON HIGGS.

Free spirit holds the World Record for the F1D class and features a novel variable pitch propeller.

Finally to two ‘FLAPPERS” by SHOJI MURATA. Fascinating stuff. One of the plans is full size and the other is fully dimensioned.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Dec 10, 2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:07 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
To the OCTOBER 1990 AEROMODELLER with the cover showing RUSSELL PEERS at the UK 1990 F/F NATIONALS in Open Power.

One free flight plan to be found in this issue the NASA SPACE SHUTTLE designed by DAVID GOODENOUGH.

Davis said it is a “Stand Way Off Scale” rendition which on it’s first outing did not fly strait of the building board but like one.

But once trimmed he actually was presented with the third place trophy at a Sunday flying session.

Construction is all sheet and the original was powered by the classic Mills 0.75. Launching is done at the canter using an underarm technique.

Try more power at your peril. Houston we have a problem.

Cheers

Algy
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,861 Posts
Here is an unusual one, a Jones S-125. It is from an old Flying Aces magazine. As usual, the plans were cut up and printed across multiple pages. I assembled them and copied and flipped the top view which included half of the stabilizer so you would have the full top view and the full stabilizer.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:30 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,584 Posts
Hail Rufus! Tickled to see you out, and about!
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,285 Posts
The Jones looks a lot like the Pasped Skylark.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:37 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
Hail Rufus! Tickled to see you out, and about!
Yeah, despite the other things I like to build in my shop, I always keep up with RC Groups and occasionally prepare a plan or two. I really want to get back to building a model or two sometime soon. I just have to complete two long running projects in my shop that I simply "must" finish before "enjoying" myself.

Years ago when I was in my mid teens (the mid 1950s) I looked around my little model airplane shop and saw a lot of half built airplanes lying around. I realized I had a problem of getting excited over a new kit I had just seen and would buy it and set aside what I was working on to start on the new kit. I finally promised myself that I would never start something new until I had finished what I was building. I have pretty much kept that promise all these years. I'll have to admit that sometimes I find myself burned out on a long project and rather than start building something new, I enjoy another interest for a short while. Eventually I come back to the project and finish it up. But I still try to never start a new build project until I finish the present one.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:56 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Gee Rufus, I wish I had your discipline, I've got a workshop full of half built airframes and I bet I'm not alone!
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom