SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:55 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Hi Roger,
Good work on joining up the 1942 Brewster Buffalo plan. Nice job. Makes you realise that it is quite a large looking scale rubber model. The “portly” fuselage is very appealing.

Who will be the first to get it back in the air after all this time?

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:12 AM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Just to let you all know I havent deserted you, still loads of Model Aircraft mags to scan and post but computer No 1 is crashing on a regular basis so will be offline whilst I either sort or tranfer everything to another computer.
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
I had a quick go at the Lonarch 1, such a nice design I can't help myself, and here it is at the same scale, I mean as printed, but with the speckled background removed. Might be useful if someone wants to have a go at drawing up the plan now to full size - I'm out of time on this now. Got to run.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Sep 2011
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
I had a quick go at the Lonarch 1 ....
Here is Lonach 1 (uploaded by Algy and cleaned by WMD) scaled up to full size. I had to re-arrange it with the plan on several sheets, because the plan and the formers had to be scaled differently.

It is an amazingly complex design; as the designer says "vast strength"! A pity that Aeromodeller printed one of the more complex parts (the rear fuselage) across the page divide.

Roger
rogerc41 is offline Find More Posts by rogerc41
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:13 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
One wonders what the designer/builders intent was - so much work for so little return, in that a 16 ounce model would have very limited flying ability. So much complexity and detail lavished upon a semi-scale model is unusual; perhaps a sheer love of building was the incentive
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Nov 2003
92 Posts
How to turn a pdf/zip into a plan I can build from ?

I'd like to create a full size plan to build the Satellite 1000 from post #726.

Can someone please direct me to a description of how to go from seeing it on my screen to holding the plan? My IT skills are minimal and I've never attempted such a thing.

Thanks in advance
aaron_jeffrey is offline Find More Posts by aaron_jeffrey
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_jeffrey View Post
I'd like to create a full size plan to build the Satellite 1000 from post #726.

Can someone please direct me to a description of how to go from seeing it on my screen to holding the plan? My IT skills are minimal and I've never attempted such a thing.

Thanks in advance
Easiest way is to copy it onto a CD, DVD or memory stick. Do you have a writeable CD or DVD drive on your computer? Memory sticks plug into the same USB ports a digital camera cable plugs into on your computer.

Some copy shops accept email orders so you could email the plan to them and pick it up. Be careful since they vary widely in what they charge per copying. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if you could write down the URL (link) to the plan and a copy shop could open and print it from that.

scrubs
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

HI,
Back to the 1940s again for free flight plans and the October 1941 AEROMODELLER.

The Cover painting by RUPERT MOORE shows the MINERVA climbing over the English country side while below a group of aero modellers stand by the take off mat.

In fact the MINERVA was the only plan to pass along from this issue and it’s a very attractive rubber powered biplane designed by J.E. FRASER

The gull wing sets it apart and together with the spindly undercarriage it has that wonderful true “Vintage” look. Looks capable of a good performance as well.

Next to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and another rare one in the form of the BLACKBURN “DART” SEAPLANE.

E.J.RIDDING gives a detailed description of this single engined torpedo carrying biplane used by the Fleet Air Arm shortly after WW1. Another great modelling subject.

Also described in this edition was the MESSERSCHMIT Me 109E by H.J. COOPER in the series “Fighting Aircraft Of The Present War”

Given that of course the UK was fighting in the air over England for it’s survival then the text reflects the times and makes interesting reading.

Finally thanks to the great work on the 70 year old LONACH 1 plan by ROGER and STEVE it is available for building from for the first time full size. Another little bit of aero modelling history resurrected and preserved.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Dec 01, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:15 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,041 Posts
And thanks to you too Algy for posting the plans in the first place. Still following along with this wonderful thread and eagerly awaiting all new postings.

Simon
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
Another December issue of AEROMODELLER this time from 1990 with the cover featuring Vintage Corner columnist ALEX IMRIE proudly displaying his replica JIMMIE ALLEN BLUEBIRD.

Being a Christmas edition it was loaded with great articles and reports and one full size free flight plan to pass along.

This was SNARLER by JOHN POLETTI. Snarler is a scalish low wing sports model for 1cc motors.

John said it was designed to be tough but docile to trim. Flight pattern is left in power and glide and it will track strait ahead on a R.O.G.

Dress it up in whatever markings take your fancy and get up into the wide blue yonder. Yes it will land on its wheels if the surface is reasonably smooth.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Dec 02, 2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:13 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
Going to the July 1942 AEROMODELLER with the evocative RUPERT MOORE cover painting showing some of the lads taking a break from duties for a spot of model making. In the back ground can be seen an Anti Aircraft emplacement.

The first free flight plan is HORUS by well known RAY.MALSTROM. It’s not one of the quirky designs that he later became famous for but a nice traditional looking little Bi-Plane.

Full details are in the build article and on the plan. Ray said his first Horus flew right of the board and gave constantly good flights.

Next was a rubber powered solid stick model which designer W.A Dean called “SOLID STCK MODEL”

Plan is full size. And includes the propeller blank lay out.

PETE was the third free flight plan. Designed by ROBERT BURNS. Surely not the ROBERT BURNS?

PETE was an attempt to find out if streamlining gives a better performance or not.

It certainly flies well and features a single bladed prop

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and from the series FIGHTING AIRCRAFT OF THE PRESENT WAR H.J.COOPER looks closely at the FAIRCHILD F24-W-41.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Dec 04, 2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:08 AM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
Thanks Algy:

That was a nice selection of plans...

Dave-
foamdave is online now Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:21 AM
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
Aeromodeller plans etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2 View Post
Hi Roger,
Good work on joining up the 1942 Brewster Buffalo plan. Nice job. Makes you realise that it is quite a large looking scale rubber model. The “portly” fuselage is very appealing.

Who will be the first to get it back in the air after all this time?

Cheers

Algy
In case you guys would like to know, there is a super website at www.aeromodellerinfo.co.uk which has a load of information about "proper" aeromodelling!

I understand that all the old plans from Aeromodeller and other magazines are still available from various sources, and this includes plans from the US magazines too.
Deadkeen is offline Find More Posts by Deadkeen
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:23 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Hi Deadkeen. Is that site yours, by any chance?
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
This time it’s the February 1995 issue of AEROMODELLER. The cover shows LITTLE GLENELG based on the vintage 1945 GLENELG power design but sorry the plan is to small to scan.

The first free flight plan was one for the strong armed brigade being the HLG TURBO KID by TED HORSLEY.
It’s designed for beginners to contest Hand Launched Gliders. Has a lead D/T and all details including trimming details are on the plan.

Staying with gliders but this time the Boost Glider SAMARKAND .

STEWART LODGE developed it from the Russian concept used first by SERGEI IIIiN.

The wings fold up and slew 90 degrees for a more efficient boost, flipping open at the apogee of the glide.

Next were two designs by MARK BEES the first being SHREW MK2. This is a rather nice little rubber beginners model . Construction is sturdy and practical.

Mark’s second plan is BAMBI a condenser paper covered rubber duration model. Maybe a step up from the popular Hanger Rat and ideal for those delving deeper into the world of Indoor Duration.

No construction articles but all details are on the plans.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Dec 07, 2012 at 08:02 AM.