HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:37 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,200 Posts
Plans correct size now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromeddeler View Post
my fault it was such a pain getting all the scans to the same scale so that they could be stitched together i forgot to scale them up to full size. I have now done so and edited the post with the correct size plans.
You are making things too easy for the rest of us

Thanks!
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:29 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
To the 1950’s AEROMODELLER'S this time with plans from May 1954 and one from August 1954.

The cover illustration shows the diminutive Boulton & Paul P.111 delta and a very nice scale plan could be found inside for a 24 inch Jetex powered version.

This was by D.GOLDING who said the P.111 had all ways attracted modellers with it’s clean lines and stubby fuselage .

Secondly was a Concours D’ Elegance class model the PEREGRINE by DICK TWOMEY.. It is a high wing tricycle undercarriage layout for point- fives.

Although not for beginners the semi scale design is for modellers who prefer a realistic model that lends its self to a high finish.

Next for beginners was a full size plan for SKYHOP by J RODERICK. It is a 23inch sheet balsa towline trainer.

Yes all the details are on the one page plan but it took me a few minutes to work it out.

You get a puzzle and a plan in one.

Finally to August 54 and a great scale free flight plan for the RYAN PT-20 for .75cc to 1cc motors.

It was the work of GEOFFREY GANNON and is a proven example of a scale low wing model that flies well in all weather conditions and possesses remarkable stability.

Once again as with all these plans you get the full construction article.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:56 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
We go this time to the OCTOBER 1983 AEROMODELLER with the cover photo showing Arthur Evens with his 1935 GONODPILUIS GULL at Old Warden in June of that year.

This issue contained the usual number of excellent articles plus one set of full size free flight plans for A1 glider competitions.

This was HOT MAX AND SUPER MAX from Denmarkís JOGEN KORSGAAD.

It was flown locally by a junior 16 year old competitor who won most of the competitions entered.

Since then further versions have also won the designer and others a number of firsts. Build one and get in amongst the winners.

A full construction and trimming article goes with the plans.

Cheers.

Algy
Old Dec 01, 2011, 01:04 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
We're in the 1950s’ again with a look at Free Flight plans from AEROMODELLER.

To April 1955 where the first plan and build article is for BI-PLAY a delightful sports bi plane by PETE HOLLAND.

The design has 1950’s all over it and is for .5 to 1.5 cc engines with knock off wings, streamlined cabin and spatted undercarriage.

Next to a snub nosed rally winning A/2 glider.

Dubbed SHORTY by designer JEFF HANCOCK it follows a trend in short nosed gliders that had started in 1952. In the first contest entered JEFF came away first with total flight time of 12.00.

Details are given for a two piece wing if you have transport problems.

We stay in 1955 but this time the October issue and time to get your feet wet with MERBABY by the prolific VIC SMEED.

MERBABY is a 20 inch rubber powered puddle jumper and the plan is full size. According to VIC it can be built in an evening for very little cost.

To another PET HOLLAND design and keeping up the marine theme, we have MIRANDA a flying boat for .75 to 1cc engines.

Actually it can be flown “Wet” or “DRY ” as although being a flying boat an undercarriage can plugged into the solid sponson tips. Full details are given on the plan.

Sorry no cover scans this time. Both of the magazines in my collection don’t have one.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Dec 01, 2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:35 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,037 Posts
Algy - could you give us page 524 and the rest of the Merbaby article?

Please!!

Simon
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Last edited by Modelholic; Dec 01, 2011 at 04:17 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:37 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,037 Posts
Just to prove I am reading the articles!
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:53 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi Simon,

Here is the complete build article for MERBABY.
Sorry about that these things sometime happen.

Happy "Puddle jumping"

Cheers

Algy
Old Dec 01, 2011, 04:13 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,037 Posts
Please don't apologise Algy. I'm just grateful for all your hard work. It is truly appreciated and I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment. I'm not old enough to have seen these first time around but I feel a real affinity to the golden age of modelling. Really enjoying all your posts.

Simon
Old Dec 01, 2011, 05:28 AM
Coming home to Canada soon
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2 View Post
Hi,
To the 1950ís AEROMODELLER'S this time with plans from May 1954 and one from August 1954.

The cover illustration shows the diminutive Boulton & Paul P.111 delta and a very nice scale plan could be found inside for a 24 inch Jetex powered version.

This was by D.GOLDING who said the P.111 had all ways attracted modellers with itís clean lines and stubby fuselage .

Secondly was a Concours Dí Elegance class model the PEREGRINE by DICK TWOMEY.. It is a high wing tricycle undercarriage layout for point- fives.

Although not for beginners the semi scale design is for modellers who prefer a realistic model that lends its self to a high finish.

Next for beginners was a full size plan for SKYHOP by J RODERICK. It is a 23inch sheet balsa towline trainer.

Yes all the details are on the one page plan but it took me a few minutes to work it out.

You get a puzzle and a plan in one.

Finally to August 54 and a great scale free flight plan for the RYAN PT-20 for .75cc to 1cc motors.

It was the work of GEOFFREY GANNON and is a proven example of a scale low wing model that flies well in all weather conditions and possesses remarkable stability.

Once again as with all these plans you get the full construction article.

Cheers

Algy
ALGY2 - thanks for this post. The Aeromodeller is from my birth month so that will find its way onto the workshop wall this weekend. Also the Ryan looks great. I have just printed it out at half scale for indoor. Now which to build first the Ryan, DH60 or the Ro-Dart? should I finish some of the already started projects maybe?

Hum - decisions, decisions!

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Dec 02, 2011, 04:03 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To DECEMBER 1988 for this issue of AEROMODELLER.

The full size fold out plan is for quite a rare one by RAY JOHNSON.

It is a scale rubber 24 inch wing span SVESKA AERO AB SK8 that can be flown in or outdoors.

The SVESKA AERO AB SK8 was a bi plane used as a trainer in various Swedish squadrons between 1929 and 1938.

The construction article and plan has all the information you need.

Next for CO2 aficionados is the CO2 Indoor Record Breaker by MARK CROOME. Wing and tail ribs are full size and all dimensions are given together with technical details.

Mark managed to get 13min 29sec using a standard TELCO engine and an own design one bladed prop. An amazing performance for 1988.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Dec 02, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:12 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,404 Posts
Gotta LOVE the ff scale stuff! That Swedish trainer biplane is a natural. While I like to see the plans, good scale documentation is wonderful too. That is AB SK8 is a keeper.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Dec 02, 2011, 10:10 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,200 Posts
"Svenska Aero AB" means Swedish Aero JSC (Joint-Stock Company), so the type designation is just "Sk 8".

... or, actually, the company type was SA-12 Skolfalken (school falcon), and Sk 8 was the Air Force designation
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:18 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,842 Posts
Hello,

Here's some more documentation on the SK-8

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Dec 04, 2011, 04:39 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi.
Into the 1950’s again with free flight plans from both the March and July issues of Aeromodeller.

The cover of the March issue features the prototype Vickers Valiant which had a very short life after being destroyed by fire in the air.

The first article and plan was for the JAVELAN by “VULTAN” designer S/Ldr LAURIE ELLIS.

It was a sports Delta free flight for .5cc to .8cc engines and was the fourteenth such model in a long line of development. S/Ldr LAURIE said it was the best so far.

Next to scale free flight and a design by RON MOULTON for the AUSTER A.O.P.
The Auster company was famous for it’s light aircraft and military air observation parts.

Full construction details are given including how best to mould the distinctive canopy.

To “Fizz” power and a very nice full size scale plan for a JETEX “MIDGE” . The full size MIDGE was the hit of the Farnborough Air Show in 1954.

This was the work of JOHN DARNELL who also evolved a very ingenious way to form the compound curves with full size patterns given.

Finally to yet another scale plan this time for a little known French light plane the MAX HOLSTE MH. 152. From the JULY ISSUE.

Designed by COLIN READ for .75cc to 1.5cc engines and of 50 inch wingspan it is based on an earlier rubber design by GEORGE WOOLLS

The proportions are right and it would look great in the air.

Cheers

Algy
Old Dec 05, 2011, 04:43 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
This time to the March 1986 AEROMODELLER,

The cover features the work of master scale modeller CHARLES NEWMAN and his I/10th scale Avro 504N.

This was somewhat of a CO2 issue with full size scale plans for the WW1 MORONE L plus documentation.

Of 25 inch wingspan it was designed by H.STEPHENS who said it fly’s outstandingly well even in windy weather conditions.

A informative build article is given together with finishing information.

Next was MAYFLY a CO2 endurance model by one of the leading exponents of this type DAVE HIPPERSON.

Details were given in the article by DAVE on designing MAYFLY and how to get the best from a CO2 motor.

The plan gives full size rib sections plus technical information.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Dec 05, 2011 at 05:16 PM.