HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
To the June 1998 AEROMODELLER where the cover shows TERRY BROWNS rubber scale C-3605 SCHLEPP. A plan feature in this issue.

Unfortunately the plan has price and ordering details superimposed over the twin fin structure so did not scan.

Centre page though was PAUL McLLRATH’S attractive STAGGERWING SPORT also for rubber power.

This Beechcraft aircraft with it’s classy looks has been a popular subject for aero modellers since it first took to the skies and this lightweight model should give a lot of indoor fun.

Next to ALEX IMRIE’S popular VINTAGE CORNER with Alex amongst other things, taking a detailed look at the 1935 GORDEN LIGHT Wakefield Winner .

Have scanned the article plus the reduced size plan layout which also contains some full size parts.

With this plan you get to play “FIND THE RUDDER” rather then “FIND WALLY”. It is there.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To Vol 62 issue 737 of AEROMODELLER and on the cover PINK PANTHER with the full size plan to be found inside.

Pink Panther, a simple CO2 sport model, is the work of PETER MILLER.

Despite being a simple model to make it has attractive lines and flies well although initial trimming flights showed problems until it was found that it’s not advisable to fly right under power.

Next was PETER WATSON’S “NO FRILLS” a contest winning F1J duration power design from one of the UK’s top power flyers.

Peter said he kept the design as simple and lightweight as possible. Full trimming advice is given in the construction article.

I have scanned the half page size plan reproduction at my highest setting (600dpi) but cannot quite make out the wingspan and no scale is given on the plan. Any help with this most welcome.

Next a very interesting article on MICK KING’S classic 1954 Nordic A2 Sailplane INCH WORM by MARTYN PRESSNELL

Martyn has recreated the Contest Kits plan and it was printed as a quarter page reproduction with the article. Have once again scanned it at my highest setting and it should be usable blown up to full size.

There is a current “INCH WORM” thread to be found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1753244

Cheers

Algy
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:26 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,543 Posts
Inchworm - one wonders why somebody has to redraw a plan which is commonly available?
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:48 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2 View Post
Next was PETER WATSON’S “NO FRILLS” a contest winning F1J duration power design from one of the UK’s top power flyers.

Peter said he kept the design as simple and lightweight as possible. Full trimming advice is given in the construction article.

I have scanned the half page size plan reproduction at my highest setting (600dpi) but cannot quite make out the wingspan and no scale is given on the plan. Any help with this most welcome.

Algy
My hobby store quotes the span as 52"
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:55 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To the October 1986 AEROMODELLER with the cover featuring a double -size Buccaneer. Proud owner LEN SHANNON likes them big. It’s powered by a glow-converted 50cc Quadra.

First of the free full size plans in this edition was SPINNEROO for all those fond of the strange.

Spinneroo, is constructed mainly from stiff fluted card and you actually run downwind to launch it.

It’s sort of a flying saucer. Quiet news day where you are? A few flights just after dawn over the local corn fields could have it making the midday TV news.

Next to a very nice scale peanut model of the CLOUCESTERSHIRE GANNET by RAY JOHNSON.

This is a 1986 UK Nats winner with Ray taking out first place indoors and is said to be a docile model to fly.

To a Mini Vintage and a CO2 version of SPORTY at three fifths scale.

It’s by JOHN RUSSELL with the 1950 original being the work of J.S.HUMPHRY. That has already been posted by Tri pacer and can be found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...265873&page=18

John said his version flies very well both in and outdoors and is a lot of fun.

Staying with Mini Vintage and half size version of G.W. HARRIS’S 1942 Wakefield G.H.20.

G.F. ELSEGOOD’S version follows’ the full size exactly including a single bladed folding prop.

The designer said his little GH20 is the most forgiving rubber model he has ever built being very stable and equally happy turning left or right.

Aeromeddeler thanks for suppling the correct wingspan for “NO FRILLS”

Cheers

Algy
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:52 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
602 Posts
Model Aircraft January 1961

Plover 42" span A1 Glider FF by Cyril West

Wee Snifter 30" span FF sport by Doug McHard

Model Aircraft September 1961

Fokker D8 27" span scale FF by M.F.Hawkins Do not know how I missed this one, cannot find it postedwith the rest of the plans from this issue.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:42 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
Delving this time in to the April 1995 AEROMODELLER.

The cover shows SYLVIA HEINLOVA holding a LUBOMIR KOUTNY designed MIG - DIS scale rubber twin. 1400 turns on each motor then 10 minutes out of sight.

First a vintage 1923 rubber model by aeromodeller pioneer C.E.BOWDEN. This was his third own design and so called C.B.3. In the words of that era it was a tractor mono covered in fuselage model.

This was found in the ALEX IMRIE Vintage Corner feature and is to 1/5th scale. I have scanned the article to go with the plan.

Next to another very popular scale subject the INTERSTATE CADET this time the work of PHILLIP KENT.

It’s a pretty little model for rubber, electric power or CO2 power with excellent flying characteristics.
Sheet tail surfaces simplifies construction and plan is full size.

Also full size is the plan for COMET 19 by STEPHEN SMITH a19 inch span micro electric model for calm weather.

Although a small model it has very appealing lines. One that just asks to be built.

Designer RON PRENTICE advises you to put on your running shoes when flying his RPM.

He said you can have a lot of fun flying this diminutive pylon model with a small motor up front. Construction is quite straight forward and full trimming advice is given in the article. Plan is full size.

Finally we head indoors and the plan for BOB BAILEY’S 1.2 gram EZB RECORD HOLDER.
State of art in 1994 at the Indoor Champs Cardington UK.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Oct 28, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
This time it’s the September 1997 issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover featuring Phoenix Models control line stunt kit model “RAVEN“.

Another of RAY MALSROM'S fun creations is the first construction article and plan.

It’s the WEE GEE BEE. Simple to construct but trimming proved to be a bit of a challenge. Ray said it may take a few attempts but stick with it and you will get there.

Next to one of another full size free plan and it’s LULU BABY by JOHN BARKER 50 years after he designed the original LULU in 1947.

LULU BABY comes in at 30 inch wingspan and lightweight button thread is recommended to get this very attractive little tow line glider up into the thermals.

It features easy construction and is equipped with 1950s style auto rudder and a D/T.

A very nice Vintage rubber model was to be found in ALEX IMRIE’S “VINTAGE CORNER” THE WASP.

It was just a stand alone plan by G.DUNMORE reproduced to ½ full size with no accompanying article.
The Wasp featuring a twin fin tail has appealing lines and should present no problems to make. You could also easily add a D/T with no modifications.

To yet another full size plan and the start of a two part series on building with foam by DAVID DEADMAN.

It’s a Peanut SPITFIRE Mk.2 and the colour photo shows just what can be achieved using foam and the techniques out lined in the two part feature. Quite amazing.

I will post part two on indoor foam flying scale in my next look at Aeromodeller free flight plans.

Cheers

Algy
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
Going to the October 1997 AEROMODELLER. The cover features a brace of foam scale beauties by DAVID DEADMAN a Peanut MACHI SAETTA and a 17 inch span NAKAJIMA KATE.

This issue continued with Dave’s two part series on building with foam “FOAM AT LAST” and the building article on the previously posted SPITFIRE MK2. Peanut scale plan.

Next staying with the ever popular peanut scale and DAVE LINSTRUM’S PILATUS PORTER

This was a full size plan complete with markings featuring lightweight 1/20 square balsa construction.

Dave said “It flies great”

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Oct 28, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:15 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
740 Posts
I was going to build the Camel by F.C. Saunders for the kit bashing contest, but when reviewing the CAD plans against the originals I discovered they were not at the proper scale. Is there someone that can help me rectify this? I am not very proficient at this sort of stuff as some others are. Below are the files if someone can help me out.
The wing span is supposed to be 42", but when I scale the whole plan the depth of the wings are too big.....!
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:02 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCCOR7737 View Post
I was going to build the Camel by F.C. Saunders for the kit bashing contest, but when reviewing the CAD plans against the originals I discovered they were not at the proper scale. Is there someone that can help me rectify this? I am not very proficient at this sort of stuff as some others are. Below are the files if someone can help me out.
The wing span is supposed to be 42", but when I scale the whole plan the depth of the wings are too big.....!
Not sure what you are doing as the plans are already scaled to full size. Have tiled the CAD traced plan. it should print out onto 16 A4 sheets. Done with isiplot there are alignment marks so plan should be easy to reassemble. I like to lightly past onto thick lining paper as opposed to trying to sellotape the pages as it allows you some movement to align pages before pressing firmly in place and gives a nice heavyweight plan to build on. Use paste sparingly as over soaking can aloow A4 sheets to stretch. Hope this helps
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Jasco Thermic 30

I have posted this plan to the vintage pre 1960 plans thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10737

Enjoy.
shuyge is offline Find More Posts by shuyge
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:00 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,122 Posts
Hey all, I'm looking for plans of a free flight model called "Start" that are readable. the plane is a small cabin type model from 1954.

Volar Libremente shows a photo of the model and a very poor quality image of it.

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:12 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
602 Posts
Model Aircraft March/April 1950
this magazine was an incredibly thin issue with only one plans and covering two months.

Guillotine 62" span Nordi A2 class FF glider

Model Aircraft May 1950
Much increased number of pages and three plans in this issue

Alpheratz 84" span tailess FF sailplane

Challenger 56" span semi scale FF power

Simon 41" span 1949 Gutteridge Trophy winner FF rubber wakefield
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:39 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,280 Posts
Good post, aeromeddeler! I especially like the Challenger...... but is there an article to go with it? I would presume that the turtledeck would be semicircular, which would carry on to the cowl, but no fuz formers are shown. Interesting 'knock off' power unit as well, by the looks of it!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink