HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:29 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
To the July 1986 issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover showing Sonia Stankovic displaying STEVE PHILLPOT’S CO2 winner TESPARK. The full size plan was to be found inside.

In fact it is a bit of a CO2 special with the two full size fold out plans in the centre.

The first was TELSPARK designed by Steve one of the top UK free flight guys from that era.

The motor is unusually mounted high up as pusher on a nose pylon structure but Steve in his informative construction article explains all in the design philosophy.

The layout is also given of superior prop to the one that normally comes with the motor.

Next to NATSNEEZ JUNIOR by G.F. ELSEGOOD a miniature CO2 vintage version of the P.E. NORMAN classic from the 1940’s.

I was so struck with this model that I built it as per the plan in the 1980’s. It flew well and my big delight was to have it circling around me at constant shoulder height on a calm day.

I can remember no real difficulties in the construction and powered it with a TELCO 3000 TURBOTANK engine.

You’ll find the plan and construction article of the original NATSNEEZ from the November 1944 AEROMODELLER here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=170

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Last edited by algy2; Sep 10, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi.
The January 1996 issue of AEROMODELLER is featured this time.

The cover shows Shirley Moore Activities Coordinator at the SAM Champs in Colorado Springs holding her own colourful Korda Wakefield. Her second model.

The first free flight model could be found in ALEX IMRIE’S VINTAGE CORNER monthly feature.

Alex looks at the work of pioneering New Zealand modeller BILL MACKLEY and in particular his Vintage power model VENUS. A fascinating article.

The text on the reproduced full page plan is indistinct and cannot be read but
an address is given at the end of the article for ordering the plans though am not sure if it is still valid.

Next to the full size centre fold plan for an interesting design, the SHADOW 1 by ALBERT PLATT.

Shadow 1 is a rubber powered delta. Construction is ingenious using balsa and 2 mm wall insulation foam. Albert said the low wing loading gives slow and stable flights either in or outdoors.

Cheers

Algy
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:35 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi.
To the March 1996 edition of AEROMODELLER with the cover showing JACK REID holding one of his electric free flight models.

To the first free full size plan, a very welcome one for Vintage fans, HARRY PURSER’S KORDA 25.

As the name suggests it’s a 25 in wingspan version of the classic KORDA WAKEFIELD.

Not quite a rib for rib replica and with a standard plastic propeller, it is a good looking small field flyer for calm summer days.

The other full size plan to be found in this issue is a tough little glider conceived by designer MIKE HINKLIN as a School project.

Mike said the ACTOS GLIDER is simple to make and repair and a lot of fun to fly.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Sep 14, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:36 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
602 Posts
Model Aircraft Seeptember 1949

1949 Wakefield Winnerr 46. 3/8 " span FF rubber power

Model Aircraft October 1949

World Tailess Record Holder 40"span gilder or power FF
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:04 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
602 Posts
Trespassing into Algy territory here but found an Aeromodeller I had not scanned in the small pile of Model Aircraft I still have to scan. Having scanned it thought might as well post it

Aeromodeller February 1973

Boeing B-47 19" Span profile scale catapult launched glider FF

Westland Lysander 19" span scale rubber power FF

Commodore 50" span C/L stunt model posted - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=501
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,

To the MAY 1994 issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover showing designer COLIN ESSEX and his winning scale prototype Jumbo Rubber Desoutter.

The Desoutta MK1 was the first featured build article and plan in this edition but unfortunately I was unable to scan it. It has superimposed photos.

Next to a SIMPLE SISKIN a profile scale rubber model by well known Aeromodeller contributor TREVOUR FAWLKNER.

The Siskin belongs to the between- wars- aviation “Golden Age” of aircraft and Trevor has come up with an attractive little indoor flyer with lots of character.

The construction article has all the details and the advice as always is to keep the weight down.

The next plan was to be found in ALEX IMRIE’S VINTAGE CORNER for NEL a 28 inch Vintage rubber duration model. This has already been posted by AEROMEDELLER and can be found here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...65873&page=274

Finally to SON OF CHUCKY a 12 inch Bi-Plane glider by B. MALLET.

A few scraps of balsa, a blob of plasticine. And a couple of hours at the building board and you can be in the air.

Cheers

Algy
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:29 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,177 Posts
Look what I found on HPA!

In the 1990's, a flyer at a UK indoor freeflight scale meeting brought along a rubber model of the Vickers-Armstrong Twin Spitfire NF XIVVIX-E, a secret project from 1947. Totally fictional, of course, but here's the scale documentation...
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,

Going to the October 1968 AEROMODELLER for free flight plans this time with the cover featuring the historic “Madame Elijah ” the first of Sir Francis Chichester’s Gypsy Moths in which he made many pioneering flights.

This was also the subject of a fine scale R/C plan and construction article. Unfortunately it is a two page plan and they are superimposed so am unable to scan.

But there was also a very nice free full size scale plan for the BEAGLE PUP 150 by JACK HEADLY.

For Free Flight or Radio Control Jack said the original aircraft is a perfect scale design with lots of dihedral and an adequate tail plane.

Of 36 inch span it is ideally suited to .8cc (.49) engines.

Next to Aircraft Described and P.Lloyd takes a detailed look at the Henkel HE162.

Cheers

Algy
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:56 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,102 Posts
Algy, that Beagle Pup is beautiful.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:29 PM
USA, WA, Ellensburg
Joined Mar 2004
206 Posts
Algy, thank you for the Beagle Pup plan and article. It is a nice plane. I am a bit surprised not to have seen or heard of more RC construction articles for the Beagle over the years as it is a nice looking plane.
Mooney_Driver is offline Find More Posts by Mooney_Driver
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Hi,

This time to the September 1964 and January 1963 AEROMODELLERS.

The cover of the 1964 edition has Frankie and David Butler showing keen interest in John Barkers A/1 Glider DOWNBEAT.

Feature article and plan in this issue was a lovely 40 inch power scale free flight HAWKER HURRICANE.

The model is a compromise between a detailed and sport plane with all outlines being accurate except for dihedral and tail area.

Designed by RICHARD MEIXELL this famous W.W.2 fighter would look an absolute delight in the air.

Full building and trimming details are in the article together with photos showing it to be strikingly realistic in appearance.

Next to the 1963 AEROMODELLER with the cover featuring a superb scale model of the Polish Air Force reconnaissance-bomber “WILK” by Ireneusz Pudelko seen at the Control Line World Championship at Kiev.

A simple sport power model was the subject of a free plan. It was DICK STOUFFER’S SIMPLETON .

Sort of an all balsa hand launched glider with some noise up front Dick said he built his in three hours flat.

Next to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and from the 64 Aeromodeller G.R. DUVAL looks closely at the perennial DOUGLS D.C.3.

Then from the 1963 edition with again G.R. DUVAL this time getting to grips with a very attractive scale subject the FAIRY FOX.

Cheers

Algy
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:06 AM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
245 Posts
I've had this one on my build list since I was a teenager back in 1965. It was a free plan back in 1965
Well having recently come across the plan again I've now built one and am still sorting it out.
I'm onto engine number 3
I had a Mills in it originally, but my mount was just a bit on the too heavy side.
I then reorganized the front end and used an Anderson Spitzy.
Got very close to flying but just didn't have enough power but the couple of flights I had showed promise.
It was a choice between a Wen Mac or a Black Widow.
I felt the Cox was just a bit too much so went with the Wen Mac.
Here it is then, the "Flying Washboard"
Enjoy.
raglafart is offline Find More Posts by raglafart
Last edited by raglafart; Sep 25, 2012 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Adding pdf file
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:10 AM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
245 Posts
Had another go at using CS3 to auto stitch the plan together and finally found how to make the files smaller and still maintain the quality thanks to the tutorial on Outerzone.
I think this is a better result.
Cheers John
raglafart is offline Find More Posts by raglafart
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:55 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
602 Posts
Model Aircraft May 1961

Compact 30" span beginners FF rubber model

Brewster Buffalo 14.5" span C/L a Ray Malstrom Wingmen plan - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=507

Yak 4 50" span twin engine C/L scale - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=507
fuselage plan with usual grey dot background wings on clear background. Perhaps someone who was in the print trade can tell us why the used the dotted background and the diagonal stripe background sometimes used is even worse.

Model Aircraft February 1962

Fairey Fulmar 30" span FF scale

Hellbender 64" span FF open power model

Vulcan 11" span FF jetex a Ray Malstrom Wingmen plan
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
Once again looking at two AEROMODELLERS from the 1960’s the July and April 1963 issues.

The cover of the July edition shows LAURY BAGLEY’S specifically commissioned painting of the famous Japanese fighter of WW11 the Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero-Sen.

One free flight model to be found inside was a full size centre fold for a scale Swiss 4 jet Fighter the Arbalate in the form of a catapult glider.

It said that although it is very simple in looks and design it can give the builder a “handsome surprise” in terms of performance.

Next to the April 1963 Aeromodeller with the cover this time featuring the Armstrong Whitworth Argosy then in service with the Royal Air Force Transport command.

The free flight full size centre plan was a trip back in time with 12 inch Indoor Flyer developed from an idea by Victor Fritz by David Call and Wm Hawkes..

Indoor Flyer would look great flying just below the ceiling with it’s kite shaped tailplane and the balsa prop whirring away.

To Aircraft Described with a detailed look taken of the Mitsubishi A6M5 ZERO-SEN by D.H.COOPER and the AIRCO D.H.5 by P.L.GRAY.

The little known AIRCO D.H.5 fighter biplane first saw action in France in May 1917 would make a great scale subject.

Cheers

Algy