SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:58 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi.
To the 1980’s and the 1984 February issue of Aeromodeller.

The cover this time shows John Kemp with his "Club Conquest" and Tony Penhall holding his “Sky Cat" while Jeane-Maries-Piednois winds his 1950’s Coupe D Hiva.

The first full size plan and article were for a model of a model being a half-size replica of RON WARRING’S ZOMBIE by BILL DENNIS.

The famous original Wakefield Class ZOMBIE dates from 1949 and was a classic Warring design..

This version was flown with an 8 inch plastic prop but Bill recommends a carved balsa prop for a lighter model with greater performance which can be flown in or outdoors.

It would be a great to see it in the air.

Next was IRONSIDES a 40 inch free flight low wing sportster by B.CRACKNELL.

Plans are full size and the build article will be a big help in construction and trimming.

It is for .5cc to .75cc engines.

Finally one of the great names in UK free flight competitions for many years DAVE HIPPERSON on OPEN SLOW POWER.

The article and plan will be great interest to a lot of free flight power modellers.

Gary sorry I do not have a copy of the April 1967 AEROMODELLER maybe some one else in this forum can help with the build article you are after.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Last edited by algy2; Nov 25, 2011 at 07:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:02 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Cheers Algy,

Hopefully someone else has it, I don't really need it but there might be some handy hints and tips there.

I've got a complete set of Aeromodeller mags from about 1972 to 1982 if anyone wants me to look for something.

GB
Gary Binnie is online now Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:24 PM
Joined Sep 2011
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Here's a neat little towline glider called Flamingo, a pretty recent design by Ricardo Marques Jr. of Brazil. 27" span.
Nice design. There is a thread, in Spanish but with lots of pictures, here:
http://www.e-voo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80061

Roger
rogerc41 is offline Find More Posts by rogerc41
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:41 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerc41 View Post
Nice design. There is a thread, in Spanish but with lots of pictures, here:
http://www.e-voo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80061
Brazilian Portuguese actually...

(no, I don't speak Portuguese)
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:39 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
Back to the war years and the November 1942 issue of AEROMODELLER..

The cover painting by RUPERT MOORE shows a dog fight taking place somewhere of the “Front”. Looks like three Bristol fighters and two Fokker Tri Planes.

First we head indoors with a BABY microfilm model by J. Maxwell.
The plan is half size and full building and trimming information are given.

Secondly was the JAY a very attractive flying scale model of a full sized Wakefield.

It was the work of M. GARNETT who said it has a flat glide and is of very robust construction. All these plans have full size formers and are of one third size so easy to blow up.

Something special next with a rubber scale MESSERSCHMITT ME 109F by A. ROSENFIELD. It looks a treat in the construction article photos with great attention given to detail.

The designer said it is capable of long fast flights. The plan even shows the layout for an authentic three bladed propeller.

Next to ARMANDS WAKEFIELD drawn by A.H.S.. It is of graceful streamlined appearance with a rubber sprung undercarriage.

The final free flight plan in the issue was the tow line glider “PUFFIN” designed by H.LINER.

No construction article was given but it is of basic simple construction with a diamond fuselage and the wings mounted on wing mounts above the fuselage.
Another model with a wonderful vintage look.

To a very ingenious way of flying free flight tow line gliders by yourself with the “One Man Glider Launch”

I have never seen anything like this before and thought well worth while passing along.

Finally another article for beginners to rubber power. A winding stand or jig. I built a similar one in the 1980’s. To be sure it would never pull out while winding I attached two guy ropes to take the strain. It works a treat and lasts a life time.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Nov 26, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:32 AM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,041 Posts
Algy - you continue to bring me much joy with your continued postings. Thank you.

Simon
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:18 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,405 Posts
ALGY2, any idea what the two free plans in the December 60 issue were? I very probably have them and if so I can scan them off and post them here.
Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:00 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Hi Simon,
glad you are enjoying the posts. Many more to come as I go backwards and forwards through the past decades.

Kiwi The two missing plans from my issue of Aeromodeller December 1960 were for 'SIMPLE SIMON" and "La MOUETTE"

Simple Simon was a control line model and would be out of place on this thread.

But "La Mouette" was an attractive A/1 glider by Czech modeller M.ZIKMUND. I have the construction article if you can the post the plan. The more the merrier.

Cheers

Algy
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:46 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2,405 Posts
I do have those plans but have not tried converting a plan to a PDF so I will find La Mouette during the week and have a go and will post it for all. I have the April 67 Aeromodeller so I'll also look out the article Gary was after.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined Jul 2011
182 Posts
Hello Kiwi please post the 'SIMPLE SIMON" plan in the Control plans thread if its not to much trouble I have been looking for that one a long time.
Ratracer is offline Find More Posts by Ratracer
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:34 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
SIMPLE SIMON" and "La MOUETTE"

The plans were lifted from the Zoe Quilter scan of the magazine on Colin Ushers site

http://www.colinusher.info/Model%20Aircraft/images.html

all I have done is straightened all the scans, made them all the same size and then stitched them together.
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Last edited by aeromeddeler; Nov 27, 2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: plans wrong size
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:40 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,405 Posts
Thanks, I was just going to post them but I can't do them as PDFs so they would have been as JPEGS
Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:36 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
This time it’s the July 1985 issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover featuring the three great full size plans to be found in this issue.

But first was a reproduction of CARL GOLDBERG’S 1934 indoor tractor record breaker plan. It set a time of 22m59.4secs. In Class C.

To the first full size free plan and a superb rendition of the HANRIOT HD-1 by BILL DENNIS. This is for CO2 or electric .

The HANRIOT was a latecomer to the 1914-1918 war with large numbers being produced and said to be a fine flyer.

Secondly was AGRO 11 designed by RICHARD PRESTON being a small sports rubber model.

I built and flew this model a few years ago and I was surprised at how well it performed. I had a lot of fun with it before giving it away for some one else to enjoy.

Finally something special again. This is Un HELICO a fascinating full size plan for a Peanut Helicopter by French master- modeller EMMANUAL FILLON.

It actually has a gearbox to divide the power between the rotor and tail rotor.

You get a full construction article and importantly how to go about trimming it to fly well.

Cheers

Algy
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:58 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromeddeler View Post
SIMPLE SIMON" and "La MOUETTE"

all I have done is straightened all the scans, made them all the same size and then stitched them together.
That is a nice pair: Simple Simon is simple and still has some character. La Mouette is pretty much the sort of glider I like: not too big, not too complex. I might be tempted to make a slimmer tail using some harder wood.

I think they'd need to be enlarged a bit to get to the intended size.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:15 AM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Plans wrong size

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
That is a nice pair: Simple Simon is simple and still has some character. La Mouette is pretty much the sort of glider I like: not too big, not too complex. I might be tempted to make a slimmer tail using some harder wood.

I think they'd need to be enlarged a bit to get to the intended size.
my fault it was such a pain getting all the scans to the same scale so that they could be stitched together i forgot to scale them up to full size. I have now done so and edited the post with the correct size plans. For those that do not wish to down load the revised plan the original plans as posted need to be increased in size by one third.
When Zoe scans the magazines she does so at a reasonable resolution in PNG format and then uses some form of reduction (i think her OS is linux). This makes her scans two thirds size but virtually renders most plans unsuitable for enlarging to full size. As the free plans are almost full size these can be enlarged.

I see Kiwi says he cannot do PDF`s. whilst there are several free programs out there to do this it is sometime difficult to reduce them to less than the 3Mb required by the posting rules of the site and of course JPG ect require even smaller files. If anyone has plans and want them converted to PDF I am more than willing to do so. Minimum dpi should be 300dpi and 600dpi is better email them to me (any graphic format) and I will convert to PDF and mail back to you to post on the group.
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Last edited by aeromeddeler; Nov 27, 2011 at 09:20 AM.