HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,

Turning to the JUNE 2000 AEROMODELLER with the cover showing the elegant ephemeropteric MAYFLY. Full details were in this issue.

“Raising Cane” was an article by GEOFF WASS, designer of MAYFLY, in which he explains his love affair with and use of Bamboo in flying models.

Quite a few people have asked how to work with this material and the article explains all. One to copy and keep in the reference library.

Geoff also includes the plans for MAYFLY built of bamboo and condenser paper and powered by a GASPARIN G24 CO2 motor. Fascinating stuff.

Next, as promised in my last post, ALBERT HATFULL’s MILLENNIUM MOTH companion model to the FELIX. They even share the same wing and tail.

MILLENNIUM MOTH . A charming rubber mini-vintage, flew straight from the builders hands and looks just right in the air.

Also in this issue JOHN BARKERS lightweight glider LULA was again featured. This has already been posted by me some time ago and can be found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0&postnum=5989

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Mar 2005
240 Posts
Is Kiwi still here? Back in 2007 Kiwi mentioned that the May(?) 1950 issue of AM had a 3-view or even a plan of the Winter LF1 Zaunkönig. I would be immensely grateful if he or anyone else would post that item.

Thanx in advance

Sam Agassiz
Sam Agassiz is online now Find More Posts by Sam Agassiz
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:14 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

HI,
We go to the MARCH 1997 edition with the cover showing the elegant Keil Kraft 1946 control line Hornet speed model. One of the many great articles to be found in this issue.

To the first plan feature and it was FILIP MIHAIL’s STABILOPLAN a very unusual tailless design that first flew in 1933.

It caught the eye of AL BACKSTROM who set about designing a 1/12th scale model for electric or CO2 power.

The plan was reproduced to a small scale but I have scanned it at 600 dpi and it will easily enlarge to full size. Wingspan is 291/2 inches.

Next to FOAM 200 by DAVE RIDGEWAY as we go indoors.

This is a simple foam flyer. The ideal introduction for those trying this type of flying for the first time.

Cheap and quick to build it looks like a lot of fun. Dave also shows a novel way to make props that could be applied to other rubber models.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Aug 24, 2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:00 AM
yes, its a flying lamb :)
Bitola, Republic of Macedonia
Joined Apr 2009
532 Posts
Do you happen to have an article or a plan for the model on the cover?
It caught my eye almost instantly! I shouldn't be too hard to use the plans for a rubber version. Sporty looking plane.
draganbt is offline Find More Posts by draganbt
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:46 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Agassiz View Post
Is Kiwi still here? Back in 2007 Kiwi mentioned that the May(?) 1950 issue of AM had a 3-view or even a plan of the Winter LF1 Zaunkönig. I would be immensely grateful if he or anyone else would post that item.

Thanx in advance

Sam Agassiz
Found this plan source
http://www.key.oakwebshop.co.uk/prod...ctCode/PLAN298
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Mar 2005
240 Posts
@ Rick Benjamin, #560:

Thank you kindly :-) I'm particularly interested in the AM item, hoping that it was a part of AM's wonderful "Aircraft Described" series c/w scale drawing. My discovery of AM came in '53 or '54, and spelling my way from cover to cover with a dictionary at my side was a major factor in my learing the language I now call my own :-)

Think of what a splendid R/C trainer the Zaunkönig could be. Slow by nature, stable by nature - a perfect subject for a F/F model with "radio override" :-)

At 1½" to the foot, the span would be 39 ¾" which might be a tad on the small side, but then it was a tiny aircraft. 2" to the foot would give a span of 52 ¾" which might be better for a trainer. Aspect Ratio is 8.6:1 which is approaching that of a F/F soarer of the glory years of the '50s and '60s, so a concept is evolving for a F/F auxiliary powered glider with "radio override". Maybe a nice undercambered foil as on the "Aurikel"?

Such a thing should be nearly fool-proof :-)!

Cheers

Sam
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi Draganbt,

I have posted the article and plan on the Keil Kraft “THE HORNET over on the Control Line thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/control-line-63/

Hope it is of help.

Cheers

Algy
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:13 AM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
@ Rick Benjamin, #560:

Thank you kindly :-) I'm particularly interested in the AM item, hoping that it was a part of AM's wonderful "Aircraft Described" series c/w scale drawing. My discovery of AM came in '53 or '54, and spelling my way from cover to cover with a dictionary at my side was a major factor in my learing the language I now call my own :-)

Think of what a splendid R/C trainer the Zaunkönig could be. Slow by nature, stable by nature - a perfect subject for a F/F model with "radio override" :-)

At 1½" to the foot, the span would be 39 ¾" which might be a tad on the small side, but then it was a tiny aircraft. 2" to the foot would give a span of 52 ¾" which might be better for a trainer. Aspect Ratio is 8.6:1 which is approaching that of a F/F soarer of the glory years of the '50s and '60s, so a concept is evolving for a F/F auxiliary powered glider with "radio override". Maybe a nice undercambered foil as on the "Aurikel"?

Cheers

Sam
Algy has already posted the Zaunknoig aircraft described it was in the september 1950 issue of Aeromodeller. I found this on my hard drive, not sure were it came from. It is the plan and the aircraft described article. Not sure why Algy never posted the plan perhaps he or another member of the group with this issue can upload a higher resolution scan. In the meantime I have scaled the plan to full size, not very nice but a least you can get an idea of the plan. I have put it through Isiplot and it is just readable to build from .
have deleted the attachments as far better scans are available in the next few posts.
Also Traplet do a plan and kit for a 53" version http://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=2763
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Last edited by aeromeddeler; Aug 27, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plan scans

Hi Sam,

Here is the ZAUNKONIG article and plan you were after from the September 1950 issue of AEROMODELLER. Thought I had already posted it but apparently not.

Have scanned the plan at the highest resolution I can and still be able to upload it.

To further assist you I have reposted the same aircraft from the “AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED “ series to give you some scale documentation.

Cheers

Algy
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Mar 2005
240 Posts
@ Aeromeddeler # 563 and Algy2 #564

Wunderbar :-)! I thank both of you gentlemen very, very much. What a splendid resource this group is, not least thanks to you two.

The more I think about the Zaunkönig as a totally docile trainer the more I like the idea. It will be # three on the list.

Thanks again

Sam
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:55 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
@ Aeromeddeler # 563 and Algy2 #564

Wunderbar :-)! I thank both of you gentlemen very, very much. What a splendid resource this group is, not least thanks to you two.

The more I think about the Zaunkönig as a totally docile trainer the more I like the idea. It will be # three on the list.

Thanks again

Sam
Yes thanks Algy for sorting this one out so quick. This plan was from the era when they were being published on a diagonal stripe background. I have yet to find a way of suitably lightening or removing most of this background without seriously compromising the clarity of the plan. So to get a clear plan its either painstakenly erasing the background or trace and convert to CAD. So I have just enlarged the plan to full size as is. Still looks good to me. I have plans from this era I cannot remember any of the full size ones with this background. I do remember (in fact I still have) the blueprint variety and some of those were not very pretty.
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:39 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plan scans

Hi,
This time it is the November issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover showing the WESTWINGS 35 inch “MERLIN” glider used in a featured beginners series that started in this edition

First to ALEX IMRIE’S ever popular VINTAGE CORNER where a “BALSA” low-wing rubber model was discussed. This dates from 1933 when described in POPULAR FLYING.

Next to the first of the full size free flight plans. The MAGEE CHALLENGER was a lesser-known aircraft of the 1920’s and PETER MILLER has come up with a nice 23” span plan for CO2 engines or electric.

The structure is very lightweight and I guess it would easily convert to rubber power as well.

MARK BEES was next with “THE BUG” a simple to build all sheet 191/2” span CO2 sporster.

In fact it is so simple that Mark said it can be built in as little as two to three hours.

Finally to a high performance miniature Chuck Glider the design work of “GRAY”.

It is only 14 inches in span and it is hard to believe it looking at the plan but a top performance is claimed with one young modeller not knowing whether to laugh or cry when his disappeared out of sight.

“Grey” said it is for those with no chucky experience and detailed trimming advice is given in the construction article.

Cheers

Algy
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Tiggy plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawang View Post
Hey folks.
I don't know where I got these from but if someone can stitch them together and purdy them up.
I hope this is the right plan mentioned in previous posts.
It looks like a great plan and one that is now on my short list.
Mind you my short list is at about 100+ and counting.

Andy
Good job man, even in pieces and thanks for the efforts of the stitcher as well. These bigger beauties are what I like. I have made promises of contributions in that larger thread. I love the Cub, Tiger Moth and Fox Moth additions amongst the rest. That big Taylorcraft is a beauty. What a plan for E Power as well. I had a Porterfield Collegiate. It was built by a Club member who passed. Bun made the best models. I wish I could find that 80+ m/l inch span plan to build another Collegiate. Looked like a ModelBuilder plan maybe. Removeable wings and very light with a built up cowl. I wish I never sold it but couldn't take it on the road.

Great plans guys and excellent reworking of such when it matters the most.

Bill
bee banger is offline Find More Posts by bee banger
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:15 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
This time it is November and the 1991 edition of AEROMODELLER where the cover shows a proud PAUL HOWKINS displaying his two-and-a-half times “SHRIMPO” at a Vintage Weekend in the UK.

This issue contains a veritable potpourri of free flight plans with the first to be found in ALEX IMRIE’S VINTAGE CORNER feature.

It was the legendary JOE OTT Vintage scale rubber powered STINSON CITY OF CHIGAGO.

As Alex mentions all the details are there for anyone to recreate an authentic part of modelling history.

Next to a special feature on the COUP D”HIVER by TREVOUR GREY and one of the plans here was PETER GASSON’S WINTER QUEEN.

WINTER QUEEN was first published in the 1963/63 AEROMODELLER ANNUAL.

Another special feature of this issue was by DAVE HIPPERSON who took a quick look at top glider designs. Here was to be found plans for two competition A1 & A2 models by ALAN GIBBS.

Finally to the centre free full size rubber model plan by MARK BEES for the SWIFT.

Swift comes in at 22 inch wingspan and can be flown both in and outdoors.

There is no construction article but being of a simple design most would have no difficulty building their own.

Cheers

Algy
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:44 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,399 Posts
Quote:
@ Rick Benjamin, #560:

Cheers

Sam
Yep Sam, I'm still here, I'll go out to the workshop in the morning and have a look for you.
I'll let you know the outcome

Oops, just read the later posts, looks like I don't need to look it out at all!
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi