HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:33 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,168 Posts
That is interesting. I wonder if you could make it fully RC controlled (elevator/rudder also) and watch the model turning - from outside the circle. Not the same category or spirit, of course, but no dizziness at all.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:05 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmutlugil View Post
Thanks, I remember now. That technique must be dead and gone (DAG) by now

I wonder if any electric CL models are flown, it is easier now with the new batteries. That assuming CL is still flown - I guess it is mostly dead in this country.
Not really on-topic for this Free Flight forum but if you go over to the Control Line forum you'll find lots of people flying electric control line these days. In fact several competitors in the last few aerobatic World Championships used electric power.

Oh and I even still occasionally dig my old RTP gear out and have a nostalgic and fun-filled evening at the club house . Sometimes we'll take a few sheets of balsa (or depron) and a few motors along and have a "Build 'em and fly 'em inside an hour" competition.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:16 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,168 Posts
Sorry to go off-topic. My mind flies RTP also, I guess..

About RTP flight, how is the model controlled? Is electrical power varied to change altitude?

Build and fly in an hour reminds me somewhat of in-contest repair jobs on my damaged Wakefield models, 'rebuild in a few hours' style - even did that on international contests. During a European championship in Germany, only my model hit the high tension electric power lines close by, but flew again after repairs.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:12 PM
Recycled Modeller
Dungiven, Northern Ireland
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Would anyone have the plan, and possibly parts scans, for the old Contest Kits "Cresta" low wing f/f model?
Wilf is offline Find More Posts by Wilf
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:46 PM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,037 Posts
RTP may be a minority interest but it isn't dead.
See here for supplies:

http://www.ballardshop.com/
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:10 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Must have had a senior moment the other day posting a C/L and a RTP plan in this thread.
Only have a few more Model Aircraft plans to post couple of FF and the rest C/L.

Have a few plans from the French RMA but again many are R/C so unsure were to post. anyway here is a nice looking one. Text is in French. And before you ask......... at the time of publication they were using a weird wood sizeing system based on the metric wood sizes available so when you see wood sizes give in the format X/Y divide the X by Y to get the square metric wood size. (eg 9/3 =3mm square.)

Alize approx 60" span cabin model
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Last edited by aeromeddeler; Aug 16, 2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: keyboard malfunctiuon it kept spelling words wong (see)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:39 AM
Vertically Challenged...
Ash Vale Hampshire UK
Joined Jul 2004
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilf View Post
Would anyone have the plan, and possibly parts scans, for the old Contest Kits "Cresta" low wing f/f model?
This chap has that plan and parts:

http://www.model-plans.co.uk/

I.ve bought lots of plans from him, very good to deal with.

Bert
Cody's Neighbour is offline Find More Posts by Cody's Neighbour
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:33 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
To AEROMODELLER November 1979 where we move indoors for a tasty scale peanut model from the Maestro himself WALT MOONEY.

This is the Harry Butler WW1 Bristol M 1C. It was used mainly in the Middle East as an advanced trainer but also operationally in Mesopotamia with 72 Squadron and 150 Squadron in Salonika

Designed and first flown in 1917 it had a then excellent speed of 130 mph but did not fight on the Western Front. Some at the time thought it’s landing speed was to high making it unsuitable for France.

The model, which features a laminated propeller while not having a great duration would look a delight in the air. Full colour information is on the plan.

Next to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and A.A.P Lloyd has a very close look at the acrobatic single seat AKROSTAR designed by Arnold Wagner and Herman Nagal.

Believe it or not the wing flaps used on some control line models were the inspiration for this much discussed design.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Last edited by algy2; Aug 18, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:42 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To AEROMODELLER AUGUST 1996 with the cover featuring two great models.

The first is a one to one “Ali” from Richmond America proudly designed by her Mum an Dad.

Oh, yes, and the second is a YAK 15 ducted fan scale free flight model

The first free flight plan was for the YAK-15/17 by RON BADDORF.

This is a rather an impressive 37” wingspan model powered by the Hi-Line Blue Flame Blaster unit.

The construction article gives all the detail with Ron advising once again that the lighter you build the better it will fly.

He said it is most gratifying and realistic to watch as it flies by.

Next the first of two full size free flight plans the ELECTRIC CARDINAL by COLIN SMITH son of the original VERON CARDINAL designer PHIL SMITH..

The VERON model had a wingspan of 35 inches while this version comes in at 25 inches making it also suitable for a CO2 motor.

Colin said he scaled it down almost exactly and it created a lot of interest at his local flying field when ever flown

The second full size plan takes us indoors with TERRAPLANE a contest chuck glider by KEVIN BROWN.

Much use is made of Depron in the construction with Kevin advising it is user friendly . Full trimming details are given.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Aug 19, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:01 PM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,037 Posts
Welcome back Algy - you have been sorely missed!

Thanks also for the latest round of plans. Now I know where the Yak originated. I had bought this plan from Uncle Willie. I'll post his rendition below.
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:32 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
Thanks’ for the kind words Modelholic and the Uncle Willie post.

This time we look at the November 1988 issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover showing RON TRUELOVE’S control line show stopper an impressive Heinkel 51B in Spanish livery.

The search for free flight plans takes us to the full size centre fold outs with the first being LITTLE KID by PETER SPENCE.

Peter has reduced a French vintage 1941 favourite, Le KID designed by M. BOUGUERET, down to 22 inch wingspan for CO2 or electric power.

LITTLE KID would make a great looking model with it’s vintage look and Peter, who has built many different size versions says it is a top performer.

Lucky for us the Anglicized version of the plan, THE KID which appeared in the July 1947 issue of Model Aircraft, was reproduced along with the construction article . Although greatly reduced I scanned it at my highest setting and it should blow up nicely to full size. Wingspan is 44 inches.

So you have the choice of building the original model or the smaller CO2 version or both then been able to take your kids for a flight!

The other free full size plan THE LITTLEST VAGABOND OF ALL was another reduced CO2 vintage model of VAGABOND by TONY BROOKS.

This has already been posted and can be found here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9&postnum=3878

While the original Vintage VAGABOND was posted here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7&postnum=3851

Cheers

Algy
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:11 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,129 Posts
Good to have you back Algy. I had a go at resizing the Kid plan up to 44in span, I hope this is full size now. Nice old plan. Very pleasing lines.
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:41 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
And its a welcome back Algy from me. Your posts are filling in quite a few blanks in my Aeromodeller plan files. Notice that you do not normally post the C/L plans plus sometimes there is a small illustration of an old plan as well. In the August 1996 issue there was the much reduced plan for King Burd n vintage corner.. Will have a look at other issues you have posted that I have already scanned and see if there are any more.

King Burd 56" Span FF beleive original 1938 vintage.

Last ones from Model Aircraft. Do have a few unscanned copies when I sort them out I will post them.

Altagerra 56" Span C/L stunt from Model Aircraft September 1961 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=468

Beatnik 56" span open Class Power FF from Model Aircraft June 1960

Ellipitas 36" span C/L Trainer from Model Aircraft October 1961 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=468

Karin 45" span contest winning rubber FF rom Model Aircraft November 1962

All other plans from these issues have already been posted and can be found on the outerzone site.
Last edited by aeromeddeler; Aug 21, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
It’s Christmas time with this December 1998 edition of Aeromodeller which as usual at that time of the year was packed with great articles and lots of plans.

The cover shows the exuberant Ebenezer endeavours of enthusiasts at a Mass Launch competition at Old Warden that year. An Ebenezer was one of the plans in this issue.

But first to POLKA DOT 24 a competitive hand launched glider by acknowledge expert LEVIN BROWN.

POLKA DOT 24 was state of the art at that time and features a pop up wing dethermaliser. In the accompanying article Kevin gives much good advice on these models and how to get the best from them.

Next to EBENEZER ALBATROSS a thinner look at a classic WW1 German fighter.

Designer MARIS DISLER said it is quick to build, a pleasure to decorate and great fun to fly. Plans are full size. Put a 0.5cc engine up front and your set to go.

The name of ALBERT HATFULL, the designer of so many KEIL KRAFT kits and classic free flight models is familiar to a great many modellers. Sadly he is no longer with us.

But this issue has full size plans for FELIX a 1939 mini-vintage pylon rubber model by Albert and a tribute is paid to him with the construction article.

A charming model of 221/4 inch wingspan it will, I think soon be on many “Build” lists.

I will put up the companion model to FELEX by Albert, the MELLENIUM MOTH from the JUNE 2000 AEROMODELLER in my next post.

To two more full size plans from the quirky RAY MALSTOM were to be found in this Christmas issue with CRI-CRI a very small rubber powered flying twin and FLYING SANTA a rrrr mmmmmm Jetex flying Santa.

Finally to ALIX IMRIE’S VINTAGE CORNER and the amazing FLYING WISHBONE by ALAN ORTHER which first appeared in the 1939 MECHANIX ILLUSTRATED.

WMD. Great job on resizing THE KID plan. It is a very appealing design able to take a wide range of power units. Has a proven contest record and it would be very easy to add a Dethermaliser. Might just start seeing THE KID appearing on flying fields again soon .

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Aug 21, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:33 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
These are not my scans but taken from the scans of the magazine by Zoe Quilter and held on Colin Ushers site. These have then been worked on by me.
http://www.colinusher.info/Model%20Aircraft/images.html

Will look at more of images on the site and see what else can be used.

Model Aircraft January 1958

Scimitar 45"span C/L stunt http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=470

FW 190 25" span scale C/L team racer http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=470

Small Talk 29" Span FF sportster