HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 06:48 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Large elastic driven model

Hi George,

Glad to be of help.

The span on the version of the L.E.D.M model that DON KNIGHT built was given as 102 inches while the span of the original plan published in VIC SMEED’S MODEL FLYING THE FIRST FIFTY YEARS is given as 8 foot 7 1/2 inches or 103 . Not a great deal of difference. My post gave the correct given wingspan of Don’s version.

To help you further I have scanned the article on Don’s machine from the July 1992 Aeromodeller. In it it says that the original plan together with some construction notes was published in the February 1939 AEROMODELLER. Sorry do not have the issue so cannot pass it along. Others may be able to help.

Don does say he wanted to capture the spirit of the model rather then follow the drawings slavishly and did make a few changes. So ignore the comment by AppleHoney.

Your getting closer. Best of luck.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Last edited by algy2; Jul 02, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:52 PM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
263 Posts
Unusual not to see a new plan for a while, hope all is okay with Algy and Aeromeddler
raglafart is offline Find More Posts by raglafart
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:18 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
> So ignore the comment by AppleHoney.

Who is curious as to which comment is to be ignored as I've only made one post here in a least three months .. and that was concerning my 'Druid' A/1's....
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:00 AM
Oldrndrt RCav8r
United States, OK, Ardmore
Joined May 2009
55 Posts
crossed up posting

Applehoney,

The comment by algy, which looked "out of place", because there was no recent post by yourself, was merely a response to a message I posted on the previous page of this thread (quoting one of your posts as well as one of his - algy's).

Sorry if my post caused any consternation! I had posted a request for additional info and had "multi-quoted" both algy's original post and your comment about that post from May 31st, on page 29 of this thread...it was my fault (my post showed up on page 34, referencing two posts on page 29).

Algy was making reference to your post only because I had, and because [in the context I posted it] it wasn't as relevant to the info I sought as I originally thought...confused yet?!?

Thanks for the info algy!

Have a Blessed Day all!
George
georgewaldrop is offline Find More Posts by georgewaldrop
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:06 AM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Is this guy allright?
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:42 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewaldrop View Post
Applehoney,

The comment by algy, which looked "out of place", because there was no recent post by yourself, was merely a response to a message I posted on the previous page of this thread (quoting one of your posts as well as one of his - algy's).

Sorry if my post caused any consternation! I had posted a request for additional info and had "multi-quoted" both algy's original post and your comment about that post from May 31st, on page 29 of this thread...it was my fault (my post showed up on page 34, referencing two posts on page 29).

Algy was making reference to your post only because I had, and because [in the context I posted it] it wasn't as relevant to the info I sought as I originally thought...confused yet?!?

Thanks for the info algy!

Have a Blessed Day all!
George
eh?
kkphantom is online now Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:16 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,131 Posts
As far as I can tell, here on page 29 - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=428 - Applehoney said the LEDM wasn't enlarged. Which seems correct, and not something that should be ignored.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:33 AM
Oldrndrt RCav8r
United States, OK, Ardmore
Joined May 2009
55 Posts
Yup, total confusion!

Lol!!

Applehoney,

My comment (and I think algy's, but that is JMHO) was not a slam or discredit of your comment as you originally posted it (otherwise I believe algy would have commented on it 6 weeks ago when you posted it), rather the fact that while the article specifies that Mr. Knight took minor liberties with the design/construction of the model to improve it's performance and/or construction, and also states his model had a span of 8 1/2 feet (the statement could be in error, could be an authors liberties [in rounding actual numbers] or could be factual)...the plans published in the earlier publication [Vic Smeeds book] specify a wingspan of 8 feet 7 1/2 inches - only slightly larger, but larger nonetheless.

These facts [would seem to, at least on the surface] render a comment that Don Knight built according to the plans, incorrect...the portion of the comment that specifies that Don Knight didn't enlarge the model would seem accurate...

I DID NOT intend to discredit your statement...I had asked algy a couple questions about the model, and had quoted your comment also....I did that because, for some reason I misread something somewhere that made me think Don Knight had built it much smaller than the original, but had enlarged the scale drawings in Vic Smeed's book to develop the plans he [Don Knight] built from...

I know this sounds a hoot, and it truly is a poor reflection on my cognitive skills (or lack thereof!), but I believe algy was only commenting on your comment in the context I threw it to him. I'll end here, because I am getting more confused by the minute!

Please forgive me if I misrepresented your comment for it truly wasn't intentional.

Back to the great thread I have skillfully splintered.

flight999 & kkphantom, I'll be fine...really I will!

WMD, I think you are correct...really no-ones comments should be ignored...some may need to be corrected, but not ignored.

Have a Blessed Day All!
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2 View Post
Hi George,

Glad to be of help.

The span on the version of the L.E.D.M model that DON KNIGHT built was given as 102 inches while the span of the original plan published in VIC SMEED’S MODEL FLYING THE FIRST FIFTY YEARS is given as 8 foot 7 1/2 inches or 103 . Not a great deal of difference. My post gave the correct given wingspan of Don’s version.

To help you further I have scanned the article on Don’s machine from the July 1992 Aeromodeller. In it it says that the original plan together with some construction notes was published in the February 1939 AEROMODELLER. Sorry do not have the issue so cannot pass it along. Others may be able to help.

Don does say he wanted to capture the spirit of the model rather then follow the drawings slavishly and did make a few changes. So ignore the comment by AppleHoney.

Your getting closer. Best of luck.

Cheers

Algy
georgewaldrop is offline Find More Posts by georgewaldrop
Last edited by georgewaldrop; Jul 18, 2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:01 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Had my orders and been decorating so bit knackered to rejig my scans to PDF`s of a suitable size. More soon

Model Aircraft October 1957

Yeti 2 42"span A1 glider for slope or tow.

Also in this issue Tramp 36" span u-build hight wing, low wing, biplane ect ect. allready posted http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1088

Model Aircraft November 1957

Nakajima Tenzan (Jill) 26" span C/L scale. This is already on the outerzone site but is a low resolution scan. This is of course a 300
dpi full size plan with original article. As C/L have posted on C/L site. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=439
also in this issue were Scoot a 16" span C/L trainer and Gengangaren a 29" span C/L racer both have already been posted and can be found on the outerzone site http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1871 and http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1870

Model Aircraft February 1958

Walkin Shoes 88" span FF glider

Nieuport Scout 24" span FF scale
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Last edited by aeromeddeler; Jul 20, 2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: bad links
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Aug 2010
72 Posts
Hi All
I would like to thank Aeromeddeler for the plan of the Nieuport Scout plan. (I can feel an electric coversion coming on.) In fact I would like to thank all who have made a contribution to this magnificent collection.
helmsman is offline Find More Posts by helmsman
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Model Aircraft JULY 1958

Aerocommander 560 42" span C/L twin scale posted in C/L thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=440

Aeronca C3 36" span FF scale

Washboard 31" span FF delta
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:47 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,131 Posts
I love the Aeronca. Nice work, aeromeddler - good to have you back.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Aug 2010
72 Posts
Well Mr Aeromeddler you have done it again. A couple of crackers.
helmsman is offline Find More Posts by helmsman
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:59 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Model Aircraft August 1958

K18 78" span A2 Glider

Komm Batt 41" span C/l Combat **

Sky Viking 17" span semi scale C/L Ray malstrom`s usual jigsaw puzzle of a plan. With the added attraction of jet assisted take off? **

ModelAircraft February 1959

Railcar 66" span single channel beginners R/C

Saab18A 40"span twin engined scale C/l already posted can be found at http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1225

Satelite 43" span semi scale C/L stunt already posted http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1226

Model Aircraft March 1959

Late Nite Final 40" span beginners rubber powered competition model. Upgade to plan from 50+ already posted on outerzone This is my scan of plan and article. Plan now full size.

Pic 22.5" span and Choose 18" span C/L stunt and combat for the control line beginner. **

The C/L models marked ** can be found at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=445
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:38 AM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Those were the days !
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999