HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2012, 09:12 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,565 Posts
Several 'Druids' served me well over the years and it was pleasing to hear from other builders of contest successes.

Here's the one shewn in the article that got away into the Canadian forests ... and another also ultimately lost in NY.

I still have the flying surfaces of the original (third pic) in good shape (though covering was renewed) but the '60's fuselage finally succumbed to age, wear and tear. Unfortunatly there are no A/1 events in the area these days so I haven't replaced it to date

JM
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 02:14 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
This time its is the 1993 February issue of AEROMODELLER with the cover showing a finished CZECHOSLOVAKIAN kit for a scale rubber JODEL Be Be 7 then on the market. It was also featured in one of the many great articles to found in this edition.

But first part three and final in the series by ANDY SEPHTON on PISTACHIO models from the June 1993 AEROMODELLER. In it Andy tells how to cover, finish and fly these tiny models. Methinks you would need the eye of an eagle, the steady hand of a surgeon and nerves of steel to build one of these.

Thanks also to SCRUBS who provided a link to a lot of information on the Vintage French Wakefield “LE VIBRANT” plan a posted a short time ago,

This offers very useful information on some gentle modifications using a more recently built version. Seems it really is a top performing model but rather rare on the flying field. Hope SCRUBS starts a build thread on his proposed half size version and can post the plan.

The first free flight model in this issue was another very rare one. The Vintage Wakefield BLACK DIAMOND by JIM FULLARTON.

This was Australia’s entrant in the 1934 UK Wakefield Cup and Jim himself gives the full story of what happened together with a build article.

The plan was printed without the wingspan given and clipped slightly on the top left hand corner. Hopefully someone can provide the true wingspan and a correctly sized plan can be made.

Finally to full size plans for BANSHEE BABEE by the legendary VIC SMEED heavily based on the classic LEON SCHULLMAN’S BANSHEE that burst onto the modelling scene in the 1940’s.

Vic’s version is 2/3rd size and has a flight pattern very like the original. Of 33.3” wingspan it can be powered by any .5 to 1cc motor.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Last edited by algy2; May 28, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined Oct 2011
10 Posts
Re: Fullarton's 'Black Diamond'

Re: Fullarton's 'Black Diamond' :-

Wing span is 41", and the original name of the model is 'Jimmy F'
From the Australian Free Flight Plans website,

http://www.kurrawong.net/affp/_plans...design0418.pdf

This whole site is a goldmine of old plans...
Home page here,

http://www.kurrawong.net/affp/index.php

cheers,
Robin.
robunos is offline Find More Posts by robunos
Old May 28, 2012, 05:03 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,454 Posts
Some may like to hear, back in March of this year I had dinner with Jim and few other Free Flight fliers from the Melbourne based VFFS...... Victorian Free Flight Society.

Jim is now in his mid 90s and is in very good health and still flies Free Flight.

Guess that's Free Flight for you.
gossie is online now Find More Posts by gossie
Old May 28, 2012, 06:41 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie View Post
Jim is now in his mid 90s and is in very good health and still flies Free Flight....Guess that's Free Flight for you.
Joking apart, I am convinced that having something to keep you mentally active in your later years is more than half the battle to a long life. The skills and problem solving demands of modelling is absolutely the right thing for keeping the little grey cells fit. Couple that with the outdoor life which I assume will be typical of Australian aeromodelling, and its no surprise.

Good health, Jim!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old May 28, 2012, 08:33 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,249 Posts
Thanks for the Black Diamond Algy. Nice looking vintage wake. Here is the US the FAC club started flying half wakes last year. Rules are 1950 cutoff, half sized, original construction, and a minimum weight of one ounce. Intended as a small field event and with the ounce minimum on about 50 square inches of wing it is.

Dave P sells the plans I'll build from so I can't post. He has a list of vintage 8 oz wakes he's drawn up at half size for the FAC event. Very reasonable, $5 PP in the US.

Here's the TYKE from the vintage thread. No longer legal for FAC since it dates to 52. Needs to lose that plastic prop. :-)

scrubs
scrubs is online now Find More Posts by scrubs
Old May 28, 2012, 02:55 PM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robunos View Post
Re: Fullarton's 'Black Diamond' :-

Wing span is 41", and the original name of the model is 'Jimmy F'
From the Australian Free Flight Plans website,

cheers,
Robin.
I've also used the adobe measuring tool, the width of the TE on the scaled plan is .05" which indicates the plan is 1/5h scale. Scaling the wing gives 41.25". Pretty close to the 41" you've mentioned Robin. Many thanks

Al
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Old May 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs View Post
Here's the TYKE from the vintage thread. No longer legal for FAC since it dates to 52. Needs to lose that plastic prop. :-)
Nice photo. Am I missing something, I looked but can't find the Tyke plan in the index?
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old May 28, 2012, 09:49 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Nice photo. Am I missing something, I looked but can't find the Tyke plan in the index?
WMD,
You're right of course. I've been collecting wake plans from a number of different sites. May have been hippocket's plans stash. In any case I worked off these. Not even pdfs. I chose to change the plan to match the photo of the modified version.

scrubs
scrubs is online now Find More Posts by scrubs
Old May 30, 2012, 03:33 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
We go to December 1985 for this look at Aeromodeller.

The cover shows a magnificent painting by Aviation artist Chris Golds of a Fokker D V11. It was also the subject of two of the many articles to be found inside as well as a full size plan.

In fact it was the first free flight plan being an Ebenzer FOKKER D V11 by JOHN WATTERS.

Wingspan is 21 inches and its suitable for .5cc engines. As usual with Ebenezer’s construction is simple and John made his in a week of evenings, All the details are in the construction article.

Another full size free flight plan in this issue was VIC SMEEDS POPPET. This and the build article have already been posted by Kenny E and can be found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0&postnum=5087

Going next to a tasty plan for a rubber powered scale P.38 F LIGHTNING the work of RICHARD FALCONER.

Rubber powered twins have long held a fascination for a lot of aero modellers and this is a great example.

Richard said it had an exciting but long and dangerous career . All is explained in the unusually well detailed build guide.

In my next post I will include a full article on rubber powered twins.

Next to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and HARRY ROBINSON sketches the development of the highly acclaimed World War 1 fighter the FOKKER D V11.

Finally to top it off ALEX IMRIE of “Vintage Corner” fame explains some colourful history of the Fokker and much information on correct markings.

Thanks to Gossie for letting us know the designer and builder of Australia’s entrant in the 1934 UK Wakefield Cup BLACK DIAMOND, JIM FULLARTON is still with us in good health and flying Free Flight in his mid 90’s. Incredible. There is hope for all of us.

Also to SCRUBS for explaining the new half size Wakefield class in the US. Great looking Wakefield the TYKE as well. I agree a nicely carved balsa prop as per the original lifts any an old time rubber model to another level.

Cheers

Algy
Old May 31, 2012, 06:35 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Model Aircraft August 1955

Chaletma 48" span FF rubber

Short Seamew 36.5" span FF scale

Model Aircraft October 1955

Oberon 58" span FF TLG

Gemini 36" span C/L twin scale /sport http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=400
aeromeddeler is online now Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old May 31, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
Staying in the 1980’s with the May 1987 issue of AEROMODELLER the cover showing Charlie Newman's elegant Breguet 693 for rubber power.

To tie in with my previous post of the scale P.38 Lightning twin rubber model plan was a very useful article on the subject of twins giving all sorts of advice and some great photos to inspire.

Next to the free full size plans and STEALTH.

Stealth F-19, designed by JOHN EMMETT is a super secret fighter for JET X 50 power .

It has a graceful and appealing outline and according to John conventional to build and performs quite delightfully.

If only some one would start making the JET X motors again.

To a very nice scale rubber model of the Twenties racer the BRISTOL M.1D hot from the drawing board of BILL DENNIS.

This has long been a popular scale subject and the M.1D version was powered by a Bristol Lucifer engine saving the making of an enormous spinner and giving the opportunity to add a little bling up front.

Bill designed it for rubber but suggests it would also be very suitable for CO2 power with useful weight savings to be made.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; May 31, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

. . . . . . .
Last edited by algy2; Jun 02, 2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:06 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
HI,
To the February 1982 AEROMODELLER with the cover showing W. SWINDLES posing with the perennial favourite a free flight JUNIOR 60. This one with radio and OS powered.

The first free flight plan was by VIC SMEED. It’s the MISS 38 a vintage style model that can also be used with radio assist.
This is a very attractive model as with all Vic Smeed designs and with 45 inch wingspan a practical size to fit in the car before heading to the flying field.

It has been posted before but only as a poor quality JPeg not suitable I imagine to enlarge as a workable plan. It was printed at 1/7th scale.

Finally to the centrefold full size plan for a scale CO2 D.H. TIGER MOTH.

This is by STAN COLE who said he had built several “Tiggies” over the years putting all that experience into creating a model that truly captures the feel and character of the thoro’ bred .

The finished 18 ”span model “weighed in” at 2oz and in the air was ridiculously stable.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Jun 02, 2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:19 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Hi.
Sorry about the double post. Could not work our how to erase the first sent mistakenly without attachments.

Cheers

Algy