1,041 Posts
Many, many thanks Algy.
Modelholic is online now Find More Posts by Modelholic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:04 AM
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
Vintage aeromodelling magazine and plan source

My mistake guys, and my apologies!!!!!!!

I mistyped the address for old aeromodelling magazines and plans!

It should have been www.aeromdellerinfo.co.uk - Sorry!
Deadkeen is offline Find More Posts by Deadkeen
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:07 AM
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
My mistake! Apologies!
Deadkeen is offline Find More Posts by Deadkeen
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:34 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
581 Posts
DEADKEEN; please dont apologise - personally I really appreciate the effort.

In fact I really appreciate everything everyone posts here. For me it is a bit of a nostalgia trip as some of these plans are the ones I used to drool over as a boy and either didnt have the ability or the cash to build. Now I can!!

Thanks again

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:08 AM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Winstanley View Post
DEADKEEN; please dont apologise - personally I really appreciate the effort.

In fact I really appreciate everything everyone posts here. For me it is a bit of a nostalgia trip as some of these plans are the ones I used to drool over as a boy and either didnt have the ability or the cash to build. Now I can!!

Thanks again

Mark.
Loads more to drool over here

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/

By the way a full size plan ofthe excellent Boeing XL-15 FF plan from Aeromodeller and a link to the acompanying article can be found here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3257
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Last edited by aeromeddeler; Nov 19, 2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:24 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,354 Posts
Here's a neat little towline glider called Flamingo, a pretty recent design by Ricardo Marques Jr. of Brazil. 27" span.

... small planes are not easier then large ones, except when you need to store and transport them ...
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:38 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
Going to the February 1987 AEROMODELLER for further free flight offerings.

The cover photos shows JYM and DAVE LEDDY with their extraordinary Short-Mayo Composite scale control line model.

The first full size plan offering was a 26 1/2 inch wingspan rubber charmer by JOHN WATTERS, the MOTH.

This was a very slightly modified vintage rubber model that first appeared in FLYING ACES in 1937. It's a design that is responsible for getting countless air enthusiasts to become model builders over the years,

As befit’s a beginners model a very detailed and trimming article went with the plan.

It does fly well with a Peck Polymers 81/2 inch plastic propeller, but, as always will give it’s best performance with a carved balsa prop and full layout details are given on the plan.

Next was a “Mini-Vintage” model by MIKE WHITTARD the FLYING STICK.
The full size FLYING STICK by FRANK EHLING also dates from 1937 when it appeared in one of the FRANK ZAIC yearbooks.

This version, reduced to half size, is for CO2 or small electric power and would look a treat stooging about on those rare calm days or indoors. The plan is full size.

Finally the results of an exercise to see how many simple chuck gliders you can make from a minimal amount of balsa ”A FAMILY AFFAIR”

RICHARD BALL explains all with his article and full size plans.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Last edited by algy2; Nov 19, 2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 02:30 AM
Norham West Australia
Joined Jul 2010
81 Posts
Algy2,when did A.M change their front cover design? I really like the old art works. Many thanks for all your great postings. Stephen
tinklewood is offline Find More Posts by tinklewood
Old Nov 20, 2011, 02:36 AM
Norham West Australia
Joined Jul 2010
81 Posts
repeat posting
tinklewood is offline Find More Posts by tinklewood
Last edited by tinklewood; Nov 20, 2011 at 02:43 AM. Reason: repeat posting
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:41 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
Going to two Aeromodellers this time. March 1953 and April 1954

The cover photo of the March issue shows a “Solid” by F. PHELPS of a 1/36th scale Hawker Hunter prototype.

The first free flight plan was for a scale LUSCOMBE 8A SKY PAL by FRANK LEES who sports the latest in trendy head wear for the 1950’s,

The model has a 63 inch wingspan and is the result of three years research by Frank.

Next to contest chuck gliders and MISGUIDED MISSILE by JOHN BARKER.

Of basically simple construction full advice is given on trimming for top performance.

To APRIL 1954 where the first plan was for the free flight/radio control ROHMA.

This was designed by S.MILLER as part of his popular series on radio control running at that time in the magazine. The model has a rather “Blunt” look to it giving it a wonderful vintage air.

Turning next to a long awaited plan for the WW1 SOPWITH TRIPLANE by VIC KING.

This scale model would look a treat flying slowly past with all three wings gently rocking.

It does have pendulum control on the rudder but I think the type shown was inclined to lock up. Might be prudent to leave it off.
Would love to have feedback by anyone who has experience of free flight pendulum control once so popular in the 1950s.

Turning next to another scale plan this time for the rubber powered MAX HOLSTE MH 152 by G.WOOLLS.

It was presented in the centre pages together with the build article and could be built with or without a Frog Gearbox. I have never heard of this light plane before but it would build into a very attractive little model.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Nov 21, 2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:57 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,258 Posts
Thanks for all the effort you've gone through here and on the vintage plans thread Algy2, great stuff. Being a between the wars Polish aircraft nut I especiall like the PZL by McHard.

scrubs
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:20 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodell free flight plans

Hi
This time going to AEROMODELLER for October 1984 in search of free flight plans.

In the Free Flight Scene segment by Dave Hipperson amongst a number of contest reports was details of DERL MORLEY’S 1984 Open Rubber Model.

Although not a full blown plan enough information is given to enable you to build the model.

Next to a real charmer. A full size scale plan of the WW1 fighter the Sopwith Pup.

It is a much modelled subject and this plan, designed by JIM LATHAM, is of sixteen inch wingspan for CO2 or a small electric unit.

The building article is very comprehensive and the photos of the bare structure before covering will have you reaching for the balsa knife.

Scrubs glad you were attracted to the Polish PZL by the great DOUG Mc HARD.

His name was very familiar to readers of AEROMODELLER around the world through his continuous appearances in the magazine from the 50s onwards as a competitor, model designer and writer of articles.

If it was a plan with Doug’s name on it was something special.

Out of curiosity I did a search on Google only to find sadly had he passed away following a heart attack in 2002 aged 73.

Have scanned a tribute to him found on scale models.co.uk and posted it here.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Nov 22, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:36 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodell free flight plans

Stepping back a few decades and the JANUARY 1954 AEROMODELLER.

The cover photo shows BASIL BROOKES with his outstanding free flight ducted fan design of an enlarged LAVOCHKIN powered by an Elfin 2.49 motor.

The first free flight plan had a similar theme to it. It was VULTAN a robust Delta for 1-2cc engines.

The design was by Canadian S/Ldr. L. ELLIS D.F.C and it impressed everybody who saw it fly stably past at the 1953 R.A.F Championships in very bad weather conditions.

It was the end result of seven previous models and gradual development.

Next was LINNET a wonderfully vintage looking low wing sporter for .75 to 1.5 cc engines by BOB WOOLETT.

It is of 42 1/2 inch wingspan, easy to build, has a low wing loading and very good stability.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Nov 24, 2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:56 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,901 Posts
Stan Pearson's 'Peril'?

Thanks Algy for all your posts.

I have the APS Tiger Moth plan but it's very faded now!! Can't imagine cutting all 80 of the riblets out!!

I remember my dad having a 'Peril' by Stan Pearson (a 24" span low wing FF monoplane) and I'd like to build one this winter. I have a hard copy of the plan and it looks quite simple but I assume that there was a build article in the magazine that it came from which was Aeromodeller April 1967.

Would be eternally grateful if you could post that for our interest.

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:35 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,562 Posts
algy,

Just a note of thanks for all the efforts. I. grew up with the notion that British FF Scale was somehow the epitomy of "black arts" and much to emulated. American efforts in scale somehow didn't qute measure up. Of course it wasn't true, but it is part of the mystique I grew up with. Great to see the models again.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit