HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Hi WMD,
Yes the design is a classic. I have the full size junior 60 plan in my collection and often look at it.

Still looking for some vintage style 4” inch pneumatic rubber tyred wheels to put on it. The ones on the market these days here in Australia don’t cut it. I like my vintage models to look vintage and authentic.

Interesting the actual wingspan is 48” not 42”. They have crammed an awful lot of model onto the plan space available so I guess the wires got crossed some where along the line. Still you get more then advertised which doesn’t happen often.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 12:45 AM
Dorset, England
Joined Aug 2005
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Nice work Algy, I love this plan. On investigation it seems this plan is actually 48in span, not the 42in span as stated in the magazine (and on the plan itself). I mean Aeromodeller magazine seem to have made a printing error, when they printed it.

Steve
Indeed they have, I have also noticed that 'Aeromodeller' had another small typo apart from the wingspan in that the captions for the wing rib profiles appear to be transposed. The centre section ribs and the main ribs as shown would give you 16 centre section ribs and just 3 main ribs...unless it is too early in the morning and I am seeing things!

Lovely plan though, I too have the larger original Flair kit of the Junior 60 one which has yet to be built but this smaller one would be a great electric 'floater' in the local park.

Regards

Bridon.
Bridon is offline Find More Posts by Bridon
Old May 17, 2012, 03:59 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller free flight plans

Hi,
We move on a few years and this time the January 2000 AEROMODELLER where on the cover can be seen PETE WATSON launching his FIC at the UK Stonehenge International at Barkston.

It’s a case of everything old is new again with the free flight plans in this issue.

Heading the line up is DINKY DIZZY by GEOFF DUNMORE. Geoff’s original lovely looking design DIZZY DIESEL dates from the 1947 and won the National Rose Bowl competition in 1949 .

This half size version for electric power flies’ equally as well. A treat to see in the air.

Next to another full size plan for oldtimer BOBIK by LUBOMIR KOUTNEY This dates from 1952 and is a simple sport rubber model with a very good performance

How it came into being and became the “Hit” of the village children makes interesting reading in the accompanying article.

Another full size plan is for DICK TWOMEY’S SNOEKLET once again a case of the original designer revisiting his own model.

The original SNOEK first flew in 1949 with SNORKLET faithfully preserving it’s very attractive lines.

Dick said all builds so far have flown of the board.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and a very rare one indeed. A close look is taken of the Halton MAYFLY built by apprentices at the RAF Halton Technical Training School.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; May 26, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old May 19, 2012, 03:19 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
This time it’s to the October 1963 AEROMODELLER with the cover featuring JOHN SIMMANCE proudly holding aloft his very nice scale Sopwith Swallow.
It's powered by Frog 500 and equipped with a Stock and Westley receiver and Bonner RE varicomp escapement plus throttle control via an F. Rising 4 position escapement. Heady stuff in the 1960’s

Firstly was BILL BELL'S FLORIDIAN A/2 Glider.

Apparently it’s a nice performing glider which took out top spot when flown by a junior, Steve Parker in the 1962 Silver Tulsa Glue Doppers trophy.

The construction article with the plan gives all the details.

In conjunction with FLORIDIAN was an in depth article by JIM BAGULEY on trimming and flying gliders. Jim was a member of the British A/2 Glider Team at the World Champs and passes along his many years experience with this class.

Centre page and full size was the plan for an unusual free flight model HEXY.

For a O20 power it is of simple sheet construction and a remarkable performance is claimed.

Sure to raise a few comments when you turn up at the local flying field clutching one.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and G.A.G Cox presents his findings after crawling all over a BEECHCRAFT 17.

Cheers

Algy
Old May 19, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,149 Posts
algy-

thanks for posting those great plans and articles. It's great to see the Aircraft Described too!

Years ago I started drawing up a 1/12 scale Beech 17 plan using Wylam's drawings. Had to stop when I saw those by GAG Cox. Later got the fillets right where wylam has them definitely wrong. Probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise. One looks like the photos and the other doesn't.
Still have my set clipped from that mag.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old May 20, 2012, 04:04 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
Moving up to October 1996 for this edition of AEROMODELLER.

The cover shows a round the pole Harrier by Peter Lambert from Tasmania.

There was one full size plan to be found and it was for six different models.

Designed by RON BADDORF you were invited to Pick n Mix with the MILLI SERIES.

There were electric powered sports F/F models using common components with a 16 inch wingspan. All very ingenious and a lot of fun..

Finally “New Ideas For Plotting Airfoils” by Canadian M. LAVOIE . Full details are given together with aids for plotting them.

Cheers

Algy
Old May 21, 2012, 02:59 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To July 1992 this time for a look at AEROMODELLER.

The cover photo is not a Photoshop fake but Don KNIGHT holding aloft his greatly enlarged Renaut based design of 1939. Has two fourteen strand motors. A 20 inch prop with a gearbox. Span is 102 inches and it weighs in at 47 ounces It was the subject of an article to be found inside.

Two great free flight plans in this issue with the first being BABY COMET for the Knight&Pridham or similar size electric unit.

Designer STEPHEN SMITH said he wanted to bring back the memories of the 30’s and 40’s with this model. He has achieved that plus it’s of simple construction, has a nice looks and performance and cheap to build.

Finally a very nice half size version of the famous Bill Dean Keil Kraft GYPSY.

There has been renewed interest in these Vintage kit designs as of late and the designer of this version, JOHN DAVIES, said it has all the traits of the original with absolute reliability and a light airy flight pattern.

To the building board Jeeves

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Jun 30, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:54 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,539 Posts
>his greatly enlarged Renaut based design of 1939.

Not enlarged ... built to the published plan
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old May 21, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To the July 1990 edition of AEROMODELLER where the cover shows Jonathan Howes with his nicely made rubber scale Bleriot X1 from the Aeromodeller plan.

Two CO2 models were published full size in this issue with the first being MINI PINOCCHIO by JOHN WALDEN.

The original PINOCCHIO 11 by G.MARTIN dating from about 1949 is a very attractive sports power bi-plane.

John had built two full size Pinocchio’s before making this half size version which fly’s just as well as the original. All is explained in the construction article including how best to make the cabane, a tricky area on some models.

The full size Pinocchio 11 plan has been previously posted by Tri Pacer and can be found here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8510

Next to a scale RUMPLER C 1V by JIM LATHAM a 17 inch wingspan WW 1 German Two seater.

The plan shows a nice lightweight structure which even uses a small amount of foam on the nose section.

First trimming flights of the model proved a nightmare until the addition of a small transparent under fin solved all stability problems. Your advised not to leave it off.

Cheers

Algy
Old May 23, 2012, 06:24 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
602 Posts
Plans mentioned as being posted in the C/L group can be found here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=392

Model Aircraft March 1955

Hurricane II 40" Span C/L scale Posted on C/L group

Meson Mk IV 46" spann FF. already posted can be found here http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1491

Fizzlebug 17" span FF for jetex 50

Model Aircraft April 955

Bellance Cruisemaster 40" span FF scale

Nordwing 96" span flying wing A2 glider

Plus a couple from Aeromodeller

Gazookus 35"span FF Parasol Wing sport. plan also suggests could be converted to C/L

Dervish 28"span semi scale C/L stunt Posted on C/L group

RTP Harrier 20" span for electric RTP not sure were to post so have posted on C/L group
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old May 24, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
To the May 1993 AEROMODELLER with the cover featuring a Pistachio scale Handley Page Sayers Monoplane and LE VIBRANT a French Wakefield both of which were to be found inside.

Firstly to the Handley Page Sayers Monoplane by ANDY SEPHTON.

This Pistachio was part of a three part series ran in Aeromodeller in which Andy covered every part of building and flying these fascinating little rubber models.

Follow his advice and success was assured.

Next to VIC SMEED and a scaled down vintage power free flight model dating from 1937.

This was FLYING MIDGET designed especially for Brown Junior power.

Vic’s design follows the original models structure closely except for the number of wing ribs and a D/T is easily fitted.

To a profile scale rubber design next and this is a BRISTOL SCOUT by well known UK modeller TREVOUR FAULKNER.

Trevor said he built three of these models each one lighter then the one before with the final layout being both easy to trim and slow flying.

Finally MIKE GREEN takes a look at LE VIBRANT a Vintage French Wakefield designed by RENE JOSSIEN.

It dated from 1947 and has many contest wins to it’s credit. Full construction details are given but not the wingspan or scale of the published plan. So you are on your own again when enlarging .

Cheers

Algy
Old May 24, 2012, 04:40 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,654 Posts
Algy2:

Thank you for the LE VIBRANT plan. I have included it at full and tiled to its listed 46.5 inch WS.

Warm regards;

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old May 25, 2012, 09:19 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,237 Posts
That Le Vibrant would make a nice 1/2 wake. More info here:

http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com/...Vibrant01.html

I've got it drawn up by Dave Pishery and it will most likely be my next half.

scrubs
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old May 25, 2012, 05:27 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
602 Posts
any C/L plans posted on C/L group here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=398

Model Aircraft November 1954.

Bee 25 25" span C/L sport

Making the most of magazine plans - Article on using the plans as printed in the magazines.

Model Aircraft May 1955

Kirby Motor Tutor 63" span FF scale

Minisoarer 18" span FF sailplane

Pluto 32" span Class A C/L team racer
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old May 26, 2012, 06:31 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

He,
We go to April 1993 AEROMODELLER with the cover highlighting an article inside on rockets.

Another series started in this issue was on PISTASHIO'S by ANDY SPEPHTON.
Entitled “Primarily Pistachios” it was a three part series covering all aspects of these models.

Part two was posted in my previous look at Aeromodeller in association with the Handley-Page Sayers Monoplane scale plan and I will include the third and final instalment in my next posting.

One full size free flight plan and it’s DRUID by Canadian JIM MOSLEY.

Druid is a good flying A/1 glider the result of quite a bit of development work.

Jim said the result is an easy to build and easy to fly model that can hold it’s own with any of the classes.

Thanks to Foamdave for the correct the wingspan of LE VIBRANT and posting a correctly sized plan. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; May 26, 2012 at 08:39 AM.